Thread: Caribou & jumping

Default Caribou & jumping

I am doing some research on caribou & need some local input: curious how high & far folks have observed caribou jumping over fences, wires, etc? I have never seen them jump as high or far as some other members of the deer family....

Thanks!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by bjruckus View Post
    I am doing some research on caribou & need some local input: curious how high & far folks have observed caribou jumping over fences, wires, etc? I have never seen them jump as high or far as some other members of the deer family....

Thanks!

Doug
    I've never seen any fences or wires anywhere that I have seen caribou. I have seen them jump fairly high to clear a river bank or edge of a bluff. I would estimate around 3' or so, but seems like they could probably clear much higher.

Well like I said it is research for a potential project...Any observations on jumping over anything more than 5 or 6' would be appreciated.

This is an interesting question! I have seen moose clear an 8' + fence flat footed but never seen a bou jump more than a few foot cut bank. I don't recall ever seeing anything that would require them to jump more than a few feet that wouldn't be easier for them to just walk around.

Maybe give the reindeer farm in Palmer a call and see what their experience is. I'm with the others, the tundra has darn few obstacles for a caribou to jump.

Good idea on the reindeer farm, I will call them, Thanks!

The first time I ever saw a caribou was out by Pilot Point when I was goose hunting. A huge, white caped bull watched me and then jumped straight up and took off. I was so impressed by that magnificent jump that I knew I wanted to hunt them some day. Now I know he wasn't jumping to clear anything, but I certainly think a caribou could if one had to.