Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $225 an hour to get towed in PWS

Default $225 an hour to get towed in PWS

Had to get towed from the southside of cul rose last week trip took about 5 1/2 hours total over a grand BUT....we are back and with the weather they had we are glad we made the choice to spend the money...There is a guy in whittier that tows. Thankfully we got his number.

Care to post his name and number? Will your insurance cover it?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Had to get towed from the southside of cul rose last week trip took about 5 1/2 hours total over a grand BUT....we are back and with the weather they had we are glad we made the choice to spend the money...There is a guy in whittier that tows. Thankfully we got his number.
    Let's see, the boat I towed in from south end of Montague early May of last year was ten hours back to Seward so would have been a $2250 bill not counting time for the trip out (we only go to fish for 15 minutes). I got $100 for my troubles so he got a huge discount for my good samaritan tow. At least now I know how much good Karma I've got banked!

Karma charges by the job, not by the hour, don't you know!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Karma charges by the job, not by the hour, don't you know!!!
    Now that's funny!! Soooooo true, but funny none-the-less!!!

Don't know about akdube insurance, but I have Allstate and for $15 a year, I get $600 emergency service, covers towing, bringing me gas, delivering parts, maybe outta-beer if we bill it right Pretty good deal, I have tried to up the amount but it is fixed....something to think about and ask your insurance company about

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Care to post his name and number? Will your insurance cover it?
    Yes number please ,That would be a fine thing to keep in the boat
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I know Homer used to have Sea Tow until he folded. Sounds like a business opportunity

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Anyone have BoatUS towing insurance? It's widespread in the lower 48 and is supposed to apply here I'm AK. I have never had to use it and don't know of anyone who has. You get emergency road service with it.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

my neighbor has used it in whittier, seward, and homer. I'm thinking each tow cost him a $65 deductable, not to bad when you need towed back from East chugach island

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    my neighbor has used it in whittier, seward, and homer. I'm thinking each tow cost him a $65 deductable, not to bad when you need towed back from East chugach island
    I think your neighbor needs to invest in a more reliable boat.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

If you have a coast guard license and tow a boat, you better have a towing endorsement or you open yourself up to liabilities, plus you can charge for the tow. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to charge w/o the endorsement. I've towed recreation boats back to town but I never charged them, I figure it's a mariners obligation. Who knows I may need assistance some day. I don't mince words if some yahoo is out where they shouldn't be in questionable equipment though. Oh yeah if I have to tow you out of my gillnet you better have your checkbook handy, that's all

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Oh yeah if I have to tow you out of my gillnet you better have your checkbook handy, that's all[/QUOTE]

Don't you know its your fault for leaving that trash floating around out there!
    I've only towed in one guy that was broke down and blowing out of passage canal, towed him to the fuel dock he says thanks a lot and hands me a folded up bill, i shove it in my pocket say thanks and leave for a opening, i look later and it was a nice hundred dollar bill, never thought it would have been that!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Cool Ship of fools...

I towed a guy and his four friends to the boat ramp, not just the fuel dock, in Whittier one day. He had a brand new boat loaded with stuff he didn't know how to use, including the radio! He was drifting around in the fog waving for over an hour for anyone who would stop, he told my crew he didn't know how to work the radio or his new shrimp gear. He sucked his leaded shrimp line deep into his inboard jet unit. No kicker, no knowledge of flare use, no idea how to work his radio, the list goes on and on how lacking in knowledge of anything on any level. He was so embarrassed or just a total idiot that he never said a word to me, just a quick toss of the lines back to my crew, thanks and he was gone to his truck!

One of my crew said he recognized him from his job, the guy was a big-wig loaded with more money than brains, just bought the boat and gear to go play sailor.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I've towed recreation boats back to town but I never charged them, I figure it's a mariners obligation. Who knows I may need assistance some day. I don't mince words if some yahoo is out where they shouldn't be in questionable equipment though.
    Yep, no big deal to help somebody out in trouble. I helped somebody once and the following year got water in my gas a mile out of Whittier. Glad a good samaritan pulled me back and now have a seperate tank for my kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Anyone have BoatUS towing insurance? It's widespread in the lower 48 and is supposed to apply here I'm AK. I have never had to use it and don't know of anyone who has. You get emergency road service with it.
    Called them the other day,They said they do cover alaska,They do not have a BoatUS in alaska but they contract out to a private company

Roger I used to have BoatUS and when I moved to Alaska a few years back I was told that they did not have any coverage in Alaska. I will have to check with them again. I used their road tow for when my boat trailer had a major failure and it was very good. Never had to use the water tow, so no experience there.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I just got to thinking about this tow coverage, so call my State Farm agent that I have both of my boats insured with. They advised that tow coverage is added into my policy and they pay up to $500 per tow. They said it makes no difference who tows me, all I have to do is send them a paid receipt and they will reimburse me up to the $500 amount. Glad you guys started talking about this as I did not know I had this coverage. Everyone should check with their insurance company.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    . I will have to check with them again. I used their road tow for when my boat trailer had a major failure and it was very good. Never had to use the water tow, so no experience there.
    I talked to

Chip Fardwell
    Manager Towing Customer Relations
    1-800-888-4869 ext. 3636

Thanks Roger, I will have to give them a call. As I said their road tow coverage for boats was very good. Curious to see what they say about picking up what would not be paid from my main boat insurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast