Thread: Switch Plates

Default Switch Plates

Looking for something unique for light switch and outlet plates for the cabin, walls are either T&G pine, cedar and birch and there is nothing but wood for walls, ceiling and floors in the cabin. Looking at the plates they have a Cabelas but not a fan of the prefab stuff...anyone know a local place or even on line to order something unique?

Thanks

We like the moose silhouette ones in black wrought iron. You can find one kind at http://habitatter.com/moose-wrought-...e-p-11679.html and there are others too. You might do a google images search for "moose switch plates".

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You could search online for "unique switch plates" for an incredible variety of options.

You could hire a local artisan to craft almost any design to your specifications.

You could buy a bunch of cheap metal plates at the hardware store, sand and prime them, then have a family decorating party where everyone gets to paint their own fanciful designs on them. (I say metal only because it's easier to prime than the usual plastic ones, but either can work.)

Or, since all switch plates really are is a flat piece, of any size bigger than the electrical box it covers, with a rectangular slot and a couple of screw holes, you can make your own plates out of almost anything non-flammable. Personally, having a bunch of odd knotty splits left over from trying to make shakes, I carved a few into strange shapes, planed the backs, then drilled and mortised appropriately, and made my own. (For safety, the ones on my 12 VDC light switches are plain wood, but the ones on my 120 VAC appliance switches are backed with sheet metal.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    We like the moose silhouette ones in black wrought iron. You can find one kind at http://habitatter.com/moose-wrought-...e-p-11679.html and there are others too. You might do a google images search for "moose switch plates".

-Mike
    Iron, here's a calling for ya. Make these fine switch plates (use you own design, or course) here in Alaska. And then sell them worldwide. Probalby have to add in other areas' animals: whitetail deer, RM Elk, Gators, or what have you...

There's just no way these place should be made in Central NY, some of the most expensive real estate in the country.

Not sure it's what you are looking for, but check out what Nick has to offer at www.outrageousiron.com.

hey thanks f.m. those are real cool, if I only had a computer plaz cutter I would definately think about these, I am in the stoneage and cut all my stuff with oxy acytelene torch. I have several different patterns I do but they are all largers silhouettes
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Greer tank has a high presser water cutter that will cut any design you want out of Alum, or any type of steel.

What do you think of a profile of you and each member of your family made out of highly polish Alum. Or wool painted alum?

Default How about stone?

I ran into a similar project where the normal china made junky hardware store quality switch plates wouldn't cut it. There are a couple good stone cutters on POW that fabricate switch plates and outlet covers from local Prince of Wales Island greenstone and Calder Bay marble. Very nice. One of these artisans is located in Craig and another in Thorne Bay. Just google Alaska stone art or something similar and you'll find their websites. They may even be in Anchorage attending the "Made in Alaska" thing at the Sullivan Arena this weekend.

Calder Bay marble is beautiful stuff. The capital building in Olympia is made of it and so is the post office in Clarkston, Wa.

There is a business out of Montana that makes blued pine switchplates and outlet covers. You can get them natural and stain/poly them yourself or have them stain them for you. You get your choice of how you want your faceplate to look as well. Just let them know what you need and they will make them up for you, you can even request how you want them to look, i.e. lots of knots, etc. I found them on ebay....

http://alaskaornamentaliron.com/
    Did a semi-custom railing for us using the cabin theme, but also incorporating desired elements (raven, aurora, etc). Very responsive to our artistic desires. Reasonable price and delivery timeline. Fairbanks based.

I'm sure he could bang out a number of unique plates at a reasonable cost.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

A few years ago I wanted some special switch covers. I was amazed when I googled it that ebay popped up with exactly what I was looking for.

I was at a Christmas Bazaar yesterday and ther was a guy with birch bark switch plates and I thought of this thread so I got this guys card. He is from sutton and didn't have an email so here is his phone number 907-745-2188. Hope this helps.

George

We found some hand painted ones with Alaska motifs (moose, bears, caribou, salmon, etc.) in 2010 at the State Fair in Palmer. A lady from Homer was making them, but I don't have the name or anything. I think this http://fireweedgallery.com/index-m.html might be a good lead as they have switch plates listed under a gifts tab, but the switch plate tabs don't work.