Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg AT&T Rifles

Default Mossberg AT&T Rifles

I am looking at purchasing a Mossberg ATR 100 rifle for my girlfriend. I believe this is a fairly new model and wanted to ask peoples opinions on it.

Thanks
    Robert
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Robert,

The ATR has been out for a few years now. The 4X4 rifle is newer. The 4X4 has several stock options from a synthetic laminate color and a skeletonized version. The 4X4 can have a fluted barrel and muzzle brake too. I believe that Howa designed the rifle for Mossberg but I can't remeber where I read that. I put out a post over six months ago about the Mossberg rifles too and got nothing back.

I ran into a guy shooting one in 300wm out at Rabbit Creek last month and had the chance to talk about it and see the results. That thing shot very well and gave him no trouble at all. He had a Leupold 3x9 VXII on it if memory serves me well. Having never owner one I can only speak from what I have read and seen but all that information was positive.

Good Luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

The ones I have seen reminded me way too much of the old Raptor rifles. Cast hunk of junk. I haven't handled a brand new one, ie this years model, but if they are anything like the ones from a couple years ago I would stay far far away. My opinion is that a guy should stick to a rifle company for if he wants a good rifle. S&W makes some dang nice pistols, while I find their I-Bolt laughable. Mossberg makes a serviceable budget priced shotgun, but based on their previous offerings I wouldn't get too excited about their CF rifles.

Shop around and find her a used Ruger, push feed Winchester, Remington, or if you just want bare bones serviceable and on the cheap. Get a H&R singleshot for her to use for a while. While not pretty, they generally shoot well, some models come with a scope base, and there isn't alot to go wrong with about 4 moving parts.

Yours and others mileage may vary but that's my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    My opinion is that a guy should stick to a rifle company for if he wants a good rifle... Mossberg makes a serviceable budget priced shotgun, but based on their previous offerings I wouldn't get too excited about their CF rifles.
    While best known for their shot guns today, Mossberg has been making rifles since the 1920s. I personally have a 1934 Model R .22 which shoots very well.

I have heard good things about the ATRs. It is not a high end rifle, but it might be just the thing for the OP's GF IMO. And yes they are Howas; the same folks who make the low end Weatherbys, which are shooters.

Sportsman has the vanguards for 349.00 bucks they are the one with the all black synthetic stocks. Great buy if u ask me, they had a youth model one in a 243 at the wasilla store. I have the youth model in a 7-08 and it shoots very well with a good factory trigger.

Would be worth looking at the new(ish) marlin xl7 if you like the mossberg. Seem to be a tack driver and depending on how tall your GF is they also have a youth size stock available.

Thanks for the responses. More information is always a good thing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I know nothing of the Mossber rifles, but tend to agree with the concept of go to Mossberg for a shotgun, got to Winchester, et al for a rifle.

As a side note, I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Savage rifles. I have a 110, in .243, from the late 90's that I converted from a hunting rifle to an NRA Hi-Power match rifle. Cheap to buy and it's a tack driver. It's the only non-Winchester gun I ever liked.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I know nothing of the Mossber rifles, but tend to agree with the concept of go to Mossberg for a shotgun, got to Winchester, et al for a rifle.

As a side note, I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Savage rifles. I have a 110, in .243, from the late 90's that I converted from a hunting rifle to an NRA Hi-Power match rifle. Cheap to buy and it's a tack driver. It's the only non-Winchester gun I ever liked.
    Well, the Savage family is a good one. I have had several and they were/are great rifles, and usually very affordable.
    As for the Mossberg, be reminded that they are not really Mossbergs, and the Japanese make very good rifles. I doubt Weatherby would market them if they did not.

I would buy a Savage. They are the best value out there for a rifle. They may not be pretty but they sure shoot nice groups. Every Savage i have shot was under 1 MOA. My buddy has a Savage .308 that will shoot .5 MOA with his handloads all day long and his 22-250 will do even better. Sayak was right on with his post as was the person who brought up Savage. I think Mossberg has really went down hill in recent years.

I'm not so sure about all this talk that you shouldn't buy a rifle from a shot gun company. Sayak said it best that Mossberg has been making rifles for a long time. Winchester has been making shot guns for ever as well. Ruger made some fine shot guns too. I own a Mossberg 935 and yes it did have to go back for service but the customer service was very good. Should I have purchased a Benneli? Yup! But my budget didn't allow that. Does my Mossberg get the job done? Yup, and I don't use it that often as well, making my purchase even more sensible as my wife would say. Do I trust my life on it? Well I have never seen a goose or duck that made me that worried. As for cranes well........

