Thread: Carving your own decoys . . .

Smile Carving your own decoys . . .

This is not an advertisement

In the past, I've carved many hunting decoys. If any of you duck hunters are inclined to make your own decoys and want a little encouragement or pointers or advice, I'm willing to share what I know on the subject. The birds I've made are hollow and self-righting with weighted keels.

Attachment 53624
    Drake mallard . . .

Attachment 53625

Drake and hen mallards on the water . . .

your pics aren't showing up. What did you make them out of?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thumbs up Spruce . . .

The decoys I've made in Alaska are from native spruce bought from local sawmills in the area. Good wood for decoys.

Attachment 53632

I would love to see a start to finish carving of a decoy. I have all the needed gear, a shop full of carving tools, gunstock carving type so I am sure I have it covered. I also have a bunch of books, and patterns on carving decoys.

Right now time is the only thing stopping me.

Very nice decoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    This is not an advertisement

In the past, I've carved many hunting decoys. If any of you duck hunters are inclined to make your own decoys and want a little encouragement or pointers or advice, I'm willing to share what I know on the subject. The birds I've made are hollow and self-righting with weighted keels.

Attachment 53624
    Drake mallard . . .

Attachment 53625

Drake and hen mallards on the water . . .
    Will you have any classes on the Kenai Peninsula? I have some blanks you made for me and they have not turned themselves into decoys yet! I think I need some structured assistance or they might sit unfinished ... by the way, how long are spruce blanks usable? Does the wood get too dry?

Smile Structured assistance . . .

Quote Originally Posted by duckoholic View Post
    Will you have any classes on the Kenai Peninsula? I have some blanks you made for me and they have not turned themselves into decoys yet! I think I need some structured assistance or they might sit unfinished ... by the way, how long are spruce blanks usable? Does the wood get too dry?
    Give me a call, and we can set something up for an afternoon, maybe on a weekend? . . bring a blank, and we'll work it up together.

No, the wood cannot get too dry . . as long as it's been kept dry, it's fine.

I'll be calling sometime today - thanks!

I just finished carving a miniature decoy and I'm wondering where I can get some eyes for it?
    Also is there a place in or around Anchorage that I can get my tools sharpened?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fshslyr View Post
    I just finished carving a miniature decoy and I'm wondering where I can get some eyes for it?
    Try area taxidermists . . songbird-sized eyes might work.

Banned

Try QUALITY CARVING SUPPLIES . Look on the net, they are in FL and have the best prices on eyes and other carvning stuff. I think the owner is Richard C. Johnson They have every eye you could ever want.