Thread: Is this land buildable? How do I find out?

Default Is this land buildable? How do I find out?

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this or not.

Im looking to purchase a small piece of land and hopefully build on it in the next few years.

Its not an extremely 'remote' area but its outside of a very small town.

Ive never purchased land before and Im just curious to know how do I find out if this land is actually buildable? Or what type of professional could be hired to do this research for me? (since I know nothing).

I would eventually like to have a fully functioning home/cabin/house on the property with electricity, running water etc.

thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

One place to check would be with the Army Corp of Engineers. In some cases they will determine how much of the property is wetlands that cannot be built on. The survey may already exist, otherwise they might make you do one.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

It all depends where you are at. The Army Corp really doesn't do much around here. The best way is to visit the property and dig a hole. Can you give us a general idea of where the property is? Many of us can then give you geographic specific advise.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I saw your question and I was gonna say dig a hole but AKDoug beat me to it. Only thing I can add is dig a few holes and compare what you find. One part of your property may be more "buildable" than another.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

You will get good information from an experienced Local R.E. Broker. Some of Hope, Alaska is not build able.

Thanks for the info guys.

As much as I would like to go and dig a couple of holes Im currently in Anchorage and the land is in POW island.

I did speak with someone at the Army Corp of Eng. in Juneau and he said that once I get him the exact lot number he'll be able to give me at least some information.

He also said that any good general contractor could tell me if its build-able and most of them have built on all types of terrain in that area.

Almost anything is buildable - it's just a matter of how much it is going to cost. Regardless of what anyone tells you, I wouldn't buy the property without standing on it and looking at it first. If you can't afford the time or money to visit before you buy, you aren't going to find it much easier after. If you like the area, look for a few potential lots and make a trip to go visit them.

Where on P.O.W.? I'll be down there in about three weeks. No problem looking at it, giving you my opinion and taking pics if you'd like. PM me with lot number and location and I'd be glad to do it if it's not too far from where I'm going to be.

Thanks for the offer AKdoug. Thats really kind of you but it wont be necessary.

I have already seen the property but just didnt know if I could build on it.
    For a novice like myself, staring at trees, soil, rocks and grass doesnt tell me much. Even if I dug a few holes it still doesnt tell me much.
    Right now it seems like the property can be built on so I need to get quotes on cost.

thanks again for all your suggestions.

If it has big trees, it's 99% sure it's buildable.

access will determine you cost to build just as much as the ground conditions.

What about the rain, economy and transportation? I have a buddy in Thorne Bay and it is a whole new way of life.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Waiting on a call back from a contractor in the area.

Supposedly he has developed several lots around there.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It all depends where you are at. The Army Corp really doesn't do much around here. The best way is to visit the property and dig a hole. Can you give us a general idea of where the property is? Many of us can then give you geographic specific advise.
    I was going to suggest this but it isn't really may "area" so held off. Glad to see my thought process was not out in left field. We did a LOT of digging to get down to any gravel at all for my shop $$$$$....

LuJon- I have to remove 600 yards of material and fill it with 600 yards of gravel for my shop. I feel your pain $$$ Luckily, my parents are building right around the corner and have to remove 500 yards for their basement, so the trucking run will be short.

You sir have a lot more pain than me! We had to bring in about 150 yds and pull out about 250. The positive was that my yard is in an old glacial area (think Kepler Bradly lakes type terrain) and I have a steep ditch running down the middle of the rear of the lot. It started about 50' off the back of the house before we dove into this project, now it starts about 150' off the back of the house! <grin> Funny that we added 1350 sf of structure and still ended up with more usable land than we started with!

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Ive never purchased land before and Im just curious to know how do I find out if this land is actually buildable? Or what type of professional could be hired to do this research for me? (since I know nothing).

I would eventually like to have a fully functioning home/cabin/house on the property with electricity, running water etc.

thanks
    Are you planning on doing the work? Or having others (contractor) do the work for you?

For functionality ... what utilities are available. On the Ketchikan side, many people use water that is collected from the roofs. For power, were you planning on a generator? For waste ... perhaps a leach field.

Depending on location, you could have shallow bedrock (Trees commonly grow on rocks in the SE alaska) or peaty bog of large depth.
    1) What is the topography like? Is the lot at the bottom of a potential slide area?
    2) How big is the lot? If retaining walls are needed to create flat buildable space, will all of the improvements fit within your lot lines?

Default back fill

Most of the places in the bush on POW are built on backfilled pads, from wood waste and gravel, sometimes large bolders first are put over the muskeg like bogs. lots of standing water on the island. not many wells for water, it is real tanic, rotting vegetation does not taste go good. Metal roofs, with gutters to storage barrels for most water. A lot of outhouses, and most all the electricity on the island is by generators, except for the hydro plant on Bear creek that feeds Klawack and surrounding area. All the villages have generators that provide some power to a very limited area. Propane is used for cooking, and refrigeration. Lots of planning to have a nice place to call home. Good Luck