The Howa and Weatherby Vanguards get great reviews on this forum but the Mossbergs are usually passed over. As Howa makes the Mossberg and the Weatherby I would expect (and have seen) the rifle to perform well. One thing to remember is the Mossberg is not stainless it is just marine coated like their shot guns and as for resale value, I could not tell you as I have not seen a used one for sale yet.

I didn't mention any other rifle as that is not what the OP asked for though I do love my Savage 116 but that is a couple hundred dollars more than a Mossberg and yes I do trust my life on it as do I with my 629. Some on this forum will scoff at a Savage or Mossberg or Stevens or Marlin or Tikka or almost anyother brand out there at some point in time. Some believe that unless you spend a small fortune on a rifle everything else is junk. Is this true? I don't think so.

You need to have your girlfriend shoulder a couple rifles and see which one fits her best. The Mossbergs are no lighter than most out there though the stock gives the impression that they are. As well how much does your girlfriend plan on using this and in what caliber. Does she have the funds to purchase a higher priced rifle instead? What type of scope is she going to use? Does she have any experience with rifles? If so does she have a preferrence? All this taken into consideration the Mossberg may be a good option for her or it may not. Only she can decide and remeber there are several good quality budget priced rifles out there and yes there will always be somebody there to put it down so both of you do the research and let her buy what she likes and can afford.

Best of luck,
    John

Chinese proverb

Before you drop the coin: does she want a rifle? If so, let her pick it out. Women have very different ideas about everything. Best she pick it, the it'll be hers.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Winchester has been making shot guns for ever as well.
    Yes they have, but Mossberg is no Winchester-never has been. I have a 76 yr old Model 12 that I'd put my life on, if I were that type of person. IMO, nothing compares to the pre-64 Winchesters. However, Winchester attempted to make revolvers once and quickly gave it up, which underscores my point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to knock Mossberg (or anything else, for that matter) but to even mention Mossberg and Winchester in the same sentence...sacrilege.

Sacrilege? That seems a little harsh. I was just stating the facts. Not trying to compare one to the other as to agree with you a Mossberg is no Winchester. However, just because Winchester's marketing team failed to launch their revolver doesn't underscore anything........ I know, I know, relax!

Now exactly what type of person are you assuming I am?

Chinese proverb

If it shoots well, handles well, doesn't jam, doesn't break, doesn't require expensive parts or maintenance, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it is a good firearm in my opinion. I have never been an elitist when it comes to guns. I am an equal opportunity employer of guns.

If the rifle only sees a day or two afield and about the same amount of range time each year, then the Mossberg would be a fine choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If the rifle only sees a day or two afield and about the same amount of range time each year, then the Mossberg would be a fine choice.
    Matt,

Are you feeling OK?

Chinese proverb

I love cheap rifles that can shoot. Why, because that makes them so much fun. Drop $300 or so on a rifle, take it to the range and start punching MOA groups, now that's fun. I have not heard a bad report on the ATR and a lot indicate it is an MOA - 1.5MOA gun. You will achive the same with a Savage (Accutrigger is awesome), Stephens, Mossberg 4x4 or marlin XL7, all running $300-$450.
    So what do you want to achieve, a good (but not extreme precision) shooting gun, that does not break the bank and your GF will enjoy shooting? Any of these guns will do that, any will take game. So take her into a store and get her to try for weight etc.

+1 on the Marlin XS/XL....great trigger, good barrels and you can swap barrels on them just like the Savage with the barrel nut. I took an A&B barrel in 358 Win and put it on a XS that came in 7mm/08, cut it to 20" and it shoots 1.5 MOA. Light gun in a great caliber for less than $500 and I can always go back to the 7mm/08 if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    I love cheap rifles that can shoot. Why, because that makes them so much fun. Drop $300 or so on a rifle, take it to the range and start punching MOA groups, now that's fun. I have not heard a bad report on the ATR and a lot indicate it is an MOA - 1.5MOA gun. You will achive the same with a Savage (Accutrigger is awesome), Stephens, Mossberg 4x4 or marlin XL7, all running $300-$450.
    So what do you want to achieve, a good (but not extreme precision) shooting gun, that does not break the bank and your GF will enjoy shooting? Any of these guns will do that, any will take game. So take her into a store and get her to try for weight etc.
    Some people have a hard time getting past casting marks on bolts, faux checkering, less than perfect bluing (or some other finish) on receiver and barrel, and other small evidences of inexpensive manufacture. Yes, it would be nice if everybody could own and shoot high-end rifles, but that is not the case for most folks. And yes, buying a great shooting rifle in the 3-$400 range means there is no guilt in shooting it up, and taking it out in the field with less than scrupulous care... also more money for ammunition. Heck, I even paint some of my inexpensive rifles! Inexpensive shooters are great fun and a great way to get folks out shooting. Let them buy high end guns when they know they are confirmed shooters/hunters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast