Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 or 27 or ? for a female

Default Glock 26 or 27 or ? for a female

Got a question for you shooters out there. I own a Glock 23 with plenty of magazines to accommodate it. I recently bought my wife a Ruger LCP without having her hold it. It was a surprise for her when she got back from seeing her family. We took it shooting, and the recoil is a bit much for her. In her own words, she is scared of it. The slide is very stiff for her. Trigger pull is long and I just don't think she likes it. She said more trigger time might giver her a second opinion. I am not sure about that. Even I have a little trouble with it. I will keep it but it's the raspberry color. I really don't care about the color, but I do wish it was black!

Anyways, I am think of going with a baby Glock for her. Either the 26 or the 27. She likes the 23, handles it okay. Not great, but she can shot it. I have not shot a baby Glock, nor has she. Now my gut says get the 26 for her. Recoil is lighter and cheaper ammo for more practice. Still potent enough to stop the threat. However, I am thinking the 27 because I already own the 23. Mags interchange and same ammo. I am also thinking the 27 because if she decides to hate it, then I can have it. And I would rather have a 27 than a 26. See my dilemma?

Any advise? What would you do?

I am also looking at other options:

Ruger LC9

Ruger SR9c

....and any other you may suggest for a female with small hands.

I have a Smith and Wesson 642, so please no revolver options.

Thanks

As someone who has been married for 17 years i can say without question "let her pick it out". have her try different ones and see what fits her hands. Also whats more important to her (concealability, accuracy, comfort when shooting, and etc)? My wife chose the S&W M&P full size. Would not have been my first choice but its a great gun and she picked it so she likes it. The most important things to her was that it fit her hand and how easy it was for her to rack the slide.

I do not think she will carry it. At least not on a regular basis. She is a teacher; therefore, she cannot take it to work. But, I'd like to see her in the future take it when she goes else where. It will most likely be a purse gun. Also, I would love for it to serve as a good range gun. So we both can go together and compete against one another, ect...

I took her to look at some guns and all she said was "i don't know, they all look the same to me". Ugh, the do not look the same to me! Maybe I will take her back and have her handle the ones she picks out. It's hard to not pick it out for her!

yeah. even if they all look the same to her i would be surprised if she thought they felt the same. If you guys want to compete against each other come out to the range in Palmer and shoot an IDPA match. Great gun and good trigger time! and they are very supportive of new shooters.

Trade? What kind of female you looking for? I got a couple buddies who would happily trade you their spouse for either a G27 or G26

XD .40? I've got one that I'll deal on, NIB!

I would go with the 26 over the 27 for a multitude of reasons. The most important being that 9mm Glocks are notoriously more reliable than .40 cal Glocks. And frankly Glock mags aren't expensive enough to justify getting another .40 simply for magazine interchangeability.

With that said, I've yet to find a situation where I could conceal a 26 and not a 19. So for someone who isn't likely to carry their gun at all, I would say the 19 is a far superior choice. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post

With that said, I've yet to find a situation where I could conceal a 26 and not a 19. So for someone who isn't likely to carry their gun at all, I would say the 19 is a far superior choice. YMMV.
    I could not agree more, I am an avid shooter and carry everywhere i go and i have yet to find something i enjoy carrying more than the glock 19. It is a great gun to take to the range and blow through 1000 rounds with no problem, and at the same time stick in the waist band and walk around with all day in a nice crossbreed. I used to own a glock 27 and it was "okay". In addition, if this gun is for your wife like my g19 is, get something that is fun for her shoot and to take to the range and play around with, get her something that she can get a full hand on. Because that hanging pinky finger does make a large difference on recoil. And personally when i carry, i like something i can get a full hand on when i go to draw it. That smaller grip makes a huge difference in my speed and confidence in drawing the pistol when i really need it.
    But, as you said this is for your wife. I agree strongly with what other people have said about let her feel different pistols out and find what feels right for her. Just because it is for a female, does not mean it has to be a smaller framed gun. Often the small frame pistols have a bigger punch because you can not get a full hand on them and they don't weigh much. I agree with your wife, the those super small .380's and 9's are no fun to shoot because they sting the hand. I have a kel tec .380 and it is a handful despite the small caliber.
    I think the 9mm and .380 calibers are excellent for females, but you have to let them find something that works for them. Consider the Walther pk380, a small gun that is perfect for the purse but you can get a full hand on and have minimal recoil. In addition it is a blast to shoot with a D/A to S/A which i find more practical for a purse gun rather than a glock or a XD 9 which is also an excellent choice.

Being the considerate guy I am, I went to get my wife the Glock 19. The shop recommended that she come in and they could fit her to the gun. We did and she picked the M&P 9.... She has arthritis in her hands but does really well with the M&P. Very ergonomic, which made her more comfortable with the weapon from the gitgo. She was able to work the slide better on the M&P too, especially since Glock has gone to Gen 4s now. Good luck!!

Since we are tossing around lady guns my wife LOVES her Kimber ultracarry II! The 45 is a bit much for my 7yo but my oldest (9) shoots it pretty well and the wife can shoot through a party pack with a smile on her face. She likes it's feel and the compact 1911 is as sexy as they come so she shows it off to her girl friends whenever the topic comes up.

