Thread: New AK Series inflatable loses pressure in all chambers?

Default New AK Series inflatable loses pressure in all chambers?

Is it normal for inflatable boats to lose pressure over time??? I have a 1 year old AK Series 420AR and I have to pump it up every time I use it. All the chambers lose pressure evenly - not just one chamber. All the valves are closed and there aren't any poke holes. The last time I used it was in August and now all the chambers are about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Is this normal? I've only used this boat a few times. What should I do?

Thanks,
    Zeb

If the last time you used it was in Aug it's probably just the difference in tempature. If all the chambers are losing air at the same rate I doubt you have a leak. You can pump it up firm and use soapy water to make sure you don't have a leak or bad seals.

Yep. Sounds like temp change to me. Just as if you air it up on shore then launch it in a glacial river. Sometimes it needs a couple extra pumps.

Fill a spray bottle with dish soap, water mix. pump up raft to desired pressure, spray with mist over complete raft, go have a snack, come back and see if any white worms are coming out of the tubes, mix 1/4 cup soap to 3 cups water. If it is leaking there are products that can fix it or if it is still under warrentee, return it. Temp really effects the pressures, cold water, cool morning, hot afternoons. Always carry a pump to top off in the morning before starting the day.

Temp change was my first thought too, but I keep it in the garage, and the pressure is waaaaay down. Still, I have to believe that's what's causing it since all of the tubes are uniformly low.

Thanks,
    Zeb

If all chambers deflate evenly and you are sure it is not temp change, then check all the valves for leakage.

Call Jim King, That is what the no fault 5 year warranty is for, if there is a problem he will stand up and fix it. I know first hand.

Tom

I doubt that this is the issue in your case, however there is another cause of all chambers inflating or deflating evenly; blown baffles. It's surprising how many folks fully inflate one chamber before moving on to the next. Clearly they are not aware that the only thing keeping air from entering the next chamber is a glued-in disk of raft fabric inside the tube. These disks are called baffles and they can be weakened over time unless care is taken to back-pressure them from both sides during inflation and deflation by inflating and deflating all chambers evenly. If you end up with too much pressure in one tube and none in the next, the baffle can separate from the inside of the tube. If all the baffles blow, you have a one-chamber boat. Test it yourself by inflating the boat from one valve. If air flows from one chamber to another evenly, your baffles are blown. If this happens with a new boat, it is probably a manufacturing defect.

Regardless of the cause, blown baffles can be repaired only by opening up the whole tube.

Of course with boats made by AIRE, air is retained by an inner bladder system that is somewhat more forgiving. Simply inflate one chamber to shape and back-pressure it by inflating the adjacent chambers.

I'm only mentioning this because I know many folks are not aware of the need to pressure all chambers evenly. In the casein question, I would deflate the whole boat, then partially inflate one chamber and let it sit overnight. If the next day shows evidence of air leakage into an adjacent chamber, take it into a shop for repair. Of course you will need to check each chamber.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay