Thread: Valdez spring bear hunt

Default Valdez spring bear hunt

Im thinking about putting in some time next spring for a mid May hunt out of Valdez. I have a 21' Hewes that I will be taking out provided that the weather is good enough. Ive had it out down there a few times now and it seems to do pretty good up to about a 3 to 4 foot chop. Anyhow... Im looking for some advice from people who have hunted the area before such as how far you go out, when do they start hitting the beaches, are you baiting or just glassing...

Ive wanted to go the last few years but I havent had the time, this spring should be different. Thanks for any help fellas.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Im thinking about putting in some time next spring for a mid May hunt out of Valdez. I have a 21' Hewes that I will be taking out provided that the weather is good enough. Ive had it out down there a few times now and it seems to do pretty good up to about a 3 to 4 foot chop. Anyhow... Im looking for some advice from people who have hunted the area before such as how far you go out, when do they start hitting the beaches, are you baiting or just glassing...

Ive wanted to go the last few years but I havent had the time, this spring should be different. Thanks for any help fellas.

Ron
    I've hunted PWS a few times now. Killed a 6'3 bear two years ago, and missed a huge 7' + bear this year. I do all my hunting via spot and stalk. You can set up a bait if you like, you'll get a bear for sure, but it's like cheating out there. It's more fun to put the sneak on them. Spend more time glassing and less time boating. You'll see more bears. The edges of grassy flats and openings along the beach are bear magnets. They spend lots of time eating that grass, so just sit and watch those for an hour or so at a time. You'll get a crack at one.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for the info! Im not looking to crowd anyone, but, what direction outside the narrows is the best way to go? Im thinking west to stay away from the native lands but Im not to sure.

Go East and start working the bays and the specific terrain pike palace mentioned.