Thread: New to the Sport

Default New to the Sport

Hello all -- for those of you that wonder what NDH stands for it is "New Duck Hunter"-- yes I am another wanna be. I have hunted as a kid and done very little duck hunting and even that was not real duck hunting stalking small ponds while quail hunting--- but the sport just draws me--- yet the seeming difficulty of it has always kept me from just jumping in the deep end. I really want to get started. I am looking for gear that I should buy to get started.

I can not break the bank but I know that most sports have required items -- then work down from there to the luxury items. I know enough that waders, decoys, calls and such. I am looking to see what people think are good entry items as I know you can waste your money on cheap stuff yet the real expensive stuff is sometimes a luxury. Also looking for a list of stuff to buy in order of merit. I have some cheap waders now and thought I would at least spend this year getting out do some jump shooting and use that as a way to scout and get started.

Looking forward to the post-- I am in the Anchorage area for all that are wonding.

Have a good one and thanks for in advance for the help.

A small, light, stable boat would be at the top of my list. Home made or purchased would not matter.
    A small light long tail mud motor like the stump jumper.
    A shotgun that you can shoot well and get muddy without an issue.
    A dozen mallard decoys.
    A half dozen wigeon decoys.
    A half dozen green wing teal decoys.
    Breathable boot foot waders like Cabelas dry plus.
    Light weight camo coat in Max4 or duck blind - Drake pull over water proof is OK, but some duck blind material looks "white" when in the field and I can end up standing out really badly.
    A mid priced call that does not sound like a kazoo.

Thanks AK Ray--- guess it would have been helpful listing things I already have.

2x good shotguns one is a remington 870 -- no auto yet as that is a luxury I am waiting on (wish list is a WIN SX3--)
    Water proof jackets-- wading cold weather and light weight rain as well
    Cheap call -- not sure if it is any good as I suck
    Waders are breathable but they are the bootless (more fly fishing waders than hunting)
    Good shooting gloves

Questions: Why breathable-- thought they may not be as durable for brush -- also for the cold.

What about insulation in the waders -- understand it changes as we get further into the season

Also duck blinds??? coffin type not sure will work up here especially marsh hunting and little grain fields around???

Again thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    A small, light, stable boat would be at the top of my list. Home made or purchased would not matter.
    A small light long tail mud motor like the stump jumper.
    A shotgun that you can shoot well and get muddy without an issue.
    A dozen mallard decoys.
    A half dozen wigeon decoys.
    A half dozen green wing teal decoys.
    Breathable boot foot waders like Cabelas dry plus.
    Light weight camo coat in Max4 or duck blind - Drake pull over water proof is OK, but some duck blind material looks "white" when in the field and I can end up standing out really badly.
    A mid priced call that does not sound like a kazoo.
    Ray, have you been going through my stuff again?! Lol!

You hit the nail on the head with this list. I wouldn't add anything except for a good face mask.

Rain gear is a serious deal down here. I like wearing a gortex boonie cap because it protects from the rain but keeps my hearing intact so I can tell when birds are overhead. I took my hood off for that very reason.

Erich

Do you plan on doing decoy hunting or jump shooting. If just jump shooting, may as well stick to grouse, they taste better. All depends on your budget, Use what you have until you find out they don't work so good. How tough are you, it will soon be cold and that will send a lot of hunters to the fireplace. If you hunt in the cold you do need warm, well insulated clothing and waders, or wear lots of insulation under your summer weight waders. I don't see any deks at wal-mart anymore but use to be this time of year they has deks on sale for under $20 a doz, other places may have a sale on deks now that the season is almost over, keep a eye out. 12 gage with changeable choke tubes that will handle 3" shells, Mine will do 3.5 but I've never tried it. Get a duck call if you want to become proficient at scaring the hell out of mallards that are about to land. I enjoy calling a lot, but chase a lot of them off. For now there are places you can walk into, like cottonwood creek, and other spots you can find here, wait and decide if you want to invest in a boat or not. Buy a dog now, good labs are the best, and start training for next year. Dogs are at least half the fun of hunting. May as well give your woman the fall off, tell her you will be to busy and too tired to be much good between Sept-Nov. Be sure and get a good alarm clock, 2 am comes might early when you don't go to bed until 10-12 pm. Have fun. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    Questions: Why breathable-- thought they may not be as durable for brush -- also for the cold.

What about insulation in the waders -- understand it changes as we get further into the season

Also duck blinds??? coffin type not sure will work up here especially marsh hunting and little grain fields around???

I've never used breathable waders before, but I'd assume that you can dress warm enough under them that you won't miss the insulation of neoprene. I wear fleece wader pants and they keep my skin dry, but when I'm done after a hunt, they are soaked on the outside from sweat.

Your choice for duck blinds totally depends on where and how you hunt. If you are going to hunt on dry land, a layout blind is the way to go, hands down. There are tons of brands out there. You'd want one that folds up like the FA S.U.B. or X-lander since you probably won't be able to drive or push a cart to where you want to hunt. If you are going to use a boat, then you want something you can get to your spots with. Not too big, but not too small. I have a marsh rat and love it, but Momarsh DP's, Aqua Pods and 4 Rivers are great too. Then there's the awesome kit and plan boats usually made of wood and fiberglass that meet a duck hunters needs perfectly.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post

Chasing hit birds, pulling boat through the mud, etc. all work up a sweat. By the time it gets cold enough in Anchorage to require neo waders the majority of the birds are long gone.
    I have spent 30 years up here being out of doors while using the layers concept to adapt to changing conditions. Works well while wearing waders too. Cotton over a base layer for early season much like fishing season, then fleece over a base layer.
    Every place I have hunted up here if I am in brush it is because I have seriously messed up and am trying not to die. One trip into a floating alder bog on the "shore" and never again. Breathables work really well for nearly all the conditions I get into.

My duck blind is a grassed boat, or a pile of brush on the shore. There are some spots that a coffin blind might work, but that would be up in your luxury needs right now.