Thread: Spey Nymphing/ Dead drifting question?

Default Spey Nymphing/ Dead drifting question?

So I am trying to figure out a way to nymph/ dead drift with my spey rod and be able to swing using my skagit line. I want to be able to do both styles of fishing and not carry 2 rods. Now from what I have researched guys are using 10-12ft leader, yarn as an indicator, floating tip, skagit head, running line. Now I have been told you can't dead drift with a spey because there's to much drag from the line, but I don't like that answer. I figure that, yeah ok you can do it but you will have to high stick to illiminate drag to get a good dead drift. But you can only high stick so far and you lose the ability fish farther away from yourself. Maybe dip and flip upstream, and then as your line comes parallel with you rollcast out as far as you want and then mend my little heart out of it? Anybody have any insight into this? Or am I stuck carrying 2 rods the rest of my natural life?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Perhaps pick up a centerpin reel and mount it to your spey rod for dead drifting. All my float rods are built on 12.5' spey rod blanks. Unless you are opposed to "pinning" it would be easy to just throw a pin on the spey rod while fishing nymphs, beads, jigs, etc... Most natural drift you ever saw. When you want to change tactics, take the reel off and put the other reel on the rod. Best of both worlds on one rod.

-Dan

Dan that's a good idea that had crossed my mind. I know of a couple hardcore pinners and talked to Drifter about it and know its deadly. I guess if I can keep it spey with what I have, that's what I'd like to do. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with pinning, but if I am going to go that way I just use a conventional setup. I know there has to be a way to stay spey. Man that rhymes!

Piscor Ergo Sum

Franken

I have had great success fishing beads and nymphs with the spey. Skagit, floating tip, long leader...might not be the prettiest but fish still bite my fly. Fun too, casts forever long.

You might be able to try a scandi head, to reduce that water born effect of the skagit. Then again...i see alot of scandi lines at home and skagits on the river. Someting about difficulty and timing. I myself have not thrown a scandi yet, but hear its the prefferred methode for finesse fishing with smaller flies.

Get a switch rod with one reel set up with skagit line and carry another reel with floating fly line.

Quote Originally Posted by dmahay View Post
    Franken

I have had great success fishing beads and nymphs with the spey. Skagit, floating tip, long leader...might not be the prettiest but fish still bite my fly. Fun too, casts forever long.

You might be able to try a scandi head, to reduce that water born effect of the skagit. Then again...i see alot of scandi lines at home and skagits on the river. Someting about difficulty and timing. I myself have not thrown a scandi yet, but hear its the prefferred methode for finesse fishing with smaller flies.
    Dan, are you using and kind of strike indicator? I know its going to be ugly but if I can get some distance and get a decent enough dead drift I would be pink with delight. Going back to MN and will be Steelhead fishing on the Brule river in northern Wi for a couple days and nymphs and globugs are king. Also would like to throw some streamers. I have a bit of checked luggage being that I will also be deer hunting and can really only bring one rod. Thanks for the help

Piscor Ergo Sum

Nymphing with a spey rod requires a line that has enough mass to mend to the indicator, yet has the correct mass placement to be able to cast with spey-family casts.

Enter the Speydicator.

If you are going to nymph, but still want to throw heads and swing and don't feel like carrying a pile of lines, then this is the line for you.

With this line, you can throw a bobber/shot/nymph combo 60-80 feet and mend all the way to the indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Nymphing with a spey rod requires a line that has enough mass to mend to the indicator, yet has the correct mass placement to be able to cast with spey-family casts.

Enter the Speydicator.

If you are going to nymph, but still want to throw heads and swing and don't feel like carrying a pile of lines, then this is the line for you.

With this line, you can throw a bobber/shot/nymph combo 60-80 feet and mend all the way to the indicator.
    I do have a spare spool that I could put spedicator on. Have you ever used it? Is it worth it to buy?

Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Have you ever used it?
    Yes.

Is it worth it to buy?
    Yes.

A few years back, I had a peripheral hand in the development of this line. If you truly want to nymph with a spey rod, this is the best line for the job.

Yes.

Yes.

A few years back, I had a peripheral hand in the development of this line. If you truly want to nymph with a spey rod, this is the best line for the job.
    Well from what I hear, you are the Two Hand Man. I appreciate the advice and will definitely be picking that line up. Question, how long of a leader do I use? Also do I need an indicator or does it have an indicator tip on it? If I do use and indicator what is the best to chuck and will do the least damage to my cast?

Piscor Ergo Sum

how long of a leader do I use? Also do I need an indicator or does it have an indicator tip on it? If I do use and indicator what is the best to chuck and will do the least damage to my cast?
    Leader length is a depth-dependent and personal preference thing, and doesn't affect the cast or setup too much. If you are using a very short (less than 5') or very long (more than 14') leader, things can get a bit tricky. For short leaders, I prefer to run a 5' floating polyleader off the front of the speydicator, then attach my fishing leader to that.

There is no indicator tip on the line, and my indicator of choice is the thingamabobber for overall castability and effectiveness.

Leader length is a depth-dependent and personal preference thing, and doesn't affect the cast or setup too much. If you are using a very short (less than 5') or very long (more than 14') leader, things can get a bit tricky. For short leaders, I prefer to run a 5' floating polyleader off the front of the speydicator, then attach my fishing leader to that.

There is no indicator tip on the line, and my indicator of choice is the thingamabobber for overall castability and effectiveness.
    Gsmolt thank you for the help. One day down the river if we ever meet, I owe you a couple beers.

Piscor Ergo Sum

When it's the only game in town, I bead fish with my spey rod. Floating tip, leader of appropriate length and a 3/4" Thingamabobber for an indicator. I use a Skagit line line and a Mendmaster running line. Since I'm fishing a bead upstream, I'll do my set farther out than normal on a double spey cast. That big bobber really helps with the anchor.

L

I agree with powerdrifter. Switching is def a way to to accomplish both.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Gsmolt thank you for the help.

One day down the river if we ever meet, I owe you a couple beers.

As do many of us.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RajeffSp.../2/9uPJKOGqBcs

flies the size of a spark plug...

Using a normal size scandi head works too, but the downside is tips and scandis don't mix, so dredging is tough. Plus over head casting a scandi is not out of the question at all.

Also if you are using a skagit the perry poke with a poke placed upstream can do the trick. I use a skagit when dead drifting out of a boat work good.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Well I am sold on the speydicator. Just need to get off this boat I work on and get after it! 2 1/2 weeks and the fall Steelheading will resume! Thanks for all the insight fellas!

Piscor Ergo Sum