Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ice fishing product from Vexilar

Default New ice fishing product from Vexilar

Check out this new product from Vexilar. http://vexilar.com/ I think this is a great idea to combine a flasher with an underwater camera. If you already own a Vexilar, you can upgrade to the camera/sonar system. I really like to fact that the depth, direction and water temperature are all displayed. Only comes with 80' of cable.

The only thing I am not sure of is which one of the addicted to ice fishing for lake trout fisherman that I fish with will purchase this first?

I don't think it will be me since I just bought a new sled

wow 959.00 i wish but after the last two underwater camara just breaking for no reason. i cant bring myself to spend the money
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Hey Gutleap, I'm just going to just keep using The Force.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Ron says he has a coupon??

lake trout are so nomadic and constantly moving, that I have no use for a vexilar. I spent four hundred dollars, and got nothing from the product with lakers. occasionally, i'd see a bleap of red or orange on the screen, but without enough time to connect. in fact, every lake trout I've ever caught was without one. I remember back in the 1980's ice fishing with my father, we judged the shore and lake depth to connect with every species we caught. for people from Minnesota who fish for schooling perch and crappie.......good for you and your vexilar. I don't need mine and wished I hadn't spent that kind of money. The Scent of your bait, the location, the time of the day, and the amount of time you put in jigging with spoons equates to success easily achieved without a vexilar. Who wants mine?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    lake trout are so nomadic and constantly moving, that I have no use for a vexilar. I spent four hundred dollars, and got nothing from the product with lakers. occasionally, i'd see a bleap of red or orange on the screen, but without enough time to connect. in fact, every lake trout I've ever caught was without one. I remember back in the 1980's ice fishing with my father, we judged the shore and lake depth to connect with every species we caught. for people from Minnesota who fish for schooling perch and crappie.......good for you and your vexilar. I don't need mine and wished I hadn't spent that kind of money. The Scent of your bait, the location, the time of the day, and the amount of time you put in jigging with spoons equates to success easily achieved without a vexilar. Who wants mine?
    I find that quite amazing! You must be using the force! Every lake trout that I have caught was with the use of electronics. I have even called it on the screen and new exactly when I was going to hook up. I have seen the fish on the screen come up to the jig and turn away as well. Last year was the first year I fished for lakers and I would say I did o.k. using my electronics. I plan on exploring some new water this winter and will do so with electronics.

The only place I do not use electronics is where I can pour white limas on the bottom and see the fish come in.

Remember I asked first..... I want it..can you send it insured for me?

Jedi Master Salmon Slayer
    1931 Christine Drive
    North Pole Alaska 99705

I agree that electronics are not an end all solution in finding and catching fish in deep lakes. However, after using a showdown and a vexilar last season, and seeing the amount of success I had at harding lake, I would not fish wihtout electronics in deep lakes ever again. Its like fishing blind after using one.

If they were not that good, and did not work well ....would they be able to sell them for the price they ask?

cool, let me rummage through ice fishing gear and when I find the vexilar, I'll pm yah first before posting it for sale, although $400 was a heavy loss, so I'd hope to see a tiny bit of monetary substance, or heck......even a trade.

found the vexilar and the charger. I used a small vehicle charger to charge the little mini deep cycle vexilar battery. I did find the charger, but it always gives the "green light" when you attempt to charge the battery. Would make a good trade for a .22 pistol or rifle.

cool, let me rummage through ice fishing gear and when I find the vexilar, I'll pm yah first before posting it for sale, although $400 was a heavy loss, so I'd hope to see a tiny bit of monetary substance, or heck......even a trade.
    oh...thought you were giving it away? I see you want to barter or negotiate for the unit....no worries, guess its worth something after all?? Which unit do you have? How old is it? type of transducer?

vexilar FL-8 se. With the pro pack frame that will hold a small plano box and the frame protects the vexilar in a 5 gallon bucket.

Bought new in 2006, used about 10 days, then left home to collect dust.

vexilar FL-8 se. With the pro pack frame that will hold a small plano box and the frame protects the vexilar in a 5 gallon bucket.

I believe that unit will only go down to 120 feet? That is just about the minimum depth I am fishing at.

240 feet, maximum depth. I only used the D1 setting as the lake I fished I only needed to go down 120 ft. Here's the manual:

Page 9

http://vexilar.com/pages/support/pdf/vexilar_fl-8.pdf

The FL-8SE Pro Pack referenced here
    http://vexilar.com/pages/products/pr..._fl-8se_pp.php

says this unit only reads to 120??

Do you have a FL-8 or the FL-8SE?

thanks for jogging my memory, I guess you're right, it only goes to 120ft. guess it'll probably have to collect some more dust. Although I've caught lakers deep, 50 ft. of water is where I usually run, but it may not be the model for you. Good luck with your ice fishing season.

no worries, my buddy is running a FL-12 propack and I am using a showdown marcum. Both units read deep depths and work great.

Deep lakers to us are being caught in 80 feet or deeper. most of are fish are off the bottom and we are catching them as deep as 160 feet. Like I said the starting depth for us is right about 100 to 120 feet, hence the need for an extra eye. The model you have is sold new locally for about $350 and refurbished units sold by Vexilar can be found for under $300.

I am sure someone would be in the market for you dust collector, good luck to you also.

I still cant afford the camera extra without a coupon...haha

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Ron says he has a coupon??
    A coupon?? Now that's funny!! LMAO I truly enjoy paying full price as getting a discount on good quality outdoor gear somehow deprives me of my right to stimulate the economy.

I own a color camera. It's anAquaview "spool".
    I also have a Vexilar FL20 propack.
    Anymore I almost exclusively use the Vexilar. I catch a lot more fish because of it and sometimes bigger fish too.
    I could give you many exaples of outfishing the person next to me or catching bigger fish that came in at a different depth etc.
    $900+ is a bit much for a lot of peoples budgets. Not sure how many they will sell at that price point.
    Cameras are fun to play with but the ease of dropping the transducer in the hole and getting the instant readings on depth and fish on a flasher is amazing.
    Being able to see a school of kokanee or rainbows reappear after a 20 minute absence and being ready helps me catch a lot more fish.
    Fishing a new lake and being able to find the depth zone I am looking for or the presence/absence of fish is great. And I don't have to lower the camera and pan around with it. Drop the transducer on its float and I instantly know whats going on.
    When properly tuned I know when a trout has stolen my bait from my jig without having to reel it up and check after every little bite.
    I have caught thousands of fish before I had my Flasher but I am 100% positive I catch a lot more since I have owned mine.
    I am sold on using electronice for icefishing. But I don't see myself buying one of these new devices anytime soon as there is a lot of other things I would buy first.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast