Thread: Winterizing a Surface drive

Default Winterizing a Surface drive

I decided to winterize my Surface Drive today and call it quits to the boating season, kind of bummed out about no duck hunting but have lot's to do around the house.

Here's what I did:
    1. Started the motor and ran it until hot (5 minutes)
    2. Sprayed Sea Foam Deep Creep directly into the carb at mid-rpms.
    3. Disconnected the fuel line to the pulse pump, and filled that with 50/50 Sea Foam and gas.
    4. Started the motor back up until the mixture in the fuel line ran into the carb.
    5. When I noticed a change in RPM's I knew the sea foam made it into the jet
    6. Revved the motor and sprayed an additional amount back into the Carb. until the motor died.
    7. Took the valve cover off (one screw) and doused the valves/springs with sea foam while slowly turning the motor over to open each valve (they're completely clean).
    8. Unscrewed the Spark Plug and sprayed a bit more into the cylinder.
    9. Drained what was left from the fuel line, and drained the carb bowl.
    10 on the bowl side screw, I partially filled the bowl with sea foam.
    11. Doused the outside of the motor with with a coat of sea foam to include all the springs.

The stuff makes a good fogging oil among other things.

Default house calls?

Do you do ATVs & lawn mowers? Oh yeah, and make house calls?

Your motor is lucky to have such a knowledgeable owner.

Now that you posted that, everyone else's motor is going to want you to be their owner.

Thanks Mainer!!

Never heard of Deep Creep but if it is half as good as it sounds, I'll try it.

Forum Member AKres put me on this stuff about a year ago. We had an old fj-60 landcruiser that had a dead spot in the rpm's. Tried it out on the carb, in the oil, and in the fuel since the landcruiser was so old. It took most of the hesitation away. Two stroke snow machine carbs are another thing I use it on as snow machines sit for quite a few months.

Where do Alaskans get Sea Foam Deep Creep?

I assume you also change the oil, and check that there's no water in the drive unit?

Your thread is very timely advice.

I think Oriley's has has it. I didn't drain the Castrol Synthetic oil in my motor because it isnt ready for a change yet. I only drain the oil when it has fully changed from a honey color, to a dark brown. For a six month hibernation in my heated garage.....the oil will be good for probably another 20 hours of run time next season. Water plug in lower unit was pulled. I don't let anything but marine grease get on the belt so basically a non toxic simple green degreaser and a pressure washer to the lower unit to blow out all the gunk. With the drain plug pulled and the belt cover off, I turned up the heat for a toasty dried Surface Drive.

mainer ...

You must be the most knowledgeable and thorough user of surface-drive around. good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    mainer ...

You must be the most knowledgeable and thorough user of surface-drive around. good advice.
    And moreover, he shares his knowledge and lessons-learned for free.