Thread: Shotgun fitting

Default Shotgun fitting

Does anyone have personal experience with using a gunsmith to adjust a shotgun stock for cast on and drop so that it will properly fit?

Any reccomendations would be appreciated. I am looking for a smith in the Valley area but am willing to go to Fairbanks or Kenai if neccessary. I gotta double gun that I would love to hunt with but it doesn't fit me at all.

Thanks,

Jeff

It will probably need to have a replacement stock made. Have your wallet with you and also time..... I've heard of stocks being "bent", but you run the risk of breakage.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I can make the stock or bend it. But I need a smith with the adjustable stock to get the correct fit and then do some trial shooting to get the proper measurements. Just wondering if there is one in AK?

Don't know of anyone who has an actual "try gun" in Alaska. They are usually found at shooting schools or custom makers. To find and use one will probably entail a trip to the lower 48.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    I can make the stock or bend it. But I need a smith with the adjustable stock to get the correct fit and then do some trial shooting to get the proper measurements. Just wondering if there is one in AK?
    Needcoffee, if you can make or alter your own stock, would it be possible to fit yourself with an adjustable recoil pad like the Morgan? Here is one from Brownells
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8...BLE_RECOIL_PAD

A friend put one on his gun and shoots with it, what they were designed for but he can't make his own stock. Just another idea, good luck

The thing is that you have to know what the dimensions should be. This requires a try gun and someone experienced with fitting a shotgun. Cuz unless you are the average 5'9" dude that the stock shotgun is designed to fit. You probably have picked up bad habits (I know I have) adapting your self to the gun. The coach will help you shoot "properly" so the gun can then be fit "properly." Then you can modify or replace the existing stock.

Most higher end trap guns are fully adjustable but are a bit expensive for something that I don't do competitively. I hunt and want to adjust my bird guns to my frame for better snap shooting.

Outside there are quite a few clinics that have tryguns and coaching/fitting. I was just wondering if there was anyone up here that offered those services.

Thanks for the suggestions though.