Thread: Brooks Range Sheep Transporter

Default Brooks Range Sheep Transporter

We are starting to plan a 2012 sheep hunt. I was hoping to get some feedback on which transporter we should choose. Two of us are looking at going the third to fourth week of August. I'm sure we'll be put somewhere that several other people have already hunted, so I'm hoping to find a transporter that takes things like this into consideration and doesn't flood hunters into every spot at the beginning of the season. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, for those that have been up there during sheep season, is it common to see caribou during your hunt?

Wright air out of fbx did us very well this year. Expensive but they were exactly on time both ways down to the minute. The Helio pilots are top notch. We saw 3 bou on our 8 days but the guys that were in the drainage with us saw about 50 the day before we got there. Wright only dropped us in the drainage we hunted and they make it a point not to stack hunters in there. There are some large drainages that they may drop 2 groups in at different strips but that is reasonable to me. We saw 2 other hunters total. The other hunters flew in with an operator that runs a cub and they were frustrated with the lack of commitment to a pickup time. They wasted at least a day sitting at the strip calling their taxi every two hours and getting weather excuses. Had to be frustrating to them to watch us fly out while that sat by the strip! I think the other taxi was just spread to thin and using weather as an excuse. They would have been happier if they had just been told it would be the next day so they could have hunted instead of sitting there especially since they still had one unpunched tag!!

If you are thinking of the north side of the Brooks Range definitely get in touch with Mike McCrary at www.seventynorth.com. He books early so don't delay. He flys out of Happy Valley during hunting season.

I wasn't hunting, but I went in to the Sheenjek and picked up on the Achilik, 14 day backpacking trip.

Ken with Wright Air was great, and I recommend them.

An operator that uses cubs exclusively this year on the north side of the Brooks had a few airplane mishaps. It happens when you push these planes to their limits. Then a cub that was flying in to fix the one that he put on its nose was damaged as well. It puts a person behind and makes timely pick ups a problem when you ding a plane up.

It does happen, the only complaint I heard from the understanding hunters was that they would like to know if he couldn't get to them that day so they could go hunt rather than sit at the strip. The weather rhetoric was unnecessary and frustrating for them.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    An operator that uses cubs exclusively this year on the north side of the Brooks had a few airplane mishaps. It happens when you push these planes to their limits. Then a cub that was flying in to fix the one that he put on its nose was damaged as well. It puts a person behind and makes timely pick ups a problem when you ding a plane up.
    This must have been the guy that the F&G officer was calling "lawn dart"

I second Birstrike here. Mike at seventynorth handled our fly-out this year and was both professional and cognisent of where other hunters were in the field and where we wanted to hunt. He, and others alike, cannot be responsible for where other charters drop hunters and I have heard of hunters being dropped on top of other hunting parties without the knowledge of the pilot. Does happen! Good luck.

TGJ