Thread: Squidro

Default Squidro

Can anyone out there give a step by step on the Squidro fly?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Yes, come on over.

Hook: Mustad SL53UNP, Mustad 36890 (discontinued), or Waddington shank, 35mm (discontinued)
    Thread: 3/0
    Eye: varies, but 3/16 dazleye seems to be the most popular
    Dubbing: raccoon or arctic fox
    "Legs": Hot-tipped crazylegs
    Body: silver flatbraid
    Head dub: rabbit
    Shell: grizzly hackle

Place primary hook in vise. If using as shank, determine cutting point and start 1/8"-3/16" eyeward. If using as retriever-style (trailer hook), affix trailer hook and material. Tie in eyes about 1/8"-3/16" from hookeye, making sure to mount them on the "bottom" of the hook.

At the posterior end, tie in the rubberlegs on top and bottom so the material faces towards the eye and wrap forward 1/8"-3/16". Return the thread to the posterior tie-in and, using fox/raccoon in a dubbing loop, create a dubbing ball up to the end of the threadline holding the crazylegs in place.

Cross through the legs and slick them back over the dubbing. Pin back with a material clip, as they are a PITA to hold out of the way. Using well-combed fox/raccoon in a dubbing loop, make a couple of wraps to hold the legs in the "proud" position. Tie in the flatbraid and wrap forward to 1/4" behind eyes.

Again, tie in the rubberlegs on top and bottom so the material faces towards the eye and wrap forward just short of the eye. Return the thread to the posterior tie-in and, using fox/raccoon in a dubbing loop, create a dubbing ball up to the end of the threadline holding the crazylegs in place.

Cross through the legs and slick them back over the dubbing. Pin back with a material clip. Create a dubbing loop of rabbit and take a few turns behind the eyes, then crisscross over the eyes to provide coverage.

Select 2 hackles for the shell and tie in over the head. Clip from the shank to provide the distinctive "vee" in the feather.

the power of....the search button, its at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mh9i7l3rw

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    the power of....the search button, its at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mh9i7l3rw
    Bowdy I saw that but it goes by real fast with no explaination. Gsmolt yet again you are the man! Dmahay we have talked about trying to cross paths for awhile. We need to make it happen.

Piscor Ergo Sum

Yea sorry that post sounded sort of arrogant, not intentional. Good visual to go along with G's breakdown though.

yeah, your right man. Not sure what else to offer other than my wifes tits.

Quote Originally Posted by dmahay View Post
    yeah, your right man. Not sure what else to offer other than my wifes tits.
    Dmahay thanks for the laugh! I am at work til Nov 2nd. I will hit you up after that for sure!

Piscor Ergo Sum

Default Squidro

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0206.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	54369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0207.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	54370

These are 2 Squidros that I tied up last night. Didnt fish the Purple/Pink but the Black/Purple was awesome! Caught this nice Dolly and some Steel today on it! No pics of the Squidro in a Steelie, you all know the rules, you will just have to take my word for it! Great fly, I recommend as a must tie!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Nice, way to go Franken Fish.