Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Hunting .?

Angry Road Hunting .?

Hello all. I don,t post much on this forum, but thought you might like to hear this one. On 10/30/11 I was out on Palmer Creek road after black bear. It was a really pleasant day. I had not seen anyone on the road all morning. Around 11:15 am I spotted a nice bear about 2/3 the way up a mountain. I was ready to go and had time to glass and plan a stalk.

After getting thru the thick alders at the mountain base I could clearly see my quarry. I proceeded to climb to a parallel position. I was within 350/400 yards of the animal. I did not need my bino,s anymore as one could plainly see the bear at this time. Suddenly, I heard loud voices. Hey"he is over here" one shouted.!! Let,s "go get him" or something to that effect was shouted.! My bear quickly ran for cover straight up the mountain. I immediately made my way back down to my truck. At my truck not more than 10 yards were two idiots, with their rifles out, glassing from which I just came. I quickly approached them and said " I was just on that bear". I followed up with "what were you going to do, shoot over me". Let,s say I was upset at being in rifle range of them.!!

Then they shrugged there shoulders and drove off. I watched them drive about 75 yards and the stop. They proceeded to glass and stalk the very bear I was just on.? I mean what were these guys thinking.? Is there no courtesy,not to mention safety in the field anymore. I drove on to another spot up the road.

When I was leaving the area, guess who I got to see on the side of the road.? Yep you gussed right, the poacher twins. I just happened to have a piece of paper and pen to write down the vehicle description and plate number. You know they say payback is a bi*$ch well, I had a good laugh at them. I am realley confused to this type of behavior from anyone out in the field carrying firarms. I am starting to wonder if there should be a national I.Q. test before you are allowed to own firearms. Anyhow sighning off and waiting to view your comments.

how did they go from spotting the bear from the road to "the poacher twins"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    how did they go from spotting the bear from the road to "the poacher twins"?
    Was wondering the same??
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

When one is Road Hunting the Kenai Peninsula, the term "My Bear (Moose/Hare/Grouse/etc.)" usually isn't applicable until the animal has been taken.

Sorry your stalk was blown, discourteous behavior on the part of the others to be sure, however make the leap to "Poacher" or calling them in to the Troopers is quite a leap.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

They had their guns out, pointing down range. Not as much concered at the stalk as much as having hi-power weapons pointing in my direction.!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJoe View Post
    They had their guns out, pointing down range. Not as much concered at the stalk as much as having hi-power weapons pointing in my direction.!
    Absolutely agree with you. I'd be concerned as well.

Totally understand the anger, just wondering where the "Poacher" status comes from..??
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJoe View Post
    Poacher twins??? maybe unsafe twins but not poacher twins.

Not saying what they did was right. However, how were they supposed to know you were stalking the bear?
    Tennessee

From the OP … seemed like the author was pursuing a bear … left the area when these guys spooked it … and these guys continued to pursue the bear. So if those that spooked the bear took the bear became poachers … was curious what the purpose of the authors attempt to stalk the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Not saying what they did was right. However, how were they supposed to know you were stalking the bear?
    Thats what I was thinking for all they knew you were in treeline shooting grouse or rabbits. Not defending what they did but were you wearing hunter orange so they could see you???

Well since there were only the two of us out on the road at that time, it seemed kind of odd that they would pull up and park next to my vehicle and start glassing. I would think, "hey there is probably a hunter on that animal.!! As far as them pulling down the road and startinf to glass/stalk, they did not seem to concerned about me going back into the bush.! I mean they could not see me.

Curious if you were wearing camo on your outing? I also fail to see what they did beyond be loud that would make you think they were poaching? Did you not spot the bear from the road? I think I am confused???

All I can say is don't go up to the Haul road its full of guys like that. They can see you get dropped off get set up and wait for the bou to commit to crossing the road. But here they come anyways driving liek a maniac and screw everything up. You stand up go hey A-hole I was right here you saw us settign up, all those turds do is shrug there shoulders and drive off to go screw up soemone elses hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    When one is Road Hunting the Kenai Peninsula, the term "My Bear (Moose/Hare/Grouse/etc.)" usually isn't applicable until the animal has been taken.
    yup, it is "bar rules" hunting at it's finest.

PS. Hippie we need to go shoot some birds and bunnies! Got one of each yesterday in a few hours of kicking around the sticks.

I guess if you don't like road hunters, don't hunt near roads? I understand your frustration, but it is what it is. You don't own that bear, not unless you kill it.

I'd say what they did showed a lack of courtesy, but unfortunately we all have to deal with that at some point or another. You can get upset about it and cry foul, or just chalk it up as a loss and move on. Just got to understand that if you plan to hunt or trap near roads, you'll probably have company, and sometimes things like this will happen.

Hello LuJon. No I wasn,t head to toe Camo. However I was not blazeorange man either. Yes I spotted the bear from the road. I guesss my point is, if you do not know where the other guy is is it worth shooting>! Then they call it an accident.!!

Jerod; I have lived here long enough to understand about road hunting. I am callin foul to the unsafe way these two handled themselves.

i think this is an example of why this state does not need to make any more roads. It'll keep this retardedness confined to one area and leave the rest of us in peace thank god i don't live on a road system. although i have seen some good boat races getting to some swimming caribou.

Huh or the state could make it like alot if other states illegal to shoot from the side of the road up to 500 feet sure the haul road archery hunters would be screwed lol. But it would eliminate such fiascos that occur on the Denali and other highways. Two words denali caribou

Default 10/30/11?

Man, you guys up north are way ahead of the game.
    Alpine is awesome...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast