Thread: .308 caribou loads

Default .308 caribou loads

Just wondering if anyone has any tried and true loads they have used for caribou? Thanks

Thumbs up 308 Win

165 Sierra GK HPBT
    IMR 4895 @ 43.6
    Fed 210 Match Primer
    FC or WW cases

COL 2.750"
    Alaska

Thumbs up 308

wasche,
    I see the 308 doesn't stir up the excitement the glamour rounds do but it is an excellent medium game cartridge. You'll have to work up loads for your particular rifle but two bullets I'd try-- either will do very well on caribou-- the 150 and 165 gr Nosler Partitions. Try both and use the one that shoots best in your gun. I've had excellent success using Varget or N140 under the 150 & 155 grain bullets and IMR 4064 under the 165 & 168 gr bullets. I use several reloading manuals to double check loads but usually settle on either the Lyman or Nosler data if other data sources seem to agree on reasonable starting loads. The 308 won't generate extreme impact velocity problems with most decent big game bullets so it wouldn't hurt to experiment a little with other bullets like the Sierra GKs, Hornady IBs, etc. One bullet I haven't used in the 308 is the Nosler Accubond but every Accubond bullet I've loaded in different cartridges is extremely accurate not unlike the Sierra Matchking target bullets. Good luck

Thanks to all!