Thread: Cabela's Outback Lodge Tent

Default Cabela's Outback Lodge Tent

I kinda stumbled on to this tent while looking at tipi tents. I'm thinking of the the 12'x 12' model to use for canoe or 4 wheeler camping above 10 degrees where weight is not an issue and it would have plenty of room for 3 or 4 folks on the gound or 2 in cots. Reviews seem to be fairly good on the ones on Cabela's site. Does anyone have any experience with this tent?

From their web site:

Cabela's Outback Lodge Tent

Quite possibly the simplest design among quality tents today. Camping with the Outback Lodge ends the hassle of fighting with cumbersome pole sets. Setting up the Outback Lodge is as simple as (1) staking out the corners, (2) raising the single center pole and four internal corner poles, then (3) securing the guy lines. That's it; camp is made. You can even leave the center pole at home and simply hang the center peak of the tent from a limb for a lightweight spike camp. Walls are constructed of 190T nylon taffeta treated with a 1,500mm polyurethane waterproof-rated coating. The long-wearing floor is constructed of 210-denier oxford nylon. Double-pull zip-close door with zippered No-See-Um mesh panel. Three No-See-Um mesh windows, two new mesh-screen vents near the top and newly redesigned ventilation panels on the sidewalls reduce condensation. Plenty of headroom adds an extra measure of comfort. Stakes and stuff bag included. Optional floor liner for easy cleanup and extended floor life. Imported.

Default outback tent

I have the 8x8. it is ok, my use is for hunting solo and ease of setup in windy wyoming. the interior will frost up in cold weather but will evaporate during the day if it is sunny. mine is three years old and is a replacement for an older one. the newer version has much better venting. have not tried any heat source in the tent which may help the drying. i do like the tent, much better than the canvas cowboy tepees.
    It does have a lot of need for stakes on the sides, maybe a stick to tie to and two corner stakes would work. will try that next time.

My father and I have used the 12x12 for years now in New Mexico, Colorado and here and Iwe love it, very easy to put up and take down, it hold rain ok but I always carry a can of waterproof spray just to help... it dries out very fast and the best part is you can stand all the way up and also hang up all you clothes to dry etc... Great tent IMO

Cabela's just put these on sale so I picked up the 8 man (12'x12') for $304 and a Mr. Heater Big Buddy reconditioned heater for $90 to run off the 20 lb propane tank. I'll try to get out after it arrives to test it out some and give an opinion after some use.

Thanks for the recommendations!!

I just spent a weekend in the 8 man and the big buddy heater. Returning the tent to Cabelas. The roof vents won't stay open with the stays without curling up and exposing the openings to the rain. We had to velcro them closed. The condensation was bad enough to puddle on the floor. The Big Buddy heater wasn't enough to heat it up and I don't think we hit freezing. It definitely kept the chill off. I ran it on high all night to see how much fuel we used out of the 20 lb cylinder, about half for 12 hrs. First night I ran it on low and it used about 1/4 tank. It was pretty windy the first night (20 to 30 mph maybe) and it did good. Over all not the tent I thought it would be. I thought it would behave more like a wall tent with woodstove type of cozy atmosphere, but not quite there.

Darn....wish I had seen this 2 days ago. I guess I will give it a try and see how it works for me. I too thought it would be kinda like a wall tent and I was hoping the heater would do a better job of keeping it warm....we'll see.

The tent came today and I was pleasantly surprised when I set it up. It was raining lightly while I was setting it up and the stake the corners and raise the center pole got a large area usable and dry even without the side guys and perimeter corner posts. It probably took me 20 minutes to fully set up the tent in the yard. Not long after I got it guyed and staked, the wind came up and I opened the vents on the sides and top and the wind blew thru the tent really well and would be a blessing in hot weather to get air movement inside the tent.

I set up 2 extra large cots and 2 folding chairs with a roll up table in between and there was a lot of room left over. This thing will be really nice for my wife and I with plenty of room for gear inside. I rearranged the cots and chairs and was able to pull my DRZ 400 into the tent. Not something I would normally do but it does give an idea how much room there is in this sucker.

Way too warm to fire up the heater and I realized I did not order the hose for the 20 lb tank so I guess I need to get a hose and hold off for some weather that can test the heater. The jury is still out on the tent but I do feel better about my purchase after I got to play with it some today. Once I get into conditions like HNTR experienced then we'll see how it reacts.

Well, after a couple of days with rain and wind 15-25 G 30mph no leaks and my only complaint is that when you open the zipper on the front door, a fair amount of water runs into the tent before you can get the door zipped closed again. An easy fix would be an awning sewed or velcro attached above the door that was wide enough to cover the door entrance and keep water from dripping into the tent. 6' wide and 6' long would be great and could be set up with two poles that were guyed out from the tent or in the case of high winds could have one corner staked and the other loose where you could duck under the awning before opening the zipper on the front door. Other than that, no problems.

Dropping the side vent ropes with a log laid on the ropes made it so there was very little wind coming into the tent from the side where the wind was hitting. The other side was left up so there was plenty of venting inside the tent. I spent one night in the tent with temps down to about 35F (wife thinks I'm crazy) and was plenty warm on a cot with a wool blanket under me inside a 35 degree down bag with my poncho liner laying on top.

I picked up a 12' hose for the Big Buddy heater and will give that a try as soon as we get a colder night. So far not a bad tent!!