Thread: Good place to hunt near Anchorage

Default Good place to hunt near Anchorage

Looking for any ideas on places to hunt uplands near Anchorage Wasilla/Palmer. With the light retreating obviously the distance has to be close. I live in Eagle River and would love to go out after work especially on days that I get off early and do a bit of hunting. I have hunting uplands all my life. Grew up on it and would love to start now that I am in Alaska.

Any Reports on where to hunt at Hatchers would be good as well.

Want to make something clear-- not looking for a hand out and your special favorite and best spots just general areas that you think would be good. Would also be willing to go with you or you with me and try out some spots--- or at least report back to the productivity of the area.

Hatchers hold interest as it is close for a weekend hunt when I have other things going and can not make a long weekend of it.

Thanks to all the help and I will be posting soon to my productivity of my own explorations.

Regardless of what ANYBODY says about hatchers pass being "hunted out" don't listen to them! Hatchers pass has so many ptarmigan crawling around it is ridiculous! The trick is getting to them...with a snow machine, hatchers is incredible...without one...it is trickier. But none the less, if you can get yourself into any of those valleys on either the palmer or willow side then you will find birds. look in the alder thickets going from the creek on up to the ridge line where they peter out. If your NOT seeing loads of tracks...then don't waste your time...you will see LOTS of sign if they are around...also you will hear them cackling away.
    A buddy and me went to the willow side and took his snowmachine up to an alpine valley about 10 times last year and got limits everytime!
    As for the eagle river area...there is good hunting to be had on the north side of Baldy on the platue and into the head waters of little peters creek.
    Good Luck!

mbrenna:

Thanks for the help. I live in Eagle River and spent quite a while looking at GMU maps on Sunday (as is was raining and I had nothing else to do). Thinking about taking some time this weekend to scout some of those areas out. I figured that hatchers might be a good place. Thanks for the tips on how to be productive. Going to try it out this weekend-- rain or shine.

Saw two spuce today. Took a drive up the arctic valley road -- looks like some good area in there.
    Just need to find out if and how to hunt it. Think the land I was looking at belongs to the military.

I am not sure about hunting in arctic valley. It is probably military BUT if you keep going up valley into the ship creek valley that is open hunting under the "chugach state park" management area. I am going to a secret valley tomorrow to find birds and will report back! I know that it is legal to hunt around badly as well.

arctic valley is part of the fort richardson recreation area. if you go to the visitor center you can get a recreation pass and should be allowed to hunt it. they also have more information there about small game hunting.there are lots of grouse on ft rich in the north part of the base.

Since you live in ER, I would try Peters Creek trail, I have always wanted to go back & check it out, just never have.
    Also I am not sure about this one, but you may be able to climb up the south fork into the ship creek drainage side. I would double check as I could be way off here on this one, but there seems to be ptarmigan on the south fork side so I would think they would be over the top & on the other side.