Thread: Moose Tongue

Default Moose Tongue

What is a good fast method for removing a moose tongue that salvages all of the meat?
    What is your favorite recipe for moose tongue?

You have to cut back between the lips as far as you can go while the jaws are not locked, then cut up underneath, between the jawbone, to cut the root of the tongue and pull it out. Generally you have to do some cutting from inside the mouth too. Try to do this before rigor mortise kicks in. It is never that easy to pry open a moose's mouth.
    We have always cut it up in chunks for soup. Very good! But I have a buddy who pressure cooks it until it is so tender that you can stick a fork through it and that is very tasty as well. I have had it smoked too.

We like to pressure cook it in a seasoned broth then thinly slice it and use it as sandwich meat. Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysfishn View Post
    We like to pressure cook it in a seasoned broth then thinly slice it and use it as sandwich meat. Very good!
    My mom used to do it like this when she was at camp with us. I think she just boiled it though. YUM!

Boil for 30 minutes, then let simmer for a few hours. Peal off the outside layer (sometimes already falls off in boil). Then slice. Sandwiches are awesome. I'm going to try the pressure cooker.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Favorite recipe? Ask the bears, I'm sure they will be able to answer that! Just kidding, usually bring it out for friends.

Had moose tongue stew for the first time this fall....It was EXCELLENT!!!!!

The nose is great as well.