Thread: Good .22 for smaller hands.

Default Good .22 for smaller hands.

Was thinking about picking up a 22 for my wife, maybe for Christmas or something. First one that came to mind was a P22, just wondering if there are alternatives. She held a Mosquito once and I think she liked it, but I have read lots of bad things about them. It would mostly be for plinking, or the off chance a ptarmigan shows up when we are out and about. Thanks for any ideas.
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

I have a S&W 63 with 4" that I really like. Small, light, shoots great.

She doesn't seem like revolvers as much. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've got small hands and I don't think I've ever held/shot a .22 that even remotely felt large in my hands like any large frame revolver or double stack auto...

Has she held any or are you just asking? The ruger mark series would likely be just fine

She can shoot most handguns fine. She has shot several different 22 models including my Buckmark, and a couple of different Rugers. She has handled different models as well. The P22 fit her the best, I was mostly wondering if there was something of similar size.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskadrifter View Post
    Was thinking about picking up a 22 for my wife, maybe for Christmas or something. First one that came to mind was a P22, just wondering if there are alternatives. She held a Mosquito once and I think she liked it, but I have read lots of bad things about them. It would mostly be for plinking, or the off chance a ptarmigan shows up when we are out and about. Thanks for any ideas.
    I saw a Mosquito a few days ago. I liked it but don't have any first hand experience with it. I have a little Cascade suppressor that will screw right on. Looks like a blast. Almost bought it but walked away.

What are the bad things that you have read? Have you ever handled or shot one?

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...ed-barrel.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by alaskadrifter View Post
    She can shoot most handguns fine. She has shot several different 22 models including my Buckmark, and a couple of different Rugers. She has handled different models as well. The P22 fit her the best, I was mostly wondering if there was something of similar size.
    Then why not get her a P22? I own one and absolutely love it. Like any auto, little trail and error to find the ammo it liked the best but once I did it feeds perfectly and is pretty accurate even with the short barrel.
    Tennessee

I agree. That little P22 is plenty accurate enough for your needs when you do your part. It's pretty sensitive to side pressure on the trigger, and you'll see the results right away when groups spread side to side. Concentrate on a consistent grip and pulling straight back on the trigger, and it will be hard on ptarmigan at surprising ranges.

P22 is definitely on the list. Read that the Mosquito is not that reliable, but I only take what I read on the internet with a grain of salt. So it's not completely ruled out. Just trying to do some market research.

I have a P-22 and its pretty sweet, plus you can get a 45 round mag for them! http://www.spentbrass.com/pistol/wal...azine-drum.php

My wife has also been eying the P22. All the reviews I have read on it go both ways. Some like it, some do not. I know it more than likely will be finicky with certain types of ammo. I love to shoot bulk ammo.

It's hard getting past the Ruger MkIIIs. I really want those guns but my wife likes the looks of the Walther better!

I did note that she may not care for a revolver, but wondered if one the Rugers she has tried was a Bearcat?

They were either Mark II or III and 22/45s I think. I'll probably end up going with the P22 as it seems like its the right price, and good size.

If you can find one try a High Standard Sport King but, be warned only shoot standard velocity ammo in these.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ph21 View Post
    My wife has also been eying the P22. All the reviews I have read on it go both ways. Some like it, some do not. I know it more than likely will be finicky with certain types of ammo. I love to shoot bulk ammo.

It's hard getting past the Ruger MkIIIs. I really want those guns but my wife likes the looks of the Walther better!
    Always check the dates on the reviews. The first P22s came out with crappy mags and were VERY picky. The mags have gone through 2 updates and a new model with new mags will be as reliable a 22 as you can get. I have a couple of issues with the P22; it has a slide mounted safety which is upside down (up for fire) which makes it a poor training aid, accuracy is good but not great, you can't mount a scope or dot on it. It's a fun gun, but little more,

Another option is the Berretta NEOS. Not as popular, but you will try hard to find a bad review on one. You will have to try even harder to find a used one for sale. They are great guns, will eat anything you feed em, grips are thin, come with iron sights and a rail for a dot. Look around and you can find a new one for less than $250. You wife may like the looks of the NEOS - kinda spacegun like.

I think she should take another look at a 4" J Frame S&W. I have used one since the early 80's. No magazine to loose in the snow or replace, never had one that jammed or malfunctioned unless they had been shot so much a cleaning of the chambers and under the extractor star was in order. They shoot all the .22 shorts, longs and long rifle ammo so you just have to find the most accurate load for the gun. I know they may not shoot as small a group as some autos do, if that's what your after then a target pistol is in order. For me a .22 revolver has proven to be more "reliable" then a semi-auto .22.

M&P22 has a nice feel. But doesn't have the interchangeable backstraps that the other M&Ps do.

Didn't know there was a M&P-22 pistol. I also never really thought about the NEOS. I handled one when I was looking into getting my first pistol, but settled on the Buckmark Camper. Seems like the NEOS was supposed to be really accurate, but she wont be doing competitive shooting, so decent accuracy is acceptable.

I have relatively small hands. I used to have a Buckmark, and currently have a S&W M41. Both fit me very well. The M41 is an excellent pistol if you can find a good deal on one.

I love the walther P22, great gun. My brother just picked one of these up http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...live-drab.aspx and loves it. After shooting it myself I'm considering one for myself because I'm an avid 1911 fan and makes for better practice at the range.