Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-29 bomber bog. How to get through or around it??

Default K-29 bomber bog. How to get through or around it??

Rode the k-29 bomber trail to see the plane, but couldn't get through the bog without getting stuck. any secrets out there? Never did make it. Saw a Razr make it across but barely, and he had it pegged the entire trip.

Walk. Believe it or not that trail is only but a hand full of years old.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

got through this summer. Instead of keeping it pegged we just hugged the north side and went nice and slow as to not churn up the muck. Never had any problem going in or out. While we were there we watched a group of razors flog through the south side of the bog for over an hour. They were stuck constantly.

Just drive through it slowly! Seriously, we went up there this summer (I think it was in June) and made it all the way. We stopped right before the swamp and ate lunch. We watched a group of two razors and two wheelers for about an hour getting stuck and winching out. Even watched one of the wheelers going like h*ll, hit a hole, and do the belly flop in the mud! We then rode out there, stopped and talked to them (they never made it all the way due to getting stuck), the proceeded across without getting stuck and made it all the way to the bomber. Made it back same way without getting stuck. Crossed it going slow (about 10 mph). Many times going slow will get you where others with throttles pinned won't. We were rolling a 2010 Big Boss on stock tires and a 1998 Big Bear on worn out stock tires.

That's the secret wheel across that stuff slowly I do it in my 1600 lb ranger roll right across the guys on wheelers for some reason insist on hitting those areas full tilt and get stuck!

We were going slow and chose our path poorly I guess. After getting one wheeler stuck, we didn't have the time to get another one tuck. I'll give it another shot another time, or I,ll just park it and hike in. Thanks for the responses

If you don't have a ground anchor for your winch or simply do not have a machine that can make it through the bog then that should be the end of your trip, needless braiding of the trail is what will lead them to being shut down.

TWD that trail has been there going on a hundred years long before we had motorized vehicles in alaska that route was used with steam engines and cables to pull wagons up the hills the trails are now on.

Rdrash- I meant the fork that runs to the plane. I used to run that trail on horseback before it became a highway. I still get the willies coming down the first hill when it's wet. Last time we slid down and I had to brake with it in reverse sliding sideways. Still a fun ride.

One of these days I ride over to the willow side
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Yeah that short trail that runs down to the plane should still be a foot path as it used to be. The offroad clubs headed by AK extreme 4X4 had put in a bronze plaque at the crash site years ago at a pretty hefty cost at the time it was about a mile hike over to the plane from where the full size rigs were left on the trail.

Two years ago the plaque was unbolted and stolen from the airplane, it was big and heavy bigger than we thought someone would carry away but searching all around the plane did not turn it up. This saturday we are going back up with an etched stainless steal plate and will be drilling and epoxying it into one of the bigger rocks up there.

This is the new one

I hope people make the choice that its not a target and respect the crash site more in the future. So if you want to get out for a quick trip this saturday please come up the mountain.

im thinking about heading up on that trip, i got some new paddle tires i wanna try out getting across the bog at full tilt! we could have mud drags up there!! anyone wanna join me for the race? no side by side can beat me across the bog!

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Yeah that short trail that runs down to the plane should still be a foot path as it used to be. The offroad clubs headed by AK extreme 4X4 had put in a bronze plaque at the crash site years ago at a pretty hefty cost at the time it was about a mile hike over to the plane from where the full size rigs were left on the trail.

Two years ago the plaque was unbolted and stolen from the airplane, it was big and heavy bigger than we thought someone would carry away but searching all around the plane did not turn it up. This saturday we are going back up with an etched stainless steal plate and will be drilling and epoxying it into one of the bigger rocks up there.

This is the new one

I hope people make the choice that its not a target and respect the crash site more in the future. So if you want to get out for a quick trip this saturday please come up the mountain.
    someone will probably take it for a skidplate.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post

This is the new one

I wish they would not mess with it either! It was a pretty somber experience for me when I went up there this summer. That aircraft type (the B-29) is probably one of the most important aircraft in the history of the United States as it carried the payloads that brought an end to WW II. Further, this site is where 8 of our military airmen gave their lives in, from what I gathered from researching the crash, was a very tragic accident. A little respect should not be too much to ask for.

what kinda low life savages are stealing these grave markers? must be from oregon or california!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    what kinda low life savages are stealing these grave markers? must be from oregon or california!
    Same ones who shot holes in the tail section of the plane I suspect. No regard for a historic site or respect for the gravesite.

i can rig that maker this time with some explosives so when they pull it off, kapow!
    Semper Fi!

BTW, if you go up there this weekend it is recommended (you will be reminded by many people) to walk in. This is not an ATV trail. The club will be walking in with all of the equipment to mount the new plaque.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    BTW, if you go up there this weekend it is recommended (you will be reminded by many people) to walk in. This is not an ATV trail. The club will be walking in with all of the equipment to mount the new plaque.
    walk it up jack, i will meet you at the plane.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Don't let the atv trail fool you either. If it rains head caution to the topmost hills on the way down. They get nasty slick. Worse with snow in the forecast.

I'm okay with walking, so is there a walking trail and if so, where does it start? Are people wheeling you to the little creek and then hiking from there, or just picking a spot and blazing a trail across the tundra?

Glad to see the new marker. too bad we can't put up a trail camera to photo those who may deface it.

heres a picture of it installed up there, enjoy folks.

Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast