Thread: Kenai flats report

Default Kenai flats report

I had been considering a duck hunt on the Kenai flats for a while this fall.
    I usually hunt the Kasilof river area but I know they do well on the Kenai flats at times.
    I got some info from a forum member( thanks Sameyer) about the locations of some of the blinds out there and what to expect once I got there.
    I had wanted to do a "real" duck hunt out there with decoys and by practicing my duck calling. Not jump shooting.
    Ended up with 3 green wing teal and a pintail.
    Should have had another pintail or 2 as there were 8-10 in the flock but my pump hung up and didn't cycle properly . Might have been my cold fingers or the blindside shells I was trying out for the first time.
    Those pintail committed and were only 20 yards or so away.
    Loads of fun.
    Had some other flocks of ducks flying around well out of range. My calling obviously wasn't good enough to make them committ. I got some to turn but they eventually turned away again.
    While it isn't red hot out there there are a few ducks around.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Unfortunately there are very few "new" birds around and the locals are well schooled now. Any day now new birds should arrive. In the meantime try sitting in likely spots (blinds) without decoys, seems to work better during this flat time.

Thank-you for the help.
    I am not going to complain though as I was only out a couple of hours due mainly to the pouring rain and 39* temps.
    Tried again on Sunday with a buddy and his son but the pouring rain and his boys shivering made us leave early again with just a couple of green wing real to show for it.
    All in all it was fun though. I will try again in a couple of weeks when I am off the slope again.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"