Thread: New to Alaska

Default New to Alaska

Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum and ive never been to Alaska, but i just received orders to move to Eielson AFB right outside Fairbanks in November. I'm an avid mule deer and RME hunter, but i dont know much in the way of moose, caribou, sheep, or bear hunting. Seeing as ill miss hunting season this year i am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about all the different species AK has to offer and where to go for a successful hunt. I dont want anyone to think im a "trophy hunter" any animal i harvest is a trophy in my books, and im proud of each animal i take. that being said im looking for information, any and all, about hunting in AK. especially somewhat close to fairbanks. and im not looking for anyones "honey holes" or an easy pickins. I just dont even know where to start in finding a good place to apply for a tag. thank you in advance to anyone that replies. your information is much appreciated and will be used wisely.

Jeremy Price
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Welcome to the forum and to the Greatest state in the union. Also thank you for the service to our country.
    I was on TDY back in 1957 at Eileson. I truly loved it. In fact I wanted to remain in Alaska. It took me many years but finally in 1975 My wife and 3 young daughters moved up from N.H.
    I've done a lot of hunting and lots of fishing. In fact this past summer I caught the biggest female King Salmon since fishing the Kenai River. We live in Soldotna which is on the Kenai Peninsula. That's about 500 miles South of Fairbanks. We call it the banana belt. Well, I didn't want to rant so much so I'll sign off for now. Good luck.

Welcome. You are gonna love Alaska. The Air Force moved me to Elmendorf in 1995 and I fell in love, i've been here ever since. It is a great place to live and play. Fairbanks is awesome, one of my hunting partners lives up there. All the info you need is readily available here on the AOD. Most of it already posted. Again welcome and good hunting.

Fairbanks is a great place for the sportsman. There is a pretty enthusiastic contingent on the forum here in the Interior and I'm certain you'll get the advice you're looking for.

I'm just down the road a piece and go to Fairbanks every few weeks- drop me a line when you get settled in and I'll be happy to share a coffee with you and give you the lay of the land for Fairbanks and the surrounding area.

The local sporting goods store is the best place to start looking for tags. Unlike some states down south where you're limited to hunting one season or species a year, up here in AK it's pretty much a "let your checkbook be your guide", situation.
    If you have the time and the cash it is possible and legal to hunt deer, moose, caribou, bears of both kinds, sheep, goats, and maybe even a subsistence Muskox in the same year. It's probably not logistically possible depending on ones budget and time constraints, but all except the Ox tag are general issue, over the counter type tags. Infact all but the Brown or Grizzly tag are free with the purchase of a resident hunting license, all you have to do is ask for them. For your first year up here I would suggest a blackbear tag as having the longest season and most opportunity for success. Also for the first year you won't be legal for goats, sheep, or griz without a guide, and most would suggest you take a blackie tag and familiarize yourself with the areas most readily accessible to you for future hunts. Good luck and enjoy your time here.

Drop me a PM when you get into the area. I know a little bit and can get you pointed in the right direction.

Hodgeman,,

Might head to the clear water this week. Interested in coffee??

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Hodgeman,,Might head to the clear water this week. Interested in coffee??

Steve
    Steve,
    Sure thing- I'll PM you the contact info.

shmobag,

As Military you qualify for a military license and tags (page 11 in AK regs) as soon as you get here with orders, the grizzly tag will run you $25. You wilkl find out when you get here, that the closest hunting area to you belongs to Ft. Wainwright and is directly behind Eielson AFB. The Tanana flats are just across the river. My suggestions is stop into the local gunshops and introduce yourself. Nobody will give out their secret "honey" holes- however we sportsman will help with advise and point you in the right direction. You ought to think about grouse and such when you finally get settled, this will get you out in the outdoors so you can start seeing the habitats of our animals. the link below is for our Fish and Game dept. regs ect.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.main

Welcome to the Great State,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    shmobag,As Military you qualify for a military license and tags (page 11 in AK regs) as soon as you get here with orders, the grizzly tag will run you $25. the link below is for our Fish and Game dept. regs ect. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.mainWelcome to the Great State,Chris
    That is correct, but he will still need a guide to hunt a grizzly tag until he becomes a resident, so the cost will go up significantly.

Thanks all for the input. ive got alot to think about. I like the idea of getting a black bear tag to familiarize myself with the area better The Kid, thanks. Hogdeman, thanks ill most defintitely look you up once i get there and get settled in. Im extremely excited to get up to Alaska.

Congrats on orders to Ak.
    Let me welcome you to Alaska my name is Brad and im also stationed here at Eielson and been here since 07 and Ive still got 3 yrs left.
    Im a big time bowhunter and Alaska is a prime place for hunting almost year round. Im the President of the archery club on base and know most of the serious hunters in the area. I also teach Bowhunter Ed."IBEP", Hunter ED and, muzzleloader ed for Alaska fish and game. I love meeting new outdoorsman that come to the area please feel free to contact me if you like.
    Email: poisonivey2007@yahoo.com
    Once again Welcome,
    Brad

Thanks Brad i appreciate it. If you could tell me when your Hunters Ed classes up there sometime after middle of December i would greatly appreciate it. (My wife wants to take Hunters Ed once we get to AK so she can start hunting as well)

Quote Originally Posted by shmobag View Post
    If you could tell me when your Hunters Ed classes up there sometime after middle of December i would greatly appreciate it. (My wife wants to take Hunters Ed once we get to AK so she can start hunting as well)
    You might suggest that your wife look into Becoming an Outdoors Woman- she can take the full run of hunter's ed classes there and a whole lot more. My wife has been a participant and volunteer for a number of years and can't say enough good about the program. Alaska has one of the best BOW programs in the country.