Thread: Best 100 Bucks I Spent lately!!!!

Default Best 100 Bucks I Spent lately!!!!

Just got the Alaska Plat map chip from huntingGPSmaps, WOW,, what a great piece of equipment. Loaded the chip in my Garmin Oregon and powered it up. Shows the owners name and status of all land in Alaska, topo as well, even shows trails. An awesome item to show you at a glance if you are on private or public land and who to contact.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wow, where did you get it and what do I need to display it? I'm pretty behind the curve on new gadgets.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Wow, where did you get it and what do I need to display it? I'm pretty behind the curve on new gadgets.
    Got it here, this is the GPS list. Click on Alaska for the map you want.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/gps-ma...atibility.html

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve,

Few questions...

Their site shows GMU layouts...can you provide some feedback on that once you've played with it a bit?

Quality of maps compared to Topo100k?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I hope they have better info then say the Mat-Su borough because I was down there looking for who owned what near a certain place and the couldn't tell me squat. Said they had to do a three month search, send a letter to the current owner to show old permits for roads and such. Even on the high power lines sections. With the borough sending out and collecting taxes, you would think they knew that info.................Go figure!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Steve,

Few questions...

Their site shows GMU layouts...can you provide some feedback on that once you've played with it a bit?

Quality of maps compared to Topo100k?
    The topo quality is as good as TOPO or better. For GMU info all you do is touch where you want and the info window list the GMU.

Even shows mine claims, even if the data is only good as the tax info, still a great tool. Shows BLM, Native, Private ect...

Steve
    Founding Member

Have they proclaimed any sort of update frequency? Ownership changes don't interest me as much as being able to differentiate private, public and tribal lands.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If the borough can't tell who owns what, hell can this app? Just asking!!!!