Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hayflats Friday (Cottonwood version)

Default Hayflats Friday (Cottonwood version)

How did everybody who hunted the flats like that tide? It sucked for us hunting cottonwood. My quad was floating for a while, and trying to not swamp your quad while riding through the big holes out there in the dark was not fun. I had a knot in my stomach the whole way out. But we were able to punch through and make it out to my duck spot.

It took us so long to get out there we only had 23 min to set up before shooting time, so I hussled up and got all the 3 dozen decoys out in a record 17 minutes. My buddy got the mojos assembled and set up by the time I finished that. By the time we got the spread ready we had 2 minutes. Thats when the birds started pouring in. Three flocks, one I was sure were mallards, the second were teal, and the third I think were mallards or pintails. The problem was, they rocketed through the decoys and took off before shooting time. Then shooting time came, and nothing. I was thinking this was going to be another slow day. But about 15 min later a single came in, then it became light enough to see around us, and there were lots of birds moving. Mostly flocks of about 15. We had a few come in, and the usual singles and doubles. At one point during the hunt I noticed a cupped bird out of the corner of my eye, and looked up to see about 50 mallards cupped and coming in. I shot all three times and missed. I was pretty embarassed about that. My buddy kept having groups of 3 or 4 widgeon come in about 15 feet from him. He had to let them get out a ways before he could shoot. The shooting stayed pretty good today until about 11, then it slowed down considerably. The final count was 6 mallards 1 pintail and 1 GWT for me, and 3 widgeon, 2 mallards, and and a GWT for my buddy.

I think the northern birds are starting to come in now. It's only going to get better and better.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

oh for the love of god SSSSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! the number of people just trippled this weekend lol

This would have been a busy weekend anyways, the weekend after moose season is always crazy
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    ... the weekend after moose season is always crazy
    Good day to go out Maud road and watch the guys who didn't know the swamp is a little low on water. Jets will pump mud right?

.yep, the internet scouters will,be out. I just love internet reports, good thing duck lake has been hunted out and birds aren't sticking around, they must all be at cottonwood creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    oh for the love of god SSSSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! the number of people just trippled this weekend lol

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Good day to go out Maud road and watch the guys who didn't know the swamp is a little low on water. Jets will pump mud right?
    yea thats what a mud motor is. The shoot a cool rooster tail outta the back of the jet!!!
    hunted duck lake today. super slow, I think they 34' tide gave them to many other options

I did ok this morning...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Hunted out? They have not even arrived

Quote Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
    Hunted out? They have not even arrived
    Brilliant guy
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

You guys just need to remain dedicated...every year it is like this on the last week of Sept going into the first week of October..you are just now starting to cool off. The birds will be there in about 8-10 days...usually the second week in October through the middle of November is the best....shoot straight and enjoy the days on the marsh....soon you will be pushed to the rivers or fireplaces for some..only the serious guys will be pushing through ice and still chasing them... I wait to see who hangs in there to the bitter end...

There ought to be a contest on who kills the last greenhead in the matsu area..time stamped photo or something..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Well put DH!
    We went this weekend and it was defiantly the end of September lull. I'm gonna have to miss next weekend, but i'm sure they will have arrived in two weeks.
    We saw about a hundred teal on Sat. Big flocks grouped up. Fun to see but hard to seak on.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Well put DH!
    We went this weekend and it was defiantly the end of September lull. I'm gonna have to miss next weekend, but i'm sure they will have arrived in two weeks.
    We saw about a hundred teal on Sat. Big flocks grouped up. Fun to see but hard to seak on.
    \

your bustin the teal roosts and safe spots!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you crazy you trying to shoot them out faster then they already leave! this calls for a good ol duck hunter fencing match!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Hahaha who thinks of these emotocons? They must have everything.

dude they are the only way to go

Banned

What are some good spots after freeze up on the lakes?

Quote Originally Posted by ownerstate View Post

rivers and creeksBud

I thought you were the expert here not asking for secrets...........
    Wasilla

yesterday was a bluebird day and we managed to kill 8......bluebills, mallards, hollywoods, pintail, and long beaked mallards

I have never myself hit the rivers and creeks after freeze up, but this year I'm gonna try some of creeks up north. Willow Creek and the Little Sue maybe?

Surprised today. I hunt the Knik side, on Monday one other boat joined me about 8 am on dl. On Tuesday I was alone until leaving about 11 am, and one other boat arrived. Today I drove by on my way to the big city, there must have been 6-8 vehicles and some with boats, out today. Thanks guys for giving it a rest Mon and Tue. Not much shooting at all those 2 days out there. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    How did everybody who hunted the flats like that tide? It sucked for us hunting cottonwood. My quad was floating for a while, and trying to not swamp your quad while riding through the big holes out there in the dark was not fun. I had a knot in my stomach the whole way out. But we were able to punch through and make it out to my duck spot.

How big of a tide does it take to start flooding into those trails? And how long after it goes out do the holes in the trail stay deep enough to be a problem? I am thinking of taking my 6wheeler and 6 yr old son out this weekend but don't want too many logistics with him along.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast