Thread: Cracked Neck on Fired Case - Case or Gun Problem?

Default Cracked Neck on Fired Case - Case or Gun Problem?

Anone ever had cracked necks on your fired cases and found out why? I had three of 40 factory (Rem Core-Lokt) that had cracked necks after shooting 2 boxes to break in a new barrel. Is that a problem with the case (hard, brittle brass?), ammo (seemed overloaded, chrono read much higher than published velocity), or with the gun (bad chamber?)?
    009.jpg

Call Remington....I had the same thing on some .375 H&H Core-lokt. They replaced 5 boxes for me.....took about 6 weeks.

I've never had it happen with factory rounds, but it's easy to do with cases that have been fired too many times without annealing. If new, I agree: Call Remington.

I have had that happen with some hornady 22-250 shells. Out of the 100 that I saved 38 or so had cracked necks. I email them and didn't hear anything back from them. That is when I stopped using any of there equipment.

Default Oops, typo

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Trash View Post
    Anone
    I swear that said "Any one" when I first wrote it.

They were new factory loads. Remington is the only one who makes factory loads or cases for this caliber. I have used hundreds of Remington cases without problems before in other guns, even after reloading 3 or 4 times (4 is my personal max for cases). Maybe I will talk to remington. Not sure if I want them to replace them though, that load was not accurate at all in that barrel.

Since it is a new barrel it might be worthwhile to check chamber specs before going to the Remington. A reputable gunsmith would have test fired the gun before he sent it back to you which is why I jumped to the Remington ammo first. In my case the gun was a 30 year old Sako carbine with many rounds thru it with no problems so I knew it was the ammo not the gun.

It will be interesting how this turns out...my bet is on the ammo.

Did you measure the brass after firing to find out if expanded to much? Also the photo looks like it shows expansion lines along the shoulder and neck. You may need to have a chamber cast done to compare with the correct specs for that caliber. You might have to slug the barrel also to double check bore diameter - having to conscrict a bullet down to size increases pressure and felt recoil. I have this twice with custom barrels- once was supposed to be a 30 cal barrel- but bore diameter was .298 not .308... ammo did fire but recoil was "noticeable". Sometimes even a good gunsmith trusts the barrelmaker and does not verify everything. Same thing could happen to a reamer, or could be a very fresh sharp reamer cutting to big a chamber.

Good luck on the rifle- sounds like you have some fun work ahead

Chris

What caliber is that puppy anyway VT? For new ammo that case looks pretty tarnished.... That ring-groove right at the end looks almost like it has marks from the rifleing???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'm going to vote with improperly annealed brass, but that doesn't mean that your chamber might have an overly loose neck. Brass should not crack on a first firing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    What caliber is that puppy anyway VT? For new ammo that case looks pretty tarnished.... That ring-groove right at the end looks almost like it has marks from the rifleing???
    It's a 6.5 Remington Mag barrel for my T/C Encore made by Match Grade Machine. Those couple boxes of ammo did look like they had been sitting on the shelf for a while, were a little tarnished from the start. Are you looking at the crimp mark? All Core-loks (and most factory ammo have crimp marks like that.

Best I know MGM does good work...I'd be surprised if it were the chamber.

I have a Bulberry 6.5-06 AI for an Encore...great caliber and the 6.5 Rem Mag should shoot right along with it.

Long live the "6.5"!!!

Those couple boxes of ammo did look like they had been sitting on the shelf for a while, were a little tarnished from the start.
    I wonder how old they really are. I don't do drugs, but age could be having the same effect on my memory. I seem to recall Remington doing an ammo recall about 15 years ago, and thinner still, 6.5 mag stirs along with the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Trash View Post
    It's a 6.5 Remington Mag barrel for my T/C Encore made by Match Grade Machine. Those couple boxes of ammo did look like they had been sitting on the shelf for a while, were a little tarnished from the start. Are you looking at the crimp mark? All Core-loks (and most factory ammo have crimp marks like that.

Yep, I reckon that would explain that line - thx for the reminder. It just seemed excessive for a once fired case....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....