Thread: .45-70 Recipe needed (460gr)

Default .45-70 Recipe needed (460gr)

Gents,
    I need a little help. I have some 460gr LFNGC from Cast Performance to load for my 1895 GS, GSL, GST, whichever one it is. The guide gun.
    In any case, just looking for a good recipe. Seems to be a big gap between 405 or 420gr and 500gr and bigger in most of the books/sites I checked. Found one for 475gr, may have to use that.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

All reloading is experimental to some degree. You start at the starting loads and work up or if there is only one given load, you reduce by 5%/10% and work up. Normally a load given for a heavier bullet will be safe with a lighter bullet but I still wouldn't start at the max load for the heavier one. If someone on this forum gives you a load, you still should start lower and work up as it could work very different in his gun than yours. Back off the 475gr load by 3 or 4 grs of powder and work up should be more than safe. I still like to check with a couple of manuals before jumping on any load.

Ryan, PM sent.
    Mike

460Grain Hard Casts with A Gas Check, HMMmmmm sounds like quite the bullet. i finally settled down on those Stoner Casts 420 grain bullets for the 1895SS. they seem to have a nice broad flat nose, penetration on certain objects seems pretty pleasing. but id like to hear your follow up on this 460.

I can't help with the 460's, as all I've loaded are the 420's so far, but just wanted to remind people out there to be carefull when changing up components when loading for the 45-70. Case capacity varies quite a bit between the different brands of brass. I believe there is like an 8% difference in capacity between W-W and Rem brass. Starline falls somewhere in the middle. Basically, a max load recipe with W-W may be unsafe in Rem brass.

Also, at 45-70 pressure levels, pressure signs on fired brass are basically absent, so you very well may not know you're over-pressure until it's too late.

All I've read about the 45-70 with hard-cast is that there is a sweet spot for max penetration at around 1,650 fps.
    Nice Marmot.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I can't help with the 460's, as all I've loaded are the 420's so far, but just wanted to remind people out there to be carefull when changing up components when loading for the 45-70. Case capacity varies quite a bit between the different brands of brass. I believe there is like an 8% difference in capacity between W-W and Rem brass. Starline falls somewhere in the middle. Basically, a max load recipe with W-W may be unsafe in Rem brass.

Also, at 45-70 pressure levels, pressure signs on fired brass are basically absent, so you very well may not know you're over-pressure until it's too late.

All I've read about the 45-70 with hard-cast is that there is a sweet spot for max penetration at around 1,650 fps.
    all true so far as I am concerned!

I will add that after trying a number of different powders, i have settled on RL #7 for my heavy cast 45/70 loads. Dont know about 1,650 fps being the sweet spot for max penetration, but i can say that perceived recoil seems to increase rapidly above that figure...
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I guess I should have put in a plug for www.marlinowners.com

Great forum with an absolute wealth of knowlege on marlin firearms.
    Nice Marmot.

If anyone wants to load in the valley let me know. I'm wanting to start rolling my own in 300,243,45-70,44 and 460 but I'd like to start from someone with experience.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I ended up deciding to use about 44gr of 3031 to start out. I haven't shot it yet so I don't know what it's going to give me yet.
    I'm not trying to hot rod the bullet at all. In fact I'm hoping to get something accurate between 1300 to 1500 FPS. I don't enjoy beating myself up too bad.
    One thing I did learn setting up the dies last night: I have a bunch of Starline brass from HSM ammo and some Hornady brass from the Leverevolution ammo. The Hornady brass was shorter, short enough that the factory crimp die didn't even touch it.
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

Here is an interesting discussion on the .45-70 and also fits the .450 Marlin in the Guide Gun.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/60625.htm

Good write up from Murphy. Makes sense, drop and empty coffee can on some drywall and not much would happen. Fill it with concrete and try again.......now you got penetration.

I don't have velocity numbers yet, but my rifle really seemed to like that load (Post #9). Nice tight group, recoil wasn't too bad. Not even close to max load but when I have bullet holes touching that makes me happy too. And this was while shooting off a rolled up towel. Now on a good benchrest..........

Ryan J : Hello. Saw your post and recalled that I had read something recently in one of my older "Handloader" magazines. { Another reason for never throwing out gun/shooting/hunting magizines ,,, regardless of what the women may say...

Look for Handloader of August 2007. Article is titled: "Handloading the Marlin Model 1895 !"

also - look for "Handloader of June 2009. Article is "Controlling cast bullet expansion." Much good info for you. He shows how to make hollow points with your cast lead bullets.