Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing the valley

Default Ice fishing the valley

Hi guys,
    I'm new to AK this year from Michigan. I LOVE TO ICE FISH AND CANT WAIT FOR THE HARDWATER!!!! I've fished quite a bit of big water back home, mostly for walleye, pike and perch. (simcoe, earie, mitchells bay etc). I did bring my vex, lures and rods and a few tip ups, not much else.

I need to re-buy the items I sold back home and would appreciate some advice, I've searched the forum without success.

-Would you buy an Igloo (the one in the red bag) that appears to be similar to a auto expanding hunting blind and a seperate sled or a self contained unit like a fish hut that folds out of the sled? How do you anchor the igloo? I've used a rope and t-bar down a seperate hole to anchor a fish hut but the igloo is like a tent right?

-Had a strikemaster lazor drill, only issue I had was the throttle linkage, is there a more popular model for AK? I have looked at the propane model, have some concerns about the regulator freezing, but would be nice not to mess with gas.

-Are there any ice fishing festivals in the valley area?

-For fishing the lakes in the valley should I get a snowmachine or 4 wheeler?

Hope to meet some of you on the water,
    Ron

Im partial to Eskimo brand products... Never had a problem with them and even in the worst conditions they've never let me down.. I use a Eskimo quickfish 6 pop up shelter ( the 3 man is greAt too just depends on your needs) and it comes with about 8 ice anchors Which I have personally used in 70mph winds on Long lake in sutton successfully...they are easy to set up even by yourself...for an Auger I have owned a Eskimo mako 4.3 10" for the last 4 seasons and it's never let me down...

Release Lake Trout

Snow machine for sure. Ice season is long up here 6 months long.

Defiantly the snowmachine if bought primarily for the hard water fishing.
    I use ice locks for anchoring my shanty. These are the type you push down into a partially drilled hole and pull up to lock them in. Screw in types work good at first ice before the ice is thick enough for the other type.
    I have both styles of ice shanties. Each has its + and its -.
    I do like my sled based Eskimo grand caravan. It holds all my gear but it is a lot heavier to load/unload from the truck. And you have to have a truck bed big enough to haul it. The lighter otter type sleds can be flipped upside down or whatever to haul it around. Just be sure to use a solid hitch not rope.
    All your gear needs to fit into whatever sled you use. So choose accordingly. Some sleds are a little short for your power auger without breaking it down witch is a pain.
    I also like a sled cover like my caravan has.
    Snowmachines like to kick up a lot of snow at times and your gear gets covered.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

thats the kind of info I'm looking for, any input is appreciated, I'm looking for a sled now, there is an argo on craigslist, any thoughts on argo's?
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2629575639.html
    I've learned to have a solid hitch! axle wraps aren't fun.

I'm typically a weekend warrior ice fisherman, I use my 4-wheeler a lot in the winter. So long as the trail is packed you can use them too. Snow on the lakes is no problem, I don't get stuck but breaking off trails is another story. Snowmachine is always better but there isn't enough snow for me to find it in me to buy one. I use my Primo's hunting blind, two hunting folding chairs, a Mr. Heater, and Pepperming Schnapps w/ a couple cigars. I fish comfortably in my t-shirt with plenty of room in my blind and on my wheeler for an ice auger and rifle. I pack light but feel comfortable staying the night in my blind if I got weathered in.
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
    thats the kind of info I'm looking for, any input is appreciated, I'm looking for a sled now, there is an argo on craigslist, any thoughts on argo's?
    Argo would work just fine... Tracks would be way helpful...Make sure its gonna start in cold weather. Maybe a dual battery system would be safe and easy to install.

Hey and Welcome,

If it were me and money was not an issue...

1. Quick Fish 3 or 6 (a 3 is great for 2 people and a 6 is great for 4 or 5 people) I find it tight fishing 3 people in a QF3 with gear and 2 holes each

I would say 80 percent of the time we dont tie down because we do like to remain mobile. windy days force the tie down. the units come with ice screws and line that works fine for me.

2. Auger Requirements: 10inch / power-2 stroke fuel / double blades. Lots of opinions I am sure, its like a car...which one is better? well depends on who you ask. How much you want to spend after all I would want something that cuts quick and has a good warranty. They all do the same thing "putting holes in the ice, dont forget an extension!!! Ice will get thick here and depending where you are at you dont want to get caught not being able to reach the bottom. I had a strike master 3000 chipper blade model for years, worked great (nick name was ole trusty).

3. There are a couple of Derbies and "The Master Angler" hosts a great kids only event every year also.

4. Snow machine (like they said 6 months) You really need one of each, just like a river boat and a ocean boat..LOL (you can also try and make lots of friends on the forum and just borrow their stuff)

Happy fishing, dont forget your camera!!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I think that an Argo would be fine most of the time. I will say that someone tore the hell out of the "freshly groomed" trails last winter with some sort of Rhino, UTV or Argo.... if you do please look to see if you are destroying the trails. It hurts to hit those ruts!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Thanks again guys! I am not familiar with the quick fish but will google it. I tend to not set a shelter unless I need to, I enjoy the weather till its 0 and blowing. Usually its the blown over hole I'm fishing that gets the top down before the weather drives me in, but I havent fished AK winters either, usually the fishing is pretty slow below zero where I've fished before. I am very interested in Lk louise trout and might go up this weekend to see what the story is before the ice and get my bearings. Rent a boat, not catch any fish (per my usual form!), see where the rivers come in, drink some pops, mark a map for drop offs, etc. I am also in the "paralysis by analysis" mode and want to get the (perfect for me) sled. I like the idea of a workhorse like a bearcat but get distracted by the "why the heck would you buy a heavy 500cc sled that sucks to get out of the bank when you could have a 800cc long track mountain sled that would pull whatever you would need" argument from the couple of people I actually know in AK. Sold everything, want to make sure I'm not craigslisting my 8k sled next year

If your gonna fish louise you will only see above zero temps the end of march and april during the day. Trust me on this get a shelter and a big buddy heater. I have some experiance with louise as does akhardwater and that dirt guy. Sled wise either will work but the utility sleds will be better for fishing...Again a summit was ok for ice fishing a Bearcat is way better.

Don't forget a rodent hat and 80 proof coffee if you want to fish with those guys ^.

I highly suggest some type of shelter. I have been fishing at -10 and before I could get back to the cabin it was -25 and dropping fast. Depending on light conditions, your position on the lake and ice fog.... you could get in trouble fast. A shelter can also be used as a garage to warm up a snowmachine in a pinch.

We ride 550F Tundras, buddies ride an 800 Summit and a 570 Bearcat. I like the Tundras over anything else on the market. The factory windshield can be a pain below -20. Pull start is mandatory. Late season air cooled seems to be better for cooling. Touring machines like the bearcat are great for staying on the ice, but lack the ability to boondock very well. Avoid any machine that requires a battery to start. Check your chaincases daily. There were 13 failures that I know of last spring. 12 were Arctic Cat, 1 was Polaris. I saw a 550F Summit on craigslist the other day.

As for a preseason scouting trip. This fall has been some of the worst boating weather EVER. 3 boats got swamped, while under power, Labor Day weekend. Drifter and I fished 2 days in 3+ foot rollers. I helped a couple guys get back from Tyone too. Check the weather! SE winds make it hell to get back to the lodges, N winds make it hard to get out fishing, but leave more fishable, sheltered water.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

http://www.snobear.org/

Or you could get one of these....

I think thats a little out of my price range

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    http://www.snobear.org/

Or you could get one of these....

dirt and dube and the rest of you, I really appreciate the info, the wind issue hadn't ocurred to me. hope to see you on the water.

the valley is fished out, the russians with their illegal fishing fished it out already!!!! FISHED IT OUT!!!!
    Semper Fi!

dirt and dube and the rest of you, I really appreciate the info, the wind issue hadn't ocurred to me. hope to see you on the water.
    I hope you meant on the ice.
    Bill Hicks

Technically, your still on the water, just the top 3 feet are solid

got a quickfish 3 off craigslist today for $100, now I need to find a good auger and snowmachine.

Be careful what snowmachine you purchase. Look toward simple. Especially if you aren't mechanically inclined. I run an Eskimo Mako. No problems after 4 years.
    Bill Hicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast