Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 230

Thread: shooting sitting ducks?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default shooting sitting ducks?

    who does it? I, for one, do. Because I don't have the wing shooting skill that most others have, I want to ensure a clean kill. I admit to shooting and wounding ducks that I prolly shouldn't have shot at. and thats the reason I shoot sitters. me and my friend often have competitions to see who can get the closests to a duck or group of ducks, after the first shot the other (who is waiting about 40 yards back) rushes over and tries to line up his sights on any of the remainding ducks (mainly if there is one that might have taken a couple stray pellets) anyway, makes for some good clean fun and good clean kills.

    I know in oregon it is illeagle to shoot them on the water (except maybe if you are using a bow???) but I can't find anything in the regs about that up here
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  2. #2
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    I have on quite a few occassions. They seem to taste the same compared to the birds I've shot from the air.

  3. #3

    Smile What?

    What? Can ducks fly???
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I have on quite a few occassions. They seem to taste the same compared to the birds I've shot from the air.
    well, I'd think they would be relaxed, and thus more tender...... How do you cook yours?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    What? Can ducks fly???
    LOL not those hundreds of clippled ones that all those stupid people (being anyone except rich folks who kill every bird every shot) shoot,
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  6. #6
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default sleucing

    That's for people who can't hit them flying. I think it's unsporting. I don't really care if people do it, I've watched them do it. You have to give the ducks a chance and let them fly, at least for half a seccond, if you ask me. I don't do it. I don't think being a $h!tty wingshooter isnt a very good excuse. If you eat them as a food source I could see it.
    Last edited by AK375HH; 10-01-2011 at 22:47. Reason: spelling

  7. #7
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Whatever puts them in the pot. I can't see hunting ducks if they are not a food source.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Juneau, AK
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    who does it? I, for one, do. Because I don't have the wing shooting skill that most others have, I want to ensure a clean kill. I admit to shooting and wounding ducks that I prolly shouldn't have shot at. and thats the reason I shoot sitters. me and my friend often have competitions to see who can get the closests to a duck or group of ducks, after the first shot the other (who is waiting about 40 yards back) rushes over and tries to line up his sights on any of the remainding ducks (mainly if there is one that might have taken a couple stray pellets) anyway, makes for some good clean fun and good clean kills.

    I know in oregon it is illeagle to shoot them on the water (except maybe if you are using a bow???) but I can't find anything in the regs about that up here
    I do it only if they won't flush first. Last year I had two wigeon in my decoys that REFUSED to flush at me standing and shouting then both I and my dog entered the water! That's enough for me to take them on the water.

    Also, your comment about it being illegal in Oregon is not correct. I've hunted in Oregon for over a decade and it's never been illegal. If they can't pass and enforce a law against sky busting, how in the world would they hope to do anything with an "anti-sluicing law"?!

    It's not the most sporting thing to do, I don't have a problem with it.

    Erich

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    That's for people who can't hit them flying. I think it's unsporting. I don't really care if people do it, I've watched them do it. You have to give the ducks a chance and let them fly, at least for half a seccond, if you ask me. I don't do it. I don't think being a $h!tty wingshooter isnt a very good excuse. If you eat them as a food source I could see it.
    well said,
    to each their own but the wing shooting aspect of it is most of the fun for me anyway.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    302

    Default

    If you eat it I don't really care how you kill it.

  11. #11
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...I can't see hunting ducks if they are not a food source.
    +1 Do folks hunt ducks but not eat them? Seriously?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  12. #12
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    To each thier own, but I prefer wingshooting. And if they do land I always try to flush them first. If they won't flush when I am yelling at them, then they are asking for it. But I have noticed that shooting them in the air results in more kills than shooting them on the water. And shooting them in the air is a lot more fun for me, because I have never heard anybody say, "Wow did you see that shot!" when you shoot one on the water.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  13. #13
    Member Birdstrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    It lowers your shell-to-bird ratio. lol On a good day you can limit out with 2 shots.

  14. #14
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    +1 Do folks hunt ducks but not eat them? Seriously?
    Unfortunately, yes, they do as witnessed by the great amount of banging that goes on across Katchemak Bay during the winter months for "sea ducks". Not sure how many of those fishy characters (the ducks, not the hunters) get eaten.

  15. #15
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    every single one of my sea ducks got eaten. The only one that I found fishy was the harlequin. But I pass on those now. The scoters taste just fine. I'm not sure where they got the bad reputation for being poor quality meat. Maybe I just have different taste buds than everybody else.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  16. #16
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Well more power to ya then! I find even the pin tails and green heads over there to be kinda "sea-ish". I much prefer the inland ducks, but have witnessed even the mallards around here eating salmon flesh and eggs. Kinda gross. I soak all the ducks I get in salt water overnight which seems to neutralize some of the strong taste. Some people won't eat their ducks at all, but try to give them away.

  17. #17
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Shooting them on the wing is half the fun. The only ones I shoot on the water already have lead posioning. And yes I eat them, but not if I can give them away. The only reason I hunt ducks is to see the cupped wings over my deks and to hear the occasional one that quacks back at my call. If you have never had a conversation with a duck, you are really missing out. Bud
    Wasilla

  18. #18
    Supporting Member sigabrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southcentral
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    The only ones I shoot on the water already have lead posioning.
    You mean steel poisoning---right?
    "Your papers are not in order"

  19. #19
    Member Waldo2382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Homer, AK
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Unfortunately, yes, they do as witnessed by the great amount of banging that goes on across Katchemak Bay during the winter months for "sea ducks". Not sure how many of those fishy characters (the ducks, not the hunters) get eaten.
    Plenty down here get eaten. The ones I or friends haven't eaten are ones that go to the taxidermist. I happen to know a few of the locals down here that duck hunt and we all eat our birds. Make duck sausage and it all tastes the same. Most of my friends that I take hunting usually take theirs home and when they don't, it's so I can make some sausage with them because it is that good. As for a great amount of banging, I don't know about that. I haven't seen the sea duck hunting thing become that popular.

  20. #20
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waldo2382 View Post
    Plenty down here get eaten. The ones I or friends haven't eaten are ones that go to the taxidermist. I happen to know a few of the locals down here that duck hunt and we all eat our birds. Make duck sausage and it all tastes the same. Most of my friends that I take hunting usually take theirs home and when they don't, it's so I can make some sausage with them because it is that good. As for a great amount of banging, I don't know about that. I haven't seen the sea duck hunting thing become that popular.
    Banging; tongue-in-cheek.
    How do you make duck sausage, please?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •