Thread: Willing to help out new Baiters

Default Willing to help out new Baiters

I am not an expert, but I enjoy bear baiting. I have been doing it for 5 years or so now and have been doing alot of research on the right things to use and where to go. If you are new to this sport and want to learn or just have questions, please feel free to ask. I was new at one time and had nothing like this to help me out. I love to hunt and love to help others out. So P.M. or just feel free to ask questions. Happy hunting!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I would love to get with you on some places that would be good to go to. I live on Ft. Richardson and have been here only 2 months and am looking forward to doing some bear baiting next year.

Feel free to add me to the list or shoot me a call 907-317-7690 I have helped a few members get on their first bears and have some good tips and pointers as well.

Tim I hope you bag your bruin this year as well (if you are reading this)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I know a good place to set a bait barrel... Zero lake have fun lot of bears and hard on wheelers...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I know a good place to set a bait barrel... Zero lake have fun lot of bears and hard on wheelers...
    You and everybody else have fun with that.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    You and everybody else have fun with that.
    We are done with that area as well two broken half shaft, broke fan, tore up skid plate, a-arm guards broke off, tail gate latch broke off, side nets tore... That was enough for me...

I think it's more in your driving skills bwahahahaha!! Lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Do you know of any good spots to put a station? Im new to hunting and im not sure what i should be looking for. any info will help thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sole-man View Post
    Do you know of any good spots to put a station? Im new to hunting and im not sure what i should be looking for. any info will help thank you
    Get off the roads/trails.

Get in a unit with a high bear density.

Lots of scent. Bait is not as important. They're bears, they eat whatever. I like COB and molasses topped with marshmallows.

Bears generally don't really go on the move till last week of May to 1st week of June. Be patient. I put my bait out this year on May 10. Not a single hit till the 31st. Then it was on.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I think it's more in your driving skills bwahahahaha!! Lol
    Yawn you bore me with your talk...

Quote Originally Posted by sole-man View Post
    Hate to sound too snooty but some spots have more bears. Other areas might be more accessible? Anyways, the more information/background you can give ... would help others right size the answers to help you better. I set my stations in areas that were well away from ATV trails, and plan on locating them closer to drainages next year.

If you're in the Anchorage area, would suggest you drive north of Wasilla, north of Palmer, and drive to the Kenai Pennisula ... and generally think about how you're going to haul the station and supporting materials out to the woods. If your able to hike, then do some scouting for bear sign, verify you aren't too close to developments (roads, schools, trails, dwellings). If you have an ATV, plane, or boat ... you may have different options/opportunities. Snow left the area I hunted towards the end of May. With summer activities, I pulled my stations in the middle of June. So I agree that you'll want to plan this out (and have your materials in order) so as to not leave the equipment past the regulated season.

Since you say you're new to hunting, I would recommend you read the regulations (has specific information relating to bear baiting) and go through the bear baiting clinic. If you're an archer, then suggest you get archery certified if you are not certified already.

I find other documents available from the F&G to also be helpful.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...blb02mt_sc.pdf
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...pts/08_blb.pdf

I'm sure you'll have more specific questions later...but IMO, you're doing the right thing to try to learn about this opportunity well in advance of next season.

I have had great success in areas that are less than .5 miles off the hard ball but I also go into areas that you need to make your own trails. 2 bears down from site #2 in 2 days going up this weekend for some more scouting with a buddy from work to see if we can fill another notch in the belt

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

First off thanks for the willingness to share with a nebi in the wolr of bears. I have hunted all over the lower 48 but never for bear. My family and i are moving to Eagle River in 46 days (not that im counting). Got to love the stupid Californians moving up in the winter right. Stupid work. I have never had the opportunity to hunt in AK let alone over a bait station, and have been toying with the idea of giving it a go this spring. I love to hunt and a harvest is certainly nice but by no means a must. Lord only knows how many Elk i have seen and not taken home. What equipment should i get here and bring up. Things are way lest down here. Also for info i would be willing to "smuggle" in goodies. Thanks again.

Do yourself a favor buy either a 300 win mag or a 338 win mag if you are sensitive to recoil then you probably want to stay in commiefornia lol...But seriously get one of the above mentioned rifles if you don't have one...

I have been favoring my 300wsm the last few years. With a 168gr barns. Its Just ridicules accuracy out to about 600yds. Two years ago i plucked off an antelope at 596yds then liquified the lungs of a 780lb Elk with that load at 396yds. Its just devastating to flesh. I have never targeted bear should i increase to say 180gr or 210gr. I don't think my 1 in 11 twist would like it but i don't know as i have not loaded them for that gun, I do have some 210gr loaded for my 30-06 that would be fine. I don't think I will be hitting any real range from a stand. I love the 308 round and have it in 30-06 300wsm and 300 mag. I am selling the 300mag because i have better accuracy with hot loads from the 300wsm. I don't have anything larger then the 300 what would you suggest. I am not at all recoil shy but no one likes getting hit that hard. I need to get a side arm as well ant suggestions? Thanks again for the help and info.

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    I have been favoring my 300wsm the last few years. With a 168gr barns. Its Just ridicules accuracy out to about 600yds. Two years ago i plucked off an antelope at 596yds then liquified the lungs of a 780lb Elk with that load at 396yds. Its just devastating to flesh. I have never targeted bear should i increase to say 180gr or 210gr. I don't think my 1 in 11 twist would like it but i don't know as i have not loaded them for that gun, I do have some 210gr loaded for my 30-06 that would be fine. I don't think I will be hitting any real range from a stand. I love the 308 round and have it in 30-06 300wsm and 300 mag. I am selling the 300mag because i have better accuracy with hot loads from the 300wsm. I don't have anything larger then the 300 what would you suggest. I am not at all recoil shy but no one likes getting hit that hard. I need to get a side arm as well ant suggestions? Thanks again for the help and info.
    Your current loads are just fine. There is no need to upgrade. It'll handle any black bear just fine. You might carry some 210's in case you run into a grizz, but those 168 grn Barnes will kill a brownie no problem.

I figured Pike thanks. If that round will drop a 380lb pig in its tracks it will kill anything. Love the Barnes rounds.