Thread: pws bear status in mid november

Default pws bear status in mid november

i have a deer trip planned to the port chalmers cabin (northwest side of island) on montague in mid novermber. we are all trying to decide what caliber guns to bring. we want to bring smaller caliber rifles but arent sure about the amount of bears we may encounter. i was just wondering if anyone had insight to when the bears start to den up? should we just bring the smaller caliber rifles with a bear backup pistol? or should we all go with our larger caliber rifles that could be used as dual purpose deer and bear defense (if needed)? any help would be appreciated.

Well went over there a few years ago in mid to end of Oct with a 7mm, great deer gun but sure looked small when I saw a big ass bear. Thats a great cabin nice and semi protected out on the spit. Not that the bears bothered us nor was I ever wishing for bigger gun to have to use. Den well they have done made a den and still wonder around in case they find food so not till heavy snow will they be gone. Not that they don't get up to snoop around ever.
    Good hunt wish I could do it again sometime!

PPR

You shouldn't see many black bear according to ADFG website. A grizz is possible and my understanding is yes they do still roam for that last meal in November.

I would carry the bigger caliber. Why chance it? Your not saving much on weight using a smaller caliber. If you are worried about meat waste on the deer, use FMJ rounds. I have shot several small game animals with large caliber weapons and if using the right amo, and you are any bit of a marksman, your waste is very little if any. Think about Africa. You think many of those hunters pack small caliber weeapons when hunting small game. Nope, you are hard prerssed to see anything smaller than .338 over there. Just my opinion here!

Default Small rifle w/ big pistol

If it were me going I would take my .243 w/ me and have my .44 on my chest w/ 305 grain rounds ready. But thats just me.
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

I wanted to take a .243 but don't have a pistol. So I might take the 7mm. Or I might just buy me a pistol

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.270419,-148.477884

I shoot deer with a 7mm with not much waste. Like TGJ said its all about the round. A buddy of mine took a black bear then 2 days later shot a brown bear with a 7mm in Cordova this spring. I go back to MN to deer hunt in the fall every year and bring my 7mm. It's a versatile round for sure. Me personally, you can never have too many guns. Bring a pistol as well.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Default Just gave yourself a reason

Well you just gave yourself a reason to buy another gun! That should be enough. I like my S&W .44 629... Though I heard the lightweight 329 is good too

Quote Originally Posted by PPR View Post
    I wanted to take a .243 but don't have a pistol. So I might take the 7mm. Or I might just buy me a pistol

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.270419,-148.477884
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK