Thread: Self taught looking for more advise/books

Question Self taught looking for more advise/books

I have been fly fishing for two years now and just taught myself. Don't have real any clue how to tie fly fishing knots, how to set up my rod, which flies to use (dry,wet), all that stuff.... any good videos or books anyone recommends that I can use and/or any personal advise... I know it's a broad range here I'm talking about but anything will help me to become a better fisherman. Thanks
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Bring your rod and reel to 3 Rivers, ask them to help you set it up and how to fish what flies. Buy some flies, tippet and other stuff you need. These guys are willing to help and supporting them will insure they will help you out at the next stage of your fly fishing needs. The will be having classes on fly tying and rod building starting in Nov.

I will be back in the valley by the 6th of Oct and would love to meet you there during the day if you have that time available. PM me or email me from my link at the bottom of this post. Good luck.

Honestly, what will help the most is to just get out there and fish. You will learn your own style of fly fishing and determine what is most comfortable for you and what flies you like to use best, ect. You can watch videos but it really doesnt help much until you try it out in the field. Good luck!

Post some questions here (like the one you did) and learn from the experienced guys here. Upon getting some basic info and suggestion, google the crap out of it. Tons of info online, youtube videos, knot animations, etc... As for books, especially for fly fishing Alaska, get these two.

"Topwater, Fly Fishing Alaska..." by Tony Weaver and Troy Letherman

"Fly Fisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen

Both can be bought on the forum store if I recall, certainly on Amazon and in bigger book stores as well.

For fly casting, the only DVD I ever saw that I would recommend comes from the legend himself. Lefty Kreh's "Fly Casting" (or similar) is like $25 on Cabelas. Great info laid out in an easy to understand way.

-Dan

Just fish dude, if it works it works...

Lefty's video is pretty good...

Knots you need to know: Double Surgeon, Surgeon Loop, Cinch, Albright. Use google...

The setup goes backing, flyline (use and albright knot) flyline to leader (loop to surgeons loop or albright) leader to tippet (double surgeon) tippet to fly (cinch)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've never figured any of that stuff out from the internet or videos; which I bet you tried already and ended up with snarls out the ying yang.

Knots are something that's best learned one-on-one from someone who really knows how to do it. None of it is that difficult, but there are more ways to do it wrong than a barrel of powder monkeys, and more than one knot for each of the setup connections the monkey lists, and even more than one way to make one particular knot, or set up a rod. And it can take practice.

Go take a class, then practice, practice, practice.

I'd second George's advice. 3 Rivers is a great little shop, and right now is pretty slow. The guys there live to fish, and don't talk down to any fisherman. An hour's time will have you tying the basic knots that you need, give you a good understanding of flies for different times of year, where to fish now until freeze up, and anything else you'll want to know. Buying stuff is appreciated, but optional! The advice is always free.

Trial and error is a fine way to learn, but you can really straighten out the learning curve with some good advice. And if you teach yourself bad habits in fly casting early on, it can take a lifetime to unlearn them.

All the advice that was sent-in is good. Since I've been fly fishing for 30+ years the first and foremost advice I'd recommend is "Take Casting Lessons". I know there's quite a few excellent casters out there but one I would recommend is Mark Huber, if he's still giving lessons. Its worth the money to learn all about rods, lines, casting mechanics, and have an on-the-spot pro critique you. After you take casting lessons and talk to the guru's at the various fly fishing shops the books and videos are alot easier to understand. Good luck and and take your time learning.

If the guys will take you out on the lawn/parking lot with your own rod, nothing beats having someone who knows their stuff help you with your casting. Lots of casting styles around, but for my tastes Lefty Kreh is probably the most relevent for much of Alaska fishing. Whether videos are a good way to learn or not, looking at any of his will at least tune you into the little details that can make a big difference in your casting.

As for knots/flies/strategies, one-on-one is hard to beat too, especially if the strategy sessions happen on the water.

Awesome advice guys! I'll take them all at heart and begin mastering fly fishing, ain't nothing better!
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK