Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swan shooters this morning.

Thumbs down Swan shooters this morning.

while I was hunting in my blind this morning and watched some guys on the other side of the river shooting at every swan that came within 100yards. They never knocked one down. After awhile I saw one walking the river so I walked to the bank and yelled across. I said you do know it's illegal to shoot swans right? he replied...are those swans? arent they "emperor geese". I said no...they're swans...and you do not want to shoot them. he said oh ok thanks. and walked off....Other then that I had a good morning with 4 mallard. 1 pin. and 1 widgeon. cook inlet by the way.

Those guys sound like they shouldn't be shooting at anything.

I thought so too. They sounded southern. At least 2 of them did.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

You need to make an official call to the troopers. Even if nothing comes of it, you owe everyone on here the call to report what you saw.

Erich

are we allowed to shoot emperor geese? I thought they were no shooters too. I am going to have to look that up.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The regs say Emperor geese have no open season, so either way they were shooting at birds they weren't supposed to be. Scumbags.

Ok. I will report this. They were hunting a place with 1 way in n 1 way out. Maybe they'll know who they were I don't know. If they didn't hit any could they get in trouble. They were close enough for me to tell there were no ducks around them...just the swans and they shot. 3 separate times

btw, congrats on a great hunt! Those are some good eating birds you shot. I don't think the troopers can do anything about the last incident you saw, unless you got them on video. If they do it again I would definetly call. Maybe you telling them they were swans was enough to make them realize they need to learn a little about waterfowl identification.

Good point..no proof..not much they can do..if you had cell phone coverage and saw it happen you could report it at the time...

Good job on letting them know....idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    btw, congrats on a great hunt! Those are some good eating birds you shot. I don't think the troopers can do anything about the last incident you saw, unless you got them on video. If they do it again I would definetly call. Maybe you telling them they were swans was enough to make them realize they need to learn a little about waterfowl identification.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I went to the same place this morning. Had the marsh to myself except one guy walking around. For some reason the birds were turning away from me this morning...ended with 2. N they were long shots...60 yards ish. Like...didn't expect them to actually drop. No sign of the idiots from yesterday. My cell does work there. I'll call right away if I witness that again. It really pissed me off...I yelled some choice words first time they did it.

If it wasn't so stupid, it would almost be funny. Yes, BTW, you can get in trouble for shooting at swans even if you do not kill any if the fish cops think they can get a conviction without a swan. The hunting regs include attempting to take within the definition of "taking", which is frankly a little difficult to defend legally. This was a subject of coniderable discussion several years ago when a hunter on Kodiak shot at and missed a bear, which his guide then proceeded to kill on an immediate follow up shot. The hunter didn't want to tag the bear, but ADF&G made him on threat of prosecution based upon the definition in the regs of taking. So if you see them again, take some video with your phone and try to get a shot that can be used to identify them, then you may get the fish cops to do something.

It's not only the outcome of the action but the intent of the action. A missed shot does not relieve you of the responsibilities of your actions nor the intent of your actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Odiebo View Post
    It's not only the outcome of the action but the intent of the action. A missed shot does not relieve you of the responsibilities of your actions nor the intent of your actions.
    So, on those days that the shooting ability sucks.......if I attempt to kill, by shooting at, 20+ ducks, does that mean I exceeded my limit??? Just pondering......

On the swans, I've seen guys shoot at them before, usually from a distance. I've seen a couple of guys actually knock several down, but they were gone by the time we got over to that spot. In that case, they left the dead swans there, and took off. Evidently, they knew what they were doing. Called the troopers, but nothing came of it. They were Tundra swans, which out west, is legal to take. Wish we could legally shoot Tundra Swans around here, I bet they are tastey. I'm guessing we arent allowed to shoot swans here is due to the fact that we have Trumpeters and identification can be a little tougher.

[QUOTE=AK375HH;1015723]I thought so too. They sounded southern. At least 2 of them did.[/QUOTE

them stupid southerners should be sent back to the lower 48! probably came up in the military to rape and pillage our lands. shame on them.
    Semper Fi!

Running back to the Knik launch after hunting today there was a swan sitting on a low tide puddle along side where I was running the boat. I ran by about 50 ft from the swan, expected him to fly off but he didn't. I suspect he may be carrying some steel shot in him. Too bad, beautiful birds. I hear from some who hunt them in Nevada that they are tasty. Bud
    Wasilla

Swans are indeed tasty. Make sure you you have killed them dead before you approach them (should you ever make it out to where it is legal) because throttling a swan which isn't dead is an experience you will not soon forget.

An unfortunately recurring event in the Knik watershed.
    Best of luck getting enforcement onto perpetrators. Appreciated - thanks for reporting.

Banned

You should not be allowed to hunt if you miss 20 ducks. We need hunter education if those dudes ( and I don't mean, Like dude, I mean like Cheechackos) really did not know they were swans. Which is unlikely! Swans are tough and not that tasty as I have hunted them in Western Alaska and in the North.

It would be a shame to have a legal season here as they would get shot to hell and never return, just like the large geese population of former years.

Quote Originally Posted by ownerstate View Post
    You should not be allowed to hunt if you miss 20 ducks.
    Ha Ha, and in all your years of hunting you have not missed 20 ducks, you must be one hell of a shot. Bud
    Wasilla

Swan does indeed taste good. I had a friend cook some he shot out west and it was delicious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast