Thread: Opinions sought

Default Opinions sought

I picked up a Pre-64 Mod. 70, .243 fwt with a Leupold 2.5-8 VXIII for 400.00. Now it was not cared well for as far as finish so it has no collectors value. I am wanting to have it barreled in a medium caliber and restocked.<BR>I am thinking 9.3x62, 375 hawk/scovill, 375 H&amp;H or just go 30-06. I know the H&amp;H will take more work, so what is the feeling on the other two? It will be brought up north a few times and to Africa once.&nbsp;<BR><BR>Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by EricRichards View Post
    I picked up a Pre-64 Mod. 70, .243 fwt with a Leupold 2.5-8 VXIII for 400.00. Now it was not cared well for as far as finish so it has no collectors value. I am wanting to have it barreled in a medium caliber and restocked.<BR>I am thinking 9.3x62, 375 hawk/scovill, 375 H&amp;H or just go 30-06. I know the H&amp;H will take more work, so what is the feeling on the other two? It will be brought up north a few times and to Africa once.&nbsp;<BR><BR>Thanks in advance
    I'm not entirely sure about action lengths of older Winchester rifles but every cartridge you mentioned might not be possible it this is a short action. The standard-length action would provide the possibility of any of those cartridges you mentioned but might be difficult or not possible with the 375 H&H. I could be wrong though. If it is in fact a short action, about the toughest cartridge you could re-barrel to is a 358 winchester. You could also have the existing barrel re-bored to 358 win. Here's the guy to do it:
    http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

I'm with Mainer. In fact for the money you will spend on an iffy why not just sell the rifle and put the money towards a CZ or similar in 375 H&H.

The pre64' model 70 actions are all the same basic length. The short action cartridges ie. 243, 308, 358, had a block in the mag box and the bolt stop may have been longer to limit bolt travel. To rebarrel that rifle to any of the above cartridges aside from the 375 H&H should be fairly straightforward. You will need to either knock the block out of the mag or procure a Std length one. The boltstop and ejector may need to be replaced, but likely they could be cut back to work with the longer cases.

The conversion to 375 H&H will be much more involved and IMO not worth the trouble. For the dollars you would sink into having the action opened up and finding the magazine, follower, boltstop, and ejector. You could sell the action to a gunmaker and buy a beater in 300 or 375 to use for a long magnum.

As far as the calibers you mentioned I like the 9.3 the best. A good friend just returned from Africa a little while ago, when he asked his PH about the 9.3x62 his response was short and to the point. "Simply devastating" was all he said. That being said you might look at the 35 Whelen as well. It is very close to the 9.3 performance wise and you have access to a broader range of reloading components here in the US.

I hear good things about the Hawk cartridges, though I've never used them. Fred Zeglin, their creator, has just published a new book dealing with them. You may want to pick up a copy and peruse it before making your decision. Do a search for 4-D reamer rentals, this is Freds company and you can buy the book there.

For a standard length cartridge I really think the 338-06 has a lot going for it... you're basically going to just use the thing as a donor action anyway once you replace the barrel, stock, mag box, etc.

Without changing a lot of the guts you can go to .338 Federal...pretty interesting round too.

Best to listen to The Kid about modifying the action. I'm not much on SA cartridges in LA rifles, but opening up the magazine for '06 cases would be a breeze and well worth the effort. Since you have the action and a reasonable scope I'd drop a little $ on a quality barrel and a McMillan stock and call it good. I've several good buddies that love the 9.3X62 and it is seeing a lot more interest these days than it was just a few years ago. However, the real world difference in the 9.3X62 and the 35 Whelen would not make a thimblefuls difference in the Pacific Ocean and the Whelen is much more friendly to the reloader...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The 9.3 is about as good as it gets IMO. It's like a 375 H&H with 5 in the mag. With less neck and more shoulder than a 35 Whelen(increased powder capacity), less case taper than a 35 Whelen, faster rate of rifling twist, and bullets generally 30-50 grains heavier than Whelen, it does have a slight advantage, all from the same sized gun. I have two factory loads, 286 grain custom nosler (2,450fps) and 250 grain accubond (2,550fps). The recoil is very mild. I can shoot a hundred rounds easily in one target session with no softness in the shoulder. When FamilyMan and I were processing our caribou......we both admired how the bullet left a clean hole through the heart of my caribou where it knicked that backside of the heart.......no meat damage and I never felt undergunned with the big grizzly that hangs around our hunting spot.

If it is an opinion then I offer mine, 336/06 if that works out for you on the action. It should for the reasons already stated and also as the Kid pointed out the 35 whelen would be my close second. I think you could get a 375 ouch and ouch rather easy and not hurt your pocketbook later if you must. But you must also consider the availability of ammo. This is a fact on hunts that take you off the grid.

I think the 9.3s are pretty neat and they're undergoing something of a revival currently.

For the dedicated handloader the .370 Sako aka 9.3x66 Sako will fit in a standard length action and gives up nothing to the .375...bit more powerful than the 9.3x62 but its got no flies on it reputation either. Lots of possibilities with a LA M70 and a Leupold scope.

The Kid has it pretty well ironed out for you.

You seem to be leaning toward the heavy bullet calibers so the 9.3s, 35 Whelen and 338/06 would all be good choices but for myself if going after the big bears or such, I'd lean toward the 9.3x62.....

You will probably have to get a different cartridge follower no matter which cartridge you choose.

Well I ruled out the 375 Ruger as to case diameter. The action is a long action, the only one they produced. Winchester opened it up for the H&H so it can be done safely, plus it has that "old school" charm, but yes costly. The 9.62 has caught my interest as has the Hawk/scovill which I like for the 30-06 brass. **** these choices...lol.

Build a 404 jeffries on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The 9.3 is about as good as it gets IMO. It's like a 375 H&H with 5 in the mag. With less neck and more shoulder than a 35 Whelen(increased powder capacity), less case taper than a 35 Whelen, faster rate of rifling twist, and bullets generally 30-50 grains heavier than Whelen, it does have a slight advantage, all from the same sized gun. I have two factory loads, 286 grain custom nosler (2,450fps) and 250 grain accubond (2,550fps). The recoil is very mild. I can shoot a hundred rounds easily in one target session with no softness in the shoulder. When FamilyMan and I were processing our caribou......we both admired how the bullet left a clean hole through the heart of my caribou where it knicked that backside of the heart.......no meat damage and I never felt undergunned with the big grizzly that hangs around our hunting spot.
    No flies on the 9.3X62 mainer, but the external ballistics between it and the Whelen are spot on. The 9.3 has a bit more capacity, but this doesn't create any disparity in their velocities. A Whelen pushes a 250 at 2550+ fps or 300-310 at 2400+ fps with ease, though the new 200 TTSX at 2800 fps may be a better choice as a one bullet for all occasions load. I've not shot the 310 Woodleigh in my Whelen (1:16 twist) but if I were to rebarrel a 1:12 would surely take care of the heavier slug. The truth is that a 225 TSX is more than sufficient for any animal such a rifle is suitable to harvest--heavier bullets in the Whelen offer no advantage in terminal performance. Brass is readily available for the Whelen (factory and necked up '06) and there are bullets from mice (i.e 158 grain .357 JHP) to moose (200 grain TTSX worked perfectly this fall on my moose just as it did on an 8'10" brownie and a freezer 'bou on the same trip) that come from most makers in a variety of price ranges. They are slightly different, but in reality their performance is as close as the two proverbial peas in a pod...

Congrats on the 'bou with your 9.3.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    The Kid has it pretty well ironed out for you.

You seem to be leaning toward the heavy bullet calibers so the 9.3s, 35 Whelen and 338/06 would all be good choices but for myself if going after the big bears or such, I'd lean toward the 9.3x62.....

You will probably have to get a different cartridge follower no matter which cartridge you choose.
    +1 on all of this. 9.3x62 does seem to be gaining popularity and it certainly is common in Europe and Africa. If I had a banged up pre-64 for rebarrelling, it would be first on my list since factory ammo can be had.