Thread: Any bivy bag users out there?

Default Any bivy bag users out there?

After nearly spending the night on the North slope packing out caribou from over 5 miles out I decided I needed 2 things. A new sleeping bag and a bivy sack. I decided to go with a Ti-Goat Ptarmigan bivy after days of reviews. I'm a big MSR guy, got about 1 of everything from em, but it pretty much boiled down to Integral Designs and Ti-Goat, price wasn't the issue, but after many reviews of both the Ptarmigan bivy owners were really happy with this product. Looks like the quality control on this 2 man operation with a USA made product is just awesome, just hope mine gets in in a week or 2, gonna put it thru the test in the mountains in Seward before the snow hits too hard. Anyways I made my order this am, got the bug hood too. Just checkin in to see if anyone else uses the Ti Goat or other bivy sacks, and how it works for ya. at a few ounces for a emergency shelter with bag, looks like good insurance.

Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Do yourself a favor and bring along a sil tarp or tent fly along with your bivy. I believe this is pretty much standard procedure on extended trips in wet areas in Alaska with a bivy. Try getting into a bivy after a wet day of hunting with your wet cloths or out of your bivy in the morning when it is raining without a tarp or fly....and you will figure out exactly what I'm talking about. I brought along the fly off my 2 person 4 season tent on a recent Seward mtn goat hunt and it was a lifesaver! A fly or tarp gives you extra protection from the elements plus a lot more room to cook, dry things out, skin hides, etc. An added bonus is you can open up your bivy under the tarp/fly and it will prevent concensation inside your bag. A bivy works good w/fly alone or you can also add a cut piece of painters plastic for a floor for $4.00 at Home Depot.

My fly with poles added around 2 extra pounds but if you split it between 2 guys the added wt/bulk is definitely worth it! There are a number of tarps/flies that are available that you can use your treking poles rather than tent poles that save a little weight/bulk.

i agree with jim. bivys are nice but don't provide any room to get out of the elements. a tarp can be a quick lightweight fix. even though bivys usually weigh less than 2 lbs i use my 2 man tent way more than my bivy. Its more roomy and with 2 people you can easily split the 5 lbs weight of it. I like my bivy and great for emergencys but rarely use it if i can help it. good thing to have though.

I have a ID bivy that I have used several times over the years and have been very happy with it. I have used it sheep hunting and moose hunting, but carry it mostly as an emergency shelter, especialy when out on the sno-go. They are a great item to have and also work well to up the effectiveness of a sleeping bag on those cold nights, seems to add about 10deg. A tarp or Mega-Mid is a great addition as stated above. There have been a time or two when out solo and had only the bivy, the obligatory extra layer of clothing and a foam pad with me, I was comfortable catching a few winks in a tree well.

One important thing to remember is to remove the sleeping bag and turn the bivy out each morning to prevent mildew from condensation buildup.

Having a bivy and a tarp is fantastic E-(mergency)quipment.

What about a bivy for tall guy?? I'm talking 6'8"

The TiGoat Ptarmigan bivy is listed at 87" in length.

Bivy