Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 year wilderness expedition - Route and tips

Default 2 year wilderness expedition - Route and tips

Hi everybody,

For some time now I´ve been planing a 2 year trip/expedition starting in Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. Comming closer to the trip, and looking at airplane tickets Ive had to change the starting area to Anchorage, Alaska. This as Im bringing a dog, and the only company reasonably cheap on this is Condor, and they don't fly to Canada in the time Im traveling..

Soo.. I will arrive Anchorage in the very beginning of June 2012. The plan is to not have a plan. But, I would like to look at some different options. I will probably have to head towards Canada, joust to make the immigration paperwork easier. I will probably have 6 months in Alaska, before I should cross the border to Canada, where I will automatically get another 6 months of stay.

What would you do? Wich areas would you walk through? Nice canoe routes heading towards canada? Nice small villages to visit? Anything really, Im looking for tips and information that could help me along

I will update my blog while underway on the trip, currently only in norwegian, but will post in english as the expedition starts. http://ulketur.com

Hope you have a Plan "B" or a quarter million Yankee dollars to throw at this Adventure Hike.

hehe, thats why the plan is to not have any. Because anything could happen, and have to adapt to what happens. I have my sponsors, a deal with a magazine, television production and my own savings to make this work. That is not for you to worry!

good to see an adventure in the makings..
    a few years ago,, well maybe 6 or 7 years ago I had a fellow from Austria that stopped in my place asking about canoes..
    He ended up staying with us for a month,, he helped build a pole building and some other projects around the campground..
    ended up with one of my canoes.. and his adventure continued on..
    I found a new friend out of the deal.. learned alot about a different culture and life..and it has made my life richer..
    I say go for it.. have a great time ,, do not travel to fast.. take time to know people and to create some memories.
    it works both ways with travelers.. the people they meet get just as much from the event as the traveler..
    If you get down this way on the kenai... look me up
    would enjoy your visit.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks.
    Yeah, toatlly agree with you. Ive been doing long distance sailing before, and met some incredible people along the way, people I still keep in touch with. Especially a fellow in Marocco, who I stayed with almost 3 weeks. Have some amazing memories from the stay, and still hear his voice in my head.

If I was going to think about doing it in a boat I would look into the "portage" between the Mackenzie River and the Porcupine river.

http://books.google.com/books?id=zVB...ortage&f=false

I quote from above:

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Parliment debate
    Then accross Slave Lake northwest and enter the MacKenzie river...down MacKenzie River to mouth of Peel River, then ascend Peel River to Fort Peel, then Hudson's Bay Company's post portage to the Porcupine River...
    That will get you into the Yukon drainage and on to Nome if you like. Never done it, never heard of it until I read this thread and googled, pretty lonely up there.

If anyone has an old canoe, of knows of anywhere I can find a cheap canoe, let me know! To save money I can't bring my canoe from Norway, and want to get a super cheap one/near free. Every dollar saved, another day in the wild I can stay

Bring an Ally pack canoe with you from Norway, hike, fly, drive or whatever to the upper porcupine country...

Would love to, but don't have the money for the Ally. (obviously have enough money for it, but not if Im going to survive for two years in the wild)

Just a quick heads up but since you mentioned "Television Production" there may well be permitting fees before you can use any footage from AK in a commercial production.

One more "Blogger" having a "Wilderness Survival Fantasy #%@$%#@$@", with no grasp of the cost or skill-set required, but hoping to profit from marketable film footage.

Interesting how easily we get seduced into feed other peoples fantasies.
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 10-04-2011 at 18:36.

..And its facinating how quick you judge other persons, based on nothing

mingebretsen, first off best of luck and more power to you for the journey you are embarking on. Hopefully it will be a genuinely great experience.

You have to realize, however, that some folks will be critical of this based on a few things. Many of us have seen people with the same goals as you have, get themselves into some very real, and oft times fatal, dire situations up here. Alaska (and Canada) is a Big Land and while it is Grand and Beautiful, it is also Demanding and Unforgiving.

With that said, this Land wouldn't be what it is had it not been for those folks (past and present) with an adventurous spirit, a steadfast purpose, and perhaps most importantly the physical and mental fortitude to see their individual goals to fruition.

Best of luck to you, may it be all you hope it is, and may you come away with a healthy respect for this place and all it has to offer.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    One more "Blogger" having a "Wilderness Survival Fantasy Masturbation", with no grasp of the cost or skill-set required, but hoping to profit from marketable film footage.

Interesting how easily we get seduced into feed other peoples fantasies.
    Wow. AGL, you don't have the first clue who this guy is, what his skill-set is, how experienced or prepared he is, etc. Speaking of fantasies, you seem to have concocted one yourself with regards to who this man may or may not be. There are plenty of people with the wherewithal to pull something like this off, not just folks who live in cabins in semi-remote Alaska. There are plenty of sponsored explorers who do this very sort of thing for a living, for better or worse.

How about you ask him about his skills, give advice based upon your experiences, and form a helpful bond rather than casting stones? If he is indeed unprepared and getting into something that is over his head, perhaps your words of wisdom will help him realize that. If not, perhaps we can learn something in return from his adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by mingebretsen View Post
    ..And its facinating how quick you judge other persons, based on nothing
    OK, Tell me about you.

Age, Longest land solo expedition, how many 6 month expeditions, longest time with out ever seeing or hearing the another human, Your physical condition (example once a week you compete in 100 mile "Orienteering competitions, or you hump a 60 pound pack 12 miles every Saturday). You have been lost in the wilderness and got yourself out without help how many times. List all of the equipment you currently own for this expedition. First aid skills, rope skills, wilderness survival skills, military training, non-electronic wilderness signaling skills......?

And your realistic estimated cost for this adventure expedition. What cameras will you be packing......? What firearms, food procurement plans, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Wow. AGL, you don't have the first clue who this guy is, what his skill-set is, how experienced or prepared he is, etc. Speaking of fantasies, you seem to have concocted one yourself with regards to who this man may or may not be. There are plenty of people with the wherewithal to pull something like this off, not just folks who live in cabins in semi-remote Alaska. There are plenty of sponsored explorers who do this very sort of thing for a living, for better or worse.

How about you ask him about his skills, give advice based upon your experiences, and form a helpful bond rather than casting stones? If he is indeed unprepared and getting into something that is over his head, perhaps your words of wisdom will help him realize that. If not, perhaps we can learn something in return from his adventure.

You are correct: And I will help him if he wants and will accept my help.

AlaskaHippie: Thanks for the support. Yes, I´ve been "attacked" both on internet and in person many times before, People telling me that I'm crazy, should be put in a mental hospital, that its one thing that I will die, but that I have to think about the family and friends I leave behind, and how they will feel.. Seems like people think that if they don't want to do it, nobody should do it. Or to quote Mike Horn "We say something is impossible if no one has ever tried it". Not that no one have ever done this, but you get my point

AGL4now: I much appreciate your concern, and I asume you are a knowledgeable man with good experience, so I will be very glad to get advice and help from you! Now, we will probably have to agree that we have different views on life, and what is needed to do different things, but hope you want to help even though we have some different thoughts.

I work as a dog musher in Norway, both guiding tourists in the mountains, and doing long distance mushing and participating in races like Femundlopet (600km mushing). This is a job I get very little money out of, but I do it because this is what I love. Beeing out in the nature and mountains every day and working with the dogs. Every day is different, and I never know what to expect. Experience from short and longer month trips in the Norwegian mountains. Having gotten my self out of death threatening situations two times on sea, being able to keep my mind positive, even in the darkest situations. Im not jumping from some month trips in norway, to a 2 year expedition in Alaska/Canada. Although the route is not planned, I will go from village to village, no distances being much longer that a month, and most shorter. Resting, resupplying and meeting other people before I continue, maybe stay a month in a small village before heading on.

Some will say that its crazy, but this is my way of living. To use another of my favorite quotes, by Borge Ousland

"Now. To live now is to be in the leap between what you are and what you want to be. Into the unknown where you are constantly stretching yourself against something that is bigger than what you have been before."

This is my way of living, this is me stretching into the unknown. For some that might be trying to get a promotion at work, or getting a new big contract. For me, its this.
    I have sponsors, write for magazine and film my adventures, only to get some money to finance the next trip. To be able to continue living in the dream, doing what Im most passionate about.

I would love getting your advice and help, but I hope you understand that I get tired off people saying Im gonna die, and trying to talk me out of doing it. Talking me out of living. People have tried, but failed But some advice and help I will be great full for, and will probably help men to tackle situations in a better way.

I am 100% for people dreaming BIG and going for it. I hope you do it and everything works out perfectly. I am active on the Wilderness Survival Forum (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forum.php) and once a week we get 15 year olds who have never been outside New York City, and what to go build a cabin in the wilderness and live for a year off what the land provides.

Sounds like you have the skill and drive to make your vision manifest.

Sorry for my rudeness.

I'd contact Buck Nelson as he's done long expeditions like this before...he's a member here too...

Default hmmmm

first thing that came to mind was "don't do anything illegal" (bring animal without permission, overstay your visa, trespass):

1. youmay have to quarantine your dog here in the USA for a bit - please check our laws; and obey the laws (where excluded or leash required) as appropriate, regarding bringing said animal into the wild.

2. "immigration" papers - you must mean customs; two year trip in USA and Canada; 6 months here - 6 months Canada, and then another 12 months somewhere. Gave me pause to wonder what visa classification that is. Good luck on all that.

3. hopping from "village to village"; uh huh; I wonder what the natives up there will think of that.....

4. "saving money" - not enough money for an ally canoe, not enough money to fly to the NWT, does anyone have a cheap canoe. What are we talking about here? Is your occupation going to be homeless or what?

5. my guess is OP's idea of planning is to take one of those emergency transponder devices and press the button after the first significant issue (e.g., all your stuff got chewed up by an animal bcz you thought you were a clean camper but really a slob, or your dog hassled a bear, you ran out of food, you can't hunt, fish, or some other such). Lots of luck on that when (if) authorities arrive. I think that's what AGL4now is implying in his expectation of "your vision manifest".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast