Thread: New to Fairbanks

Default New to Fairbanks

I just moved to Fairbanks a few days ago from Montana and it's my first time in Alaska. Of course I'll be missing out on any big game hunting this year, but I'd like to get into more small game stuff anyway. Winter is approaching a bit faster than I expected (rookie mistake), but I was just wondering what's good this time of year in this area. I ultimately just want to get outside, so any suggestions are appreciated. I'm definitely not asking for any great secret places (don't post that stuff online! I'll figure it out later) but if anyone has any general information I'm really just looking for a place to start. Thanks

Welcome to Fairbanks! Lots to do. Sounds like you are willing to get out there and seek adventure and knowledge mostly on your own. I like that. I'd be more than happy to steer you in the right direction. Been here some 41 years and may have learned something along the way? You picked a good place to start asking questions and reading past threads and such, but you also should stop by ADF&G or check out their website for lots of useful information. Tell us more about yourself, and your interests and we'll go from there.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Like I said I just moved to Fairbanks (literally unpacked my truck into a dry cabin a few days ago) and I'd really like to get some recreation in before winter hits. Normally I fish a lot and hunt deer and elk in the fall. This year, however, I'm missing out on big game and would like to get more into grouse, hare, ptarmigan, etc (something I've always wanted to do anyway). I did a little bit of grouse and hare hunting right before I left and had a blast, but since it's my first season I'm not super knowledgeable. Plus I know absolutely nothing about the Fairbanks area. I definitely plan on stopping by ADFG today and hope to get out tomorrow or the next day. I'm currently devoting most of my time to job hunting, but I would at least like to hunt something more exciting (and tasty) before my first Fairbanks winter sets in (although I generally like getting outside in the winter as much as possible as well). Since time is of the essence and I won't be able to spend all summer scouting myself, I sure would appreciate some general suggestions. I'm guessing I missed out on the best time for ruffies (berries go quick around here), but I've never hunted ptarmigan and would love to give that a shot. Like I said, I'm not looking for any secret spots, but if you've got any general suggestions of where I can start exploring that would be great. I'm just happy to get out there! Any fishing suggestions would be appreciated as well

Stacie

I'll send you a PM and we'll get you started on your grand adventure!

Jim

Small game hunting will be a great way to get started up here. There are several logging roads around the Fairbanks area that can be good for grouse. Go to the DNR office off of University Ave to get info on Standard Creek Rd. and Rosie Creek Rd. and there might be others...but thos roads should be a good way to access some public land for Grouse. You can head out the Steese Hwy to 12 Mile Summit or Egle Summit for ptarmagain. Also up the Elliot Hwy there are some high spots that hold birds. Once the snow gets deep grab your snowshoes and hunt hares along those logging roads. Those are a couple ideas...have fun!

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. I'll be sure to check all that out.

Hi, if your interested I am in the Fairbanks area, and I am always looking for someone to go hunting with (sadly I am often the only one with time) I also have dogs that hunt small game, furred and feathered to bring along

Two sources of information that I find useful are the BLM land status website and the Fairbanks North Star Borough GIS website. Find some federal, state, or borough land and start walking. Also, heed any advice Mr. McCann gives you - that will help more than anything. I pestered him with questions so much last season that I'm sure he was ready to send me a bill. If he charged per piece of advice.... goodness
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.