Thread: Tide pool denizens

Post Tide pool denizens

My teenage son and I once spent a couple of hours just wading and peering into a tide pool near Sitka. On the surface, it didn't look very interesting...just a nice place to park the kayaks.

But when we started wading around, the activity fascinated us.

I think the little crabs were the most interesting. There were quite literally millions of them. They were crawling around all over the shallow waters. The sea floor was carpeted with a seething mass of them.

One of the intriguing aspects was how they inspected one another. I had the sense that if one found a weak specimen, it would disappear quickly into the mouths of other crabs. To test this theory, I sacrificed one of the crabs by breaking its shell and dropping it among its fellows. As I suspected, the hapless crab was mobbed and quickly devoured.

The tide pool was full of other life...but it was the crabs they I still remember.

David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 03-21-2007 at 20:31.
    David M Johnson
    Anchorage, Alaska
    http://awildolivebranch.blogspot.com

Default Sounds fascinating!

David-
    I've seen photos of similar, but I can't imagine that still shots would do the real-life image justice. Millions of little moving isms must make you feel like they are still and you are moving! Kinda like stepping off a boat after being out to sea for a week?!?!
    Joshua

I like the dime sized starfish best myself, filled a glass jar with probably twenty that size last year and the kids loved watching them crawl around. The eel fish are cool too. The kids like Hermit crabs a lot. The potato bug looking chitons though are a little prehistoric for my taste.

It is always fun to flip rocks in tide pools and see what moves.

It is not something that I am proud of, but this story fits in this thread.

When I was in the Marines, I was stationed on a tiny island in the Indian Ocean. Crabs were everywhere. Something that we used to do was catch a few hermit crabs that were close to the same size, and put them into a cut off milk jug. It created an arena for them. Anyway, we pulled them all out of thier shells, then placed them all into the "arena" with only one shell. Back then it seemed fun to watch them fight over that one shell. They would fight pretty hard for it and usually all but the winner would die. Sometimes they all died.

Tide pools are definatly neat ares and a great way to introduce kids to sealife. By the way most chitons are not only edible but great tasting, poor mans abaloni(SP?)

No offense, but that is a rather revolting thought, but good to know! Thanks.

How do you prepare them?

Pry them of the rock cut them out of there shells, cut out any dark meat(the dark stuff is there inards) and cook the white meat in a little butter and garlic or any other way you'd cook clams. Or sashimi stlye raw with a little soy sauce is good to.

Default Tide Pool Fun

On one of my first adventures into the Prince Williams Sound in the 70's we came upon a tide pool. Same thing full of life, I happen to get lucky enough to find a small octopus. I had the bright idea of picking it up. What a strange and wonderful animal, I was looking at it and it was looking back all 8 legs attached to my arm. It's when I thought about putting him back that I figured out there was a problem. I could pull 1 leg off with 7 to go, my buddy came over, so now I had 3 legs off with 4 still attached. After trying a couple things and near laughing our selfs to death, I just put my arm back in the water and off he went. Stopping to turn and see what we where going to do.
    Now thats fun stuff.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by racinghoss View Post
    ....When I was in the Marines, I was stationed on a tiny island in the Indian Ocean......
    Diego Garcia?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    ......abaloni(SP?)
    Abalone.

I'm a spelling nazi.............

Wink

That's OK Mark I just got the spell checker to work finally. So the spelling should improve dramatically. I hate the fact that the written word leaves me sounding really dumb. But I'm in good company. Einstein was a fellow Dyslexic as was president Ford.

Smile

I love tide pools and spend as much time when possible exploring them. I even um dropped my camera in one last summer while in Kodiak as I just had to get this shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Diego Garcia?
    Wow, almost two years late; but yeah, Diego Garcia. LOL.

Slap me for being a gravedigger.