Thread: eberlestock X2 - Opinions

Default eberlestock X2 - Opinions

I am looking at getting a new pack for 1 and 2 day hunts - blacktails, goat and small game. I have 'ultralighted' most of my hunting gear and now am at the stage where (for short hunts) my empty pack weighs far more than it's contents!!
    I am looking for a light pack that has the ability to carry the essentials (waterproofs, siltarp, light sleeping bag, food, water, jetboil, etc) and pack down small, but also expand to take meat.
    I am looking really closely at the Eberlestock X2, have handled and tried it for size and I really like it and the fact that it appears to be what I am looking for. Online reviews seem to like it, with some hunters packing out with meat and a total of 70# plus.
    Anyone own one, have any opinions. Thanks in advance.

I have one and love it I use it for exactly what you have described. The bow holder is ok makes your bow sit really high which can make it catch branches but could just be my bow. The rifle scabbard works awesome. I have had around 60 lbs in it with no problems. Very comfortable and adjustable pack.

I own an X2 and have used it hard for 4 consecutive years. This is my preferred all-day pack for hunting moose, deer...heck, just about everything. I have yet to find a better-optioned or more versatile pack. The construction on it is excellent, and I've had no failures with mine. I carry the necessary gear for a full day of hunting with no problem...including my sizeable first aid kit, 2 good cameras, spotting scope, water-filter bottle, and extra clothes. I also carry a magnum sidearm on the waist belt. Mine has been around and seen a lot of action, yet it still has years of use left.

IMO: Not a bivy pack. Not a meat packer. Not designed to carry heavy loads with comfort. It has the strength, but the size of the pack means you'll have problems distributing weight between the hips and shoulder. The belt is more designed for the belly/waist than the hips. You could pop 70 pounds on it and go...I just wouldn't recommend doing 3 miles in Alaska with it, unless your shoulders are solid steel.

I love my X2. It worked great on st 12 day moose hunt. It easily carried all the gear needed each day including a spotting scope and tripod.

It also easily carried a rear quarter from a spike/fork. It was a short carry though. I don't know if any pack would be great fun for a 2-3 mile hike.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Check out this thread on the bowsite's elk forum. Seems that most folks are really happy with their X2s.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforum...388403&forum=5

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    I love my X2. It worked great on st 12 day moose hunt. It easily carried all the gear needed each day including a spotting scope and tripod.

It also easily carried a rear quarter from a spike/fork. It was a short carry though. I don't know if any pack would be great fun for a 2-3 mile hike.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    HAHA, anything more than a fanny pack is no fun in the AK Alders and mountains!! Seriously, thanks for opinions sounds like the X2 is just what I am looking for.

I like the X1 for wheeler and sled based hunting. I carry a frame pack on the rack for any real hauling though. For a rifle hunter the X1 scabbard is slick as heck! Keeps the rifle low and actually doesn't get in the way when alder busting. It looks like it would get in the way going over logs and such but I usually bend over and put a hand on the obstacle any way which raises the barrel of the rifle up and clears fine. The X2 looks like it would serve your purpose very well and while I wouldn't want to do an all day heavy meat haul in an eberlestock it will get the job done for a short first haul out then return with a real frame for packing quarters. I have seen the tactical version several times used by soldiers in Iraq and they all loved them compared to any other issued pack systems.

I used to have one, great day pack and a serviceable first load pack, but it's best to get back to camp and grab the frame pack for hauling an animal. Otherwise a good bag, and the new frame they put in them is an upgrade from the older model.

Just picked one up today. Local outfitter is also my hunting partner and he needed a favor doing, so gave me a good discount on the X2 in return.
    We are out again for Goat this weekend, so it will get a good test. Spent last Saturday on the hills with my kid, buddy and his kid. We had the herd pegged, but could not get to them with the young boys and then off the ridge in daylight, they were just a ridge too far! So plan to spike this Saturday night and get on em Sunday early. I'll let y'all know how the X2 fairs.