Thread: New forum

Thumbs up New forum

The Alaska Wildlife forum is to provide a place for general discussions of Alaska's wild animals: fish, birds, mammals, toads, snakes and...um...well, I guess we could talk about insects and spiders if anyone had an interest. Actually, the list is quite a bit longer, but you get the idea.

I'll bet you didn't know we had frogs and toads in Alaska. I haven't seen one in years...but they are around. There are even garter snakes in SE Alaska. I haven't seen any, however.

Welcome!

David

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Can anybody confirm this? I had a friendly argument with a friend about this a few years back, and I was fully convinced that her childhood stories of catching snakes in Sitka were delusions. Hmmm... I knew about the wood frogs that are able to survive freezing solid (used to catch those down by Eagle River), but haven't ever read first-hand confirmation of the snakes. Anyone from SE with info on this?

-Brian

Default seen frogs though

I know for a fact we have frogs; I was looking at moose tracks and saw a little frog in one of the tracks and I thought ...WOW I didn't think we had any up here, just never thought about it till I seen one.

Default Only

I have only seen frogs in Nulato and Fairbanks. Why were they there where the winters are harshest I don't know. But out on the China River and the bogs around North Pole I have seen them.

Now as far as south central like around Valdez and the islands of PWSI have never seen one.

Never seen or heard of anyone seening a snake in Alaska though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Talking Snakes

I can confirm there are snakes in SE, he works at one of the car dealerships!

kingfisherktn

Theres lots of frogs down by the pond near my house here in Anchorage.There small ,about one and half inches long.

We see frogs out here in Bristol Bay pretty often. Haven't seen any snakes yet but got plenty of snakebite medicine just in case ;)

Mark

When my son was small he would catch frogs every year. We tried to keep a couple (different times) in an aquarium, and we kept one alive for a few years. He ate small crickets (purchased), mealworms, mosquitos, flies, local grasshoppers, carpenter ants, and just about everything else my son would catch and put in there for him.

Talking Frogs--yes, Toads?

We've caught frogs down near Sourdough Creek on the Rich. I remember thinking that those critters were living among the frostheaves, poor place for an amphibian--well maybe an argo...:)
    The Frogs don't get very big, the growing season is just too short.
    Can anybody confirm an Alaskan toad sighting?

Smile Snakes

I don't know what their name is, but I have heard of snakes in Southeast before.
    I believe they are aquatic.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I have read that there are garter snakes in the Juneau area but I can't confirm that.

Does anyone know if there are any other types of frogs that are larger than 1 1/2 inches long? I remember as a kid catching frogs with my brother and sister at our friends house that were much larger than that in Big Lake. On the link by the webmaster, it says "Alaska has 2 species of frogs..." then lists 3 different kinds....go figure. Could this larger frog have been the western toad?

Mark

I've only seen wood frogs here in Southcentral.

Another thing that I noticed:

Prince of Wales Island had those gigantic slugs. I saw them there in a bright yellow color as well as "camo" (green with black spots). They were huge with a tough leathery skin. They looked like they could stretch out to nearly 4".

I've never seen the like here in Southcentral, including the coast from Resurrection Bay east to Cordova.

I've heard they're common in Washington and Oregon, though.

Apparently we have 8 anphibians and reptiles here, haven't heard of any snakes though, I suppose it could happen
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

David thanks a lot for putting up this forum!
    Just so all of you know this forum was my idea...