Thread: shoulders get sore with thermarest sleeping pads, any thicker/wider ones out there?

Default shoulders get sore with thermarest sleeping pads, any thicker/wider ones out there?

Just seeing what type of sleeping pads are out there. I was hoping to eventually find one that is pleated so that the "air bubble" is more distributed like the newer thermarests. My shoulders are wide and after a full night sleeping on either side, I wake up to very sore shoulders. If I lay flat on my back or on my stomach, my shoulders hang over the edge on both sides of a thermarest which doesn't feel comfortable either. If I sleep on my side, all the weight of my torso seems to go towards the ball of my shoulders, pushing through the sleeping pad, and resting on the ground. I would like to find a new sleeping pad, but don't want to add too much extra bulk. If I have to hike light, I don't mind the thermarest but most of my trips are by freighter canoe and snowmachine. In the spring/summer/fall, all the sleeping bags and sleeping pads go in a sealine boundary pack that's a very large 115liter dry bag, so a little extra bulk won't hurt.

Big Agnes insulated aircore. I'm a side sleeper and love these pads, make sure to get the insulated one.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

thanks, I'll check those out. hoping to bring a realm of comfort to the outdoor world. This past year I spent 22 days in the winter, 60 days in the summer, and 8 days in the fall on a sleeping pad, after the first week, yah just get used to waking up sore, but I'd like to at least make it more comfy.

Just checked em out, hot ****! I gotta have me one!

I have come to the point that I have to get a good nights sleep or I simply can not have a good time if I don't. I started using a Luxury Lite cot whenever possible, this really helps with those pesky rocks and roots. This cot and my BA pad equals a bed as good as home.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Luxur...h-All+Products

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have come to the point that I have to get a good nights sleep or I simply can not have a good time if I don't. I started using a Luxury Lite cot whenever possible, this really helps with those pesky rocks and roots. This cot and my BA pad equals a bed as good as home.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Luxur...h-All+Products

Steve
    Steve,

What's that on the floor of your Tipi, and what gives with the stove? Is it propane?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Steve,

What's that on the floor of your Tipi, and what gives with the stove? Is it propane?

-Mike

Mr Mike,,

That is a piece of indoor astroturf, makes a great floor for the Sawtooth Tipi.

The stove is a Nuway propane heater. It is a vented propane heater, I use it in both the Sawtooth and my AO 10. It is very light weight and I can run it all night for 5 or 6 days on a 5 gal propane tank. Alaska tent and tarp is selling them now.

Steve
    Founding Member

I will stick with the NEO Air for the pack in hunts but I am thinking about going to the lux-lite setup for base camp and wheeler/boat/raft based hunts. Steep price though! For people under 250lbs the Alps mountaineering cot is pretty slick at under 12lbs and the price is hard to beat!

(click picture for link to store)

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I will stick with the NEO Air for the pack in hunts but I am thinking about going to the lux-lite setup for base camp and wheeler/boat/raft based hunts. Steep price though! For people under 250lbs the Alps mountaineering cot is pretty slick at under 12lbs and the price is hard to beat!

(click picture for link to store)
    For heavy camping trips I use the roll a cot and roll a table. The cot weighs 10 lbs and sets up fast and easy. Great gear when weight is not an issue. They also work great for loading meat on my raft, place them across the tubes and load the meat. The netting in the cot is coated and does not hold water.

http://www.campmor.com/camp-time-rol...ci_sku=41195WC

Roll a cot is on the right side.

Roll a table

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Mr Mike,,

That is a piece of indoor astroturf, makes a great floor for the Sawtooth Tipi.

The stove is a Nuway propane heater. It is a vented propane heater, I use it in both the Sawtooth and my AO 10. It is very light weight and I can run it all night for 5 or 6 days on a 5 gal propane tank. Alaska tent and tarp is selling them now.

Steve
    I am a "buy local" guy but the same stove is available direct from Nu-Way for under $200 ($134/stove, $54 pipe kit= $188) and they also have a smaller 12K BTU stove for $10 cheaper that will probably keep any 10x10 AO tent or tipi just as warm and perhaps use less propane. I doubt shipping would bring it up anywhere near the $325 mark. Probably save $100+ on it that way and that's a lot of copperhead fuel!

10 lbs, yes. But having spent years sleepin' on one of these, I have to say they are amazing.

LINK
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Lujon,,

Nuway makes a single and double burner model. I have the single burner and it is plenty for my AO10.

Steve
    Founding Member

I've never used sleeping pads until up here. The Neoair all season long is 25" wide, and it doesn't squish to where your shoulder is on the ground when on your side.

I went with an Exped Synmat 9. It's an inch thicker than the Big Agnes pads and quite nice for a side sleeper. Mine's 25" wide and I like it that way. It also has a built in pump that took me a while to get the hang of, but now I like it a lot. I can sit in a camp chair and pump it up in a few minutes without really trying. A thinner air pad would be even faster, but I prefer the comfort.

I have a friend with a NeoAir pad and his biggest complaint was getting the 20" wide version instead of the 25" wide model. The Exped 9 has a little more insulation than the BA pads and quite a bit more than the NeoAir, but any of them might be enough for you, depending on when/where you're going. My friend found the NeoAir to be acceptable with temps in the low 20's, but I believe I would prefer a bigger R rating.

If you have wide shoulders 25 inches might not be enough. I bought a Neo Air last year and since I am a back sleeper it was a no go. As I relax both arms end up hanging off the sides. It is 25"s wide but the last 1.5-2"s on each side are sloped to the exterior. So it's effective flat area is around 21-22"s. I gave it to my daughter and she loves it. If you are looking for extra width and comfort a possibility is the thema rest DreamTime /basecamp line the XL models are 30 inches and 3.5 inches thick. Not for light weight low bulk packing, but comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I went with an Exped Synmat 9. It's an inch thicker than the Big Agnes pads and quite nice for a side sleeper. Mine's 25" wide and I like it that way. It also has a built in pump that took me a while to get the hang of, but now I like it a lot. I can sit in a camp chair and pump it up in a few minutes without really trying. A thinner air pad would be even faster, but I prefer the comfort.

I have a friend with a NeoAir pad and his biggest complaint was getting the 20" wide version instead of the 25" wide model. The Exped 9 has a little more insulation than the BA pads and quite a bit more than the NeoAir, but any of them might be enough for you, depending on when/where you're going. My friend found the NeoAir to be acceptable with temps in the low 20's, but I believe I would prefer a bigger R rating.
    I have the same pad and share the same assessment as Jim. I went from an older 1" thick Thermarest to a Exped Synmat 9 and it was a huge set up. I'm not a wide framed guy but on my old 20" wide Thermarest my arms hung off the sides, that bothered me. On a 25" wide pad my arms stay on the pad. To me the biggest downfall is Exped's price tag, about 2x what a Big Agnes Insulated Aircore pad will run you. I probably wouldn't haul one around on a sheep hunt but when weight transport isn't an issue the Expeds are nice.

I bought the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and just put it right inside my sleeping bag. It is amazing how comfortable it is. And I am a side sleeper and not a small guy, so my hip always hurt on pads. No problems at all on the Big Agnes. Under $100 too.

Really like them all. I have a little bit of time to decide as October and November are my down-time months. I did check out the DreamTime 30 in. sleeping pad and I'm very impressed with that model. Memory foam and an inflatable mattress pad combined. It was 30 in. wide and weighed 7 lbs. I think it was 3.5" thick. probably everything I'll ever need for comfort. Does anybody use this model?
    http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...amtime/product

mainer
    you might try kooka bay for a custom pad. he will make it any width you like..
    goose down for insulation...i got a quote of 250.00 for one at 30x78x3.5
    2.4 lbs on the weight

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post

I also have the Exped mat and really like it. The hand pump takes awhile to get aired up. But, I figured out on my last trip that if you just blow into the hole that you cover with your hand, the mat will blow up pretty darn quickly. I think mine is a "deluxe" version (can't remember for sure if that's what it's called) so it is a little longer and wider. Pretty comfy though, although those cots looks slick.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.