Thread: When is it no longer edible?

Talking When is it no longer edible?

Ok ay I'm about to sound really stupid I'm sure, but here it goes anyways.

I live in washington, I go to 2 main rives, this is my first season I have gone salmon fishin, we fish in the green river, kings, silvers, and pinks are running, caught my first salmon ever today, it was a king (about 20 lbs) biggest fish we (my husband or I) have ever caught and we do plenty of fishing, anyways, it was green no scales, would it have been good enough to eat? We kept it and smoked it, but just curious, because no kings in our river are even close to chrome, oh and it was a buck... Thanks for all your help!

Salmon usually turn red when spawning but why was your green? Something does not sound right!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Did you take some pics?I would like to see a green looking king.All the spawned stages I've seen are reddish to a small male being dark color but never green.

It's uncommon for WA kings to turn red, while virtually all AK kings turn red.

WA kings are very "earthy" and turn all shades of green, olive, gold, bronze, brown, and black. Sometimes they get hints of red in the flanks, and even rarer that the entire fish turns red like your classic AK fire engine.

If you have to ask if it's too far gone, it probably is.

Any salmon that "has no scales" is beyond too far gone. The scales haven't just set, they're reabsorbing into the skin as the fish tries to re-claim whatever protein reserves it can muster in its final days. Thick leathery skin and thick ropey slime are other signs of a fish to ripe to keep. At that point it's just a free-swimming carcass with either eggs or milt.... totally unfit for the table.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Being unfit to eat is subjective; my wife is native and spawned out salmon are considered somewhat of a delicacy to her culture.

That said, you won't find me eating it that way.....

It's edible until it dies. Whether or not you like it in it's various stages is another question entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    It's uncommon for WA kings to turn red, while virtually all AK kings turn red.

WA kings are very "earthy" and turn all shades of green, olive, gold, bronze, brown, and black. Sometimes they get hints of red in the flanks, and even rarer that the entire fish turns red like your classic AK fire engine.

If you have to ask if it's too far gone, it probably is.

Any salmon that "has no scales" is beyond too far gone. The scales haven't just set, they're reabsorbing into the skin as the fish tries to re-claim whatever protein reserves it can muster in its final days. Thick leathery skin and thick ropey slime are other signs of a fish to ripe to keep. At that point it's just a free-swimming carcass with either eggs or milt.... totally unfit for the table.
    For some odd reason the jack kings in the Little Su look like Wa kings. They don't turn red like the bigguns. They'll be dropping milt and be chromish green

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

LIke Coho Slayer said, there are some that target fish after the spawn. They bake it or fellet and dry. Just like anything else some like it and some don't. Alaskan Native "Smoked Fish" or "Dry Fish", some don't like the taste and some (me) love it. Don't know how it will smoke up but I would love to sample it. Just saying....

George

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    For some odd reason the jack kings in the Little Su look like Wa kings. They don't turn red like the bigguns. They'll be dropping milt and be chromish green
    The reason jack kings don't turn red is due to the lack of the red carotenoid, astaxanthin. Since jacks spend so little time in the salt, they don't have the cumulative deposits as a older 2,3,4,5, salt king.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Here's a pretty good article on flesh color and geographic differences;

http://noaa.academia.edu/JeffHard/Pa..._North_America

Attached Images Attached Images

Ignore the attached thumbnails on my previous post, just follow the link.

Hey fishgod, good information.... you get a rep for that.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I suppose one could eat a spawned out salmon if one chose to or had to due to their location. I could drink Budweiser, but why? Life is pretty short, eh?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I could drink Budweiser, but why? Life is pretty short, eh?
    Ha! That, sir, is an apt comparison. Life is far too short to drink cheap beer. (On that note, perhaps you need to come out my direction sometime soon to sample the wares at the Eagle River Alehouse? There's some pretty interesting stuff worthy of introducing to your palate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Ha! That, sir, is an apt comparison. Life is far too short to drink cheap beer. (On that note, perhaps you need to come out my direction sometime soon to sample the wares at the Eagle River Alehouse? There's some pretty interesting stuff worthy of introducing to your palate.)
    I ate/drank there two days ago for the first time. Good pizza and a plethora of beer. I'll be going back.

Sounds like a plan.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Sounds like a plan.
    I guess its a teacher thing.Us guys will be drinking budweiser I guess

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

If you can fillet it with a spoon I think they are past their prime......