Thread: Alpine's first successful trip

Default Alpine's first successful trip

I made it out today and bagged my first ruffie of the season and first ever over the dog. The pup was super excited and naturally worked the cover but had no idea what he was looking for. He flushed my bird accidentally and didn't see it come up. I folded it up quickly and he was really excited/timid over the flopping beast.

Later we took him to some thick alders to see what he thought of rabbits. He flushed one and chased it at Mach 3 till it crossed into my cousins shooting lane. My cousin rolled it up and we had one HAPPY dog! I know some purists will frown over a bird dog hunting hare but my goal is to have an all purpose small game dog and I think the English Springer will prove to be a fine choice.

Both hare and grouse are in the freezer whole now so I can use them as training aids. Wish I would have picked up a spruce grouse as I hate to waste a ruffy to training! Hopefully some fun retrieving practice with them this week and he will be a little more clued in on what we are out there looking for.

Alpine with his first grouse. Hopefully many many more to come!
    Last edited by LuJon; 10-03-2011 at 20:03.

Way cool Jon,, nothing like it when yer dog starts to figure it out.
    Good luck rest the of the season.

Very nice! He sure looks proud

Very nice...only thing I can say is if you are going to hunt grouse and birds, it will be tough for him to do it good if you are also chasing rabbits...

Quote Originally Posted by TobinZeke View Post
    Very nice...only thing I can say is if you are going to hunt grouse and birds, it will be tough for him to do it good if you are also chasing rabbits...
    Never hurt my hound any, huntin dogs love to hunt, with some experiance Alpine will figure it out and will hunt fur or feathers and more than likely do well with both.

I got 8 Chukar and 5 Huns the day i took this pic of my hound locked up on this Rabbit.
    Although I never hunt Rabbits and I don't encourage my dog to, I don't discourage her not to, she was born to hunt and she does it well no matter what the game.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking hound there slimm!!

With the springer being a flushing breed and Rabbits and Grouse both on the menu in the same area and holding to the same cover then I don't really see it being a problem. Where I hunt Spruce Grouse there isn't much in the way of hare but where I get after Ruffies the Hare are in the exact same area. The dog pretty much scours everything for 50' either side of me as I work cover and jumps or chases any snowshoes or grouse in that area. Now that I have a dead grouse and hare in the freezer to work with and a sack of cut hotdogs for treats we are working daily on retrieving both and getting him super excited about it. He seems firmly convinced that the grouse is the single greatest toy god put on this earth!