Thread: 308 W

Default 308 W

where can i find 190 or 200 gr. bullets in 308? looking for premium hunting bullets. everything seems to top out at 180gr.

You're likely going to have to load your own. Also I'd say on my experience handloading the .308, you really shouldn't go past 180 grs, as you simply don't have enough case capacity to get decent velocities.

A premium 180 gr in the .308 is going to give you all the killing the .308 offers, and that's plenty for all AK game, given proper shot placement.

Default 308 W

If you are talking about the actual bullet for reloading, Swift makes a nice A-Frame in 180 and 200 gr. Safari grade bullet.

Looks like Barnes has a triple shock

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

This is going back a little but it appears this topic might have been touched in the past on this forum. Recommended reading: Talks about 180, 190 and 200 grain bullets for 308.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?p=79692

If your are actually talking about off the shelf factory ammo to purchase, 180 gr is the largest you can get as far as I know.

KatzMO

Default Heavy weight .308's...

I'm pretty sure it's a handloading situation, as Paul and KatzMo have said. Also I tend to agree with Paul about the case capacity more suitable for 150-180 grainers. One thing I have found though is if you can be happy with round nose, the bullet will be shorter, will fit better and give better performance.

A 308 is typically short throated and with the short magazine it is limited on bullet weights. The crimp groove on most of the 200 grain round nose will be seated into the case on the 308 but a good load can be made and 2400 fps is about the limit for velocity. A good bullet to try is the Hornady or Sierra 200 grain round nose. At the velocity of this load a premium bullet is not needed. If you want a good premium bullet though, the 200 grain protected point (PP) Kodiak bullet is about the only one that will fit the case.

Kodiak Bullets
    Alaska Bullet Works
    Juneau, Alaska 99801
    907-789-3834
    Give them a call they will ship to you.

This is the biggest advantage of the 30-06 over the 308, If I could be allowed to get another plug in on the 308 vs 30-06.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default thanks

for the info everybody.

Thumbs up 168 Barnes TSX

Try a good Bullet like the Barnes 165 or 168 TSX and you will outperform the 200 gr conventional or Partition bullets.....plus good trajectory.
    Alaska