Thread: Upper Kenai - No fish but did run into a Blizzard!

Default Upper Kenai - No fish but did run into a Blizzard!

Okay, you may have heard of a world class fishery we have for wild rainbows and char. It's got it's share of salmon as well. It's called the Upper Kenai River. lol...Many of you know that I grew up in Alaska, moving to Kenai in 1971. I have fished HARD every chance I get since then.

YET for the first time EVER I fished it today!!!!!!! Being clueless, I didn't touch a fish though I saw plenty right in front of me. Until recently, I have been a meat fisherman and I did ALL my Kenai River fishing from Pillars down to Cunningham Park. I know every twist and turn of the lower river. If I am going to eat a fish, it's going to be a salmon as close to the ocean as possible. Trout? Isn't that just a teeny salmon? (Ok, so I was wrong...I admit it.)

If you don't count the Russian River, the Moose River and the late winter fishery by the bridge at Cooper Landing, I had NEVER fished above Swiftwater Park in Soldotna nor had I been on a boat of any kind above the bridge in Soldotna. Today, I fished a stretch of River that I had never fished yet driven past a thousand times...literally!!!!

I used my mini-x and what a sweet platform for drifting down the river. At first the current freaked me out a bit. trying to hit a spot on shore was fruitless as i ended 25 yards downstream all the time. Pretty much stayed in the middle away from any danger until I spied a gravel bar I wanted to fish.

I saw fish rolling in front of me. both silvers and nice rainbows but I couldn't get them to hit anything...beads, flesh flies, leeches, nymphs... I have no idea what i was doing wrong. I did hear a few folks say it was slow. I saw a few folks with fish on though so someone was catching fish! Well I am sure it's going to take time to figure it out but you can bet I am going to hit this section hard until I figure it out!

The trip was much shorter than expected. Instead of being done at 5pm. I was done at 3pm. But good thing. On the drive back I ran into my first snow of the year...and my first blizzard.

Video is terrible because I didn't clean my lens but I needed something to commemorate my first trip ever on the Upper Kenai and the season's first snow fall.

Slightly North of the Seward/Kenai Junction.

Nice report Kardinal, there is a learning curve on the Upper but once you dial it in the results are worth the effort!

I'll be floating and camping from Kenai Lake down to Skilak next Sun/Mon if you're interested in tagging along you're more than welcome to.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Looks like I might need to break out the studded tires!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Nice post rudy.It's about time you made that float....
    I'm surprised you didn't take the Outback...what's up with that.
    I agree with Hippie..keep trying and you'll get it right sooner or later.......
    I'm home from the slope tommorrow..hope,no,will be out on the Willapa soon.And a few other places as well.Keep an eye out @ NWKA.

Hippie. Thanks for the offer! For the next month or two, I plan on prioritizing the saltwater kings and hit the Kenai when the weather doesn't allow...which should be most weekends. I will certainly PM ya if I know with relative certainty I will be on the Kenai. Thanks again. I fear this learning curve is going to be VERY steep. Trout, flyfishing, Upper Kenai...all things I know very little about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Nice post rudy.It's about time you made that float....
    I'm surprised you didn't take the Outback...what's up with that.
    I agree with Hippie..keep trying and you'll get it right sooner or later.......
    I'm home from the slope tommorrow..hope,no,will be out on the Willapa soon.And a few other places as well.Keep an eye out @ NWKA.
    I don't think the Upper is a good place for the Hobie. I was scraping bottom more than I would have liked. Once I know the river, I might. The next "new" spot is the middle river!!!

The snow was fun towing my boat back...glad you got to see some new places.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff