Thread: DM 802 Moose Hunt

Default DM 802 Moose Hunt

Thanks to those who provided information on this area. It was a learning experience but was truly an excellent hunt. We were not unfamilar with the Yukon river but hadn't actually hunted the Yukon itself. Sept. 15-25, Called in a nice 63" bull on the 23rd, got a good archery shot from about 10-12 yards but decided to finish the job with a .300 to avoid a much longer pack as he was moving further away from the river. Not a bad area, just not as good as some. We have no compaints though and also appreciate the friendlyness of the locals in that area.

Glad you have a fun hunt! Would be great to see pictures!

agreed, we need pictures

I've got a couple posted in the 2011 Hunting photo gallery. I will try to get a couple uploaded to this thread.

Pictures from recent DM802 moose hunt. Moose was taken upriver from the Nowitna and downriver from Tanana
    P9230332.jpgP9260350.jpg

awesome moose, wish we could have seen one like that when we did DM802 last year.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Based on input from others and F&G posted success rate for this area, we had decided early on that we would not be picky. We would take the first bull we found. That is what we did, it just turned out to be a really nice one. One local told us "I just hunt the islands". It was good advice.

That bull is just as big as he looks. We met CDAK and his partner at the landing after our "camping trip" down the Yukon when we spied the monster antlers laying next to the truck. WOWSA!!! It was a great story, and my partner and I enjoyed the telling of it. Sure wish your video had come out better. To have been that close must have been a thrill. Glad to have met you both, and again, congrats.
    ARR

How far did you travel? A buddy and I are wanting to do it next year. How many days did you stay in? See many other moose? Did you buy fuel up the Yukon? Any other animals besides moose spotted? Sorry for all the questions but its nice to ask someone everything I've been thinking in regards to that hunt. Thanks I appreciate all the information.

Dang!! That is a dandy bull. Nice job.

I would say it is legal, good call on shooting this one. That is a really nice moose, sweeeeeet.

What kind of boat is that in background? Sea ark?

Quote Originally Posted by cdakrwm View Post
    Pictures from recent DM802 moose hunt. Moose was taken upriver from the Nowitna and downriver from Tanana
    P9230332.jpgP9260350.jpg
    Very nice moose... Hey is that "Tom" with you? If so I know him from Seward, we drew two trophy tags for 830 and tagged a 57 1/2" and 54 1/2". Tell him I said hi and congrates again on an awesome moose.
    Tony

Thanks ARR, always fun to share those stories. Great to meet you guys also.
    Teacherman, we left the bridge on the morning of the 14th, ran 200 +- and started hunting on the 15th. Truthfully, we didn't see alot. Called out two bulls on the 20th only to have one shot right in front of us, (across a slough). It's tough to compete with the local evening river runners. We saw lots of bear and wolf tracks. We followed up on a total of three gut piles after a minimum of 24 hours and none had been touched. We did buy fuel at Tanana on the way out. Started the trip with 120 gal.
    The boat is a Valco 24'.