Thread: leverevolution

Default leverevolution

after taking several elk with factory leverevolution ammunition i bought leverevolution bullets and powder when it became available. loading ( and reloading ) cases was easy, the fine flake powder meters well and the boattail bullets enter the case neck without a problem.

this last week, shooting over my cronograph these .33 caliber hornady leverevolution 200 gr bullets were moving (average) 2512fps. this is below factory ammunition specs, but the game will never know that.

accuracy so far is only average at 1.046.....but it was windy. anyway, i hope to fine tune ( up or down ) this ammunition for an elk hunt in november.

jh
    happy trails.
    jh

You are quite the elk hammer with those LEs and the medium bore Marlins. Good luck to you this fall. Are you hunting a bull or cow this year?

I have a good friend that hammered a moose this fall with LE ammo in his 338 Marlin, and anchored another moose for a hunting buddy. Terminal results were impressive in his .338. I hope to see its abilities on a brown bear in the next few weeks.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Man I can find nothing bad to say about this stuff in my 4570. I decided to not reload it though - just not a need as I have no reason to shoot that much of it - too many other guns to play with and my health and wallet have reduced my number of game animals to pursue. Hoping I can handle one more moose hunt though and tote that big ole smoke pole!
    I see they have a new 250 gn out in the 4570 - I have not got my hands on any of that yet...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    You are quite the elk hammer with those LEs and the medium bore Marlins. Good luck to you this fall. Are you hunting a bull or cow this year?
    hi kid: i am fortunate to be able to hunt at all as the yellowstone herd is down 70% from its high numbers just years ago. some people claim "climate change" but the only real change is the introduction of an uncontrolled wolf population. unrefuteable stats show a decline in elk-deer as the wolf pack increases to record (unchecked) numbers.

this year has also been a record breaker for violent grizzly bear interaction that so far, has resulted in 4 human deaths and numerous maulings. most of these attacks have been blamed on the human for interupting bear activity, some were criticized for trying to run ( and screaming while attacked).

obviously this is not the north american model of conservation, as knowlegeable trained professional opinions are ignored while left wing therorists are rewarded. strange indeed.

sorry about the rant.....

i am hunting a cow with my ( as yet ) untried .338 marlin. it is my hope to hunt close, and take my shot to fill the freezer. i love elk, and where they live, and so will cherish my time afield. while i am hoping....i would like this shot accessable by horses for the haul out. either way, this hunt will be so much fun.

good luck with your hunting, be it bears of ungulates.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Man I can find nothing bad to say about this stuff in my 4570. I decided to not reload it though - just not a need as I have no reason to shoot that much of it - too many other guns to play with and my health and wallet have reduced my number of game animals to pursue. Hoping I can handle one more moose hunt though and tote that big ole smoke pole!
    I see they have a new 250 gn out in the 4570 - I have not got my hands on any of that yet...
    They often stick in my 4570 when racking one in, think the gummy tip hangs up a bit. That said I am looking forward to the 250Gr magnaflex coming out, that may just be the bullet to flatten the trajectory of the 4570 a little. Rumour has it they can be pushed (out of a 22" Marlin) to around 2500FPS as a factory load, so reloaders may be able to squeeze a bit more. That should work out to about a 0-270yd point blank (assuming 5" radius kill zone). All assuming the rumour of .200 BC etc is correct.
    Reloading the gummies is a bit of an art as seating becomes inconsistent and you need to make a seat plug (drill out the center of an extra one) so the gummie tip goes into it and the seating pressure is on the metal of the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hi kid: i am fortunate to be able to hunt at all as the yellowstone herd is down 70% from its high numbers just years ago. some people claim "climate change" but the only real change is the introduction of an uncontrolled wolf population. unrefuteable stats show a decline in elk-deer as the wolf pack increases to record (unchecked) numbers.

this year has also been a record breaker for violent grizzly bear interaction that so far, has resulted in 4 human deaths and numerous maulings. most of these attacks have been blamed on the human for interupting bear activity, some were criticized for trying to run ( and screaming while attacked).

obviously this is not the north american model of conservation, as knowlegeable trained professional opinions are ignored while left wing therorists are rewarded. strange indeed.

sorry about the rant.....

i am hunting a cow with my ( as yet ) untried .338 marlin. it is my hope to hunt close, and take my shot to fill the freezer. i love elk, and where they live, and so will cherish my time afield. while i am hoping....i would like this shot accessable by horses for the haul out. either way, this hunt will be so much fun.

good luck with your hunting, be it bears of ungulates.
    working on load development, groups are showing improvement with hornady leverevolution bullets and hodgedon leverevolution powder. crono spread moved from 2512 to 2533 showing higher velocity seems to tighten groups. actually this is quite adequate, but i will continue to refine them.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I have a good friend that hammered a moose this fall with LE ammo in his 338 Marlin, and anchored another moose for a hunting buddy. Terminal results were impressive in his .338. I hope to see its abilities on a brown bear in the next few weeks.
    i would like to see that as well.......although i have done some shooting wit LE ammunition, handloading is a different proposition that will be even more satisfying in the field. please post your friends success on brown bear!
    happy trails.
    jh