Thread: Thoughts on this package

Default Thoughts on this package

I'm looking at buying another boat. It's a alweld 1652 flat bottom with a 60hp honda jet/evinrude 60hp jet, center console. I wanting too go in narrower area than my XS. Plus I would rather not ruin a 40,000.00 boat compared to a 5500.00 boat. Now i'm still going to run my XS alot just some slough's I would rather run a smaller boat. I would even like too run the Ivishak in this smaller boat, therefore i want to run shallow. My thought is two people and camping gear for 10days and a moose. The combinations I'm thinking about are as follow's: ALL Flat bottoms with tunnel

1. 1652 with a 60hp

2. 1652 with a 90hp with PODS or without

3. 1656 with a 60hp

4. 1656 with 90hp
    5. any better combination out there

I'm confused, does it come w/ a Honda and an Evinrude? Is the 'rude and E-Tech?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

My last jet boat was nearly identical to what you are considering (55hp prop rating) 1652 jon boat. It did great for two guys and a 10 day hunt provided no one brought the "kitchen sink", however, it will not get a 10 day camp, 2 people AND a moose out. The moose is a trip in it's self, then camp and bodies another trip.

PODS would be a nice benefit and I think 90hp is overkill only due to weight, by the time you could take advantage of the HP you will sink the boat when loading it.

I could haul 1000lbs, leaving very little freeboard. I think it was a great set up .

Find a yamaha 90 2 stroke they are light @260. Got one on a 1660 mvjt seaark and it rips

Default Surface drive

What about same boat except use 45 hp mud buddy instead of jet. Whattya think?

Quote Originally Posted by nobaddaysinak View Post
    Find a yamaha 90 2 stroke they are light @260. Got one on a 1660 mvjt seaark and it rips
    A heavier more powerful motor does not increase the rated carrying capacity of a boat, and puts the stern deeper in the water. Being a 2 stroke 90 requires a greater fuel load to reach the same distance. I never wanted for more power on my set up, in fact I felt it was about as perfect a weight to power ratio as I could have for my use.

I see a 90hp as a no win option.

Everyone thanks for you responses 338WM thanks for your input after checking the weight different between a 60HP to a 90HP its 80 pounds. Then adding a bigger fuel tank I'd be over 160 pounds more weight. It now would be less personnel or less camping gear. nobaddaysinak The new yamaha's in a 90 were 320 pounds. fullbush I meant to say honda or evinrude i know they are both a five year warranty I guess it with be a bad question on which is better of the two brands. (like comparing chevy an ford) Again thanks for all input. Dave

You might talk to folks who run both these motors. I've run 40hp Etec, Honda, Yamaha and by far the Honda was the least powerful. The 40hp Etec performed more like a 50hp Honda. I preferred the Yamaha as it provided the best balance of power, fuel economy, weight and reliability. I don't know about the 60hp motors but you might check around and see what folks have to say. I've also heard alot of folks like the Tohatsu for its weight. Let us know what you get and how it performs. I'm looking for a similar setup to do just what you're talking about.