My wife really doesn't shoot, but my 16 y.o daughter does occasionally. She far prefers full sized pistols for shooting vs. compacts. She flat shoots my XDm .40, but she prefers the feel of the M&P9 and the SR9 to all other handguns she has tried, even (gasp)my 1911.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by ak_tech View Post
    As someone who has been married for 17 years i can say without question "let her pick it out". have her try different ones and see what fits her hands.
    Quite clearly ak_tech nailed this one -- "let her pick it out". There's really no dilemma, since the gun isn't for you.

Doesn't matter how hard it is "to not pick it out for her", if you want her to enjoy shooting then support her to find what fits. Also, it isn't enough for her just to hold them, pay whatever it takes to let her try before she buys, and consider it money well spent. Might make the difference between her choosing to carry or to leave it at home.

IMHO, sell that raspberry LCP and use the proceeds to buy her some additional training!

Quote Originally Posted by ph21 View Post

I have a Smith and Wesson 642, so please no revolver options.

Thanks
    This says it all. He doesn't want a pistol for his wife, he wants another pistol for himself.

Dude, if you want your wife to become interested in shooting enough to use her own sidearm, bend over, grab your shoulders, and pull your head out: let her pick it out and buy it. Get her to handling revolvers as they are far easier to manipulate than semi's (especially something as ridiculous as a baby Glock). You cannot make your wife want to shoot.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    This says it all. He doesn't want a pistol for his wife, he wants another pistol for himself.

Dude, if you want your wife to become interested in shooting enough to use her own sidearm, bend over, grab your shoulders, and pull your head out: let her pick it out and buy it. Get her to handling revolvers as they are far easier to manipulate than semi's (especially something as ridiculous as a baby Glock). You cannot make your wife want to shoot.

Umm, that is not exactly the advise I was looking for. I will let her pick it out as it has already been mentioned. That was good advise from the previous poster. I am not looking for a handgun for myself. However, if she decides she does not like it, then I am stuck with it. Since I am stuck with it, it may as well serve a purpose to me unlike the raspberry LCP. I don't mind the LCP, just not a fan of the color. She picked out the raspberry LCP prior to me buying it. But I failed to have her hold it first prior to my purchasing it. I bought it while she was out of state. I also bought a CTC laser for it. I like the little gun, but it might be on the chopping block.

As far as revolvers, absolutely they are better for training and handling for a newbie than a semi-auto. However, I am going on what she likes and she was not keen on the revolver. Therefore, I am not forcing the revolver down her throat. If she wants to shoot it, use it, carry it, then it's already here for her. She showed more interest in the semi-autos. So that's why I am testing the waters to see what other females like and what she may like.

There are a couple gun shops in town that my wife will not even walk through the door of because they kept trying to shove a lady smith down her throat when she was shopping for her first handgun. She also wanted a semi-auto primarily because she wanted added safety of being able to carry it on an empty chamber. We have good kids that don't touch guns but for something that spends time in her purse she wanted a pistol that needs more than a trigger squeeze to go bang. Her first words when she saw the Kimber in the case was "honey, that one is beautiful!". After she held it she gave me that "can I have it look" like a teenage girl over a puppy. Now any time I go to the range she looks forward to tagging along to shoot her own gun. Even better is that she had no argument when I picked up an XD45 for me on the guise of being able to share ammo. A good accessory to get is one of the Up-Lula loaders which takes the sting out of loading lots of mags at the range.

Either option is a great choice but seeing as how you could interchange magazines if the situation called for it, the 27 seems to be a more viable option.

If you're considering other options Kimber has a new 9mm called the Solo that's definetly worth looking at.

if she goes to that ladies only night that is every other Tuesday at Mat Valley Sportsman's im sure they would be very accommodating and let her try different guns that are there. Also if you guys come out one of these Wednesday nights just let me know and she can try my wife's M&P or anything else i have she may like. Just PM me if you want.

Gabe

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    There are a couple gun shops in town that my wife will not even walk through the door of because they kept trying to shove a lady smith down her throat when she was shopping for her first handgun...
    My wife would only go into Sportsman's Warehouse because of how she has been treated at the other gun shops in the past

Quote Originally Posted by ak_tech View Post
    My wife would only go into Sportsman's Warehouse because of how she has been treated at the other gun shops in the past
    Give Chimo's a shot. One of the guys there is a "gun guy" that fits the standard mold of gun store counter trolls that seem to only want to sell to "gun people". The son-in-law of the owner is the only one I deal with and he has been very helpful! There are better prices to be had elsewhere, but higher prices aside he has sold my wife 2 guns now, her Ruger compact .308 that she got her first moose with and the Kimber.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Give Chimo's a shot. One of the guys there is a "gun guy" that fits the standard mold of gun store counter trolls that seem to only want to sell to "gun people". The son-in-law of the owner is the only one I deal with and he has been very helpful! There are better prices to be had elsewhere, but higher prices aside he has sold my wife 2 guns now, her Ruger compact .308 that she got her first moose with and the Kimber.
    I don't know his name, but the big guy who works there has been the best to me. Very helpful and not a snobby 'gun guy' like you said above...